Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default History of 537-541 Eureka, Wyandotte

I am very curious about the past of the building at 537-541 Eureka Road [[aka the building that houses Chicken Coop/Cream Barber Shop) in Wyandotte. This looks like it could've been a Church's Chicken originally, plus; the 1985-1991 telephone directories on Google Books only pull up snippets that don't show either address, requiring me to purchase them; the 1981 aerials barely give out any hints, the high-res 1997 aerials for this part of Wyandotte only bring me to a 404 page and it didn't exist when the Place Promo pictures were taken.

Last edited by mtburb; May-04-15 at 05:32 PM.

Wyandotte Historical Soc., or that library nearby should have the old Blue Books. The library offers and upstairs treasure chest with microfilm of all the old local newspapers going back to the early 1800s.

When I went to high school at RHS during the 80's, that was the Teddy Bear....serving up snacks and a quick cigarette break between classes. Recent incarnations were a pizza joint and cellular dealer. Currently it houses the Chicken Coop [[broasted chicken) and a barbershop called Cream.

Either in that block or the previous block was an old Coca-Cola bottling plant.
    In the early 60's Coke had a promotion where all the presidents were printed in the caps.
    Once you had all the presidents you got a free case [[plus deposit) of any Coke product.
    I went around to all the local gas stations and had them empty the cap catchers from their vending machines.
    Had enough for three cases

ellsa: When during the 80's? I recall that the Teddy Bear was the first tenant to take that spot after Church's Chicken closed. Was it ever Church's at all during your time at RHS?

wilderness: The Coca-Cola plant was actually on the opposite side of 5th Street, where Monroe Bank & Trust is.

I went to RHS from 80-84. I didn't live in Wyandotte prior to that, so I don't remember a Churches Chicken. Funny, we didn't get a McDonalds until 81 or 82. Can't fathom a Churches, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ellsa View Post
    Funny, we didn't get a McDonalds until 81 or 82.
    I recall hearing stories about the Biddle Avenue McDonald's that took place before 1981, so mid-70's seems more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I recall hearing stories about the Biddle Avenue McDonald's that took place before 1981, so mid-70's seems more realistic.

My memory could be faulty, but it seems as late as '79 I remember the Big Boy was our only option in that area. I will ask around, to satisfy my need to be right, lol.