Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

1. Default Free Viewing of the Movie 8 Mile in the Michigan Theater Garage [Postponed]

Please note that this event has been postponed. See details here:
    8 Mile Showing At Michigan Theater Garage Postponed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been informed of a hot free ticket event. The Michigan Building management has announced a bring-your-own-lawn-chair free showing of the the movie 8 Mile in the dramatic Michigan Theater Garage. See poster below.

As most of you know the theater/garage was a set for an extended rap battle scene in the film. I would expect the audience to erupt when that scene appears.

As it was not shown on the poster, I inquired further and learned that doors will open at 8 PM, there will be an as-yet-to-be-determined capacity limit. As there is no reservation system, seemingly it is first come, first serve.

DetroitYES 'world headquarters' are in the Michigan Building and I regularly park my car in that dramatic space. Work has been ongoing on the closed off areas of the balcony and the stairs leading to them. It is still unclear of the intended future use of the space and I do not expect those areas to be open for this event.

Not being sarcastic but honestly I don't get why this would be held or why anyone would be interested.

3. Default

Really? Not even someone who has never been this internationally-renowned dramatic setting or appreciates seeing a unique creative event atop the spot where Henry Ford created his first car? Not to mention seeing a highly regarded film on the site of one of its most significant scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not being sarcastic but honestly I don't get why this would be held or why anyone would be interested.

I guess to me it's like an organized tour of an abandoned building vs. seeing the same thing as an urban explorer. If I got together with a few friends, snuck in the Michigan Theater building after hours and played 8 mile on a laptop it would be cool vs. waiting for the cars to be cleared and pulling up a lawn chair at 8:00 pm to watch a movie I've already seen.

Intriguing. Can you bring your own popcorn? I see this is a Saturday. Maybe people will be lining up as early as 4 p.m.?

I guess to me it's like an organized tour of an abandoned building vs. seeing the same thing as an urban explorer. If I got together with a few friends, snuck in the Michigan Theater building after hours.
    So it isn't "cool" to you unless it involves a criminal act [[trespassing)? Interesting.

And for what it is worth; the Michigan Building is not abandoned.

I guess to me it's like an organized tour of an abandoned building vs. seeing the same thing as an urban explorer. If I got together with a few friends, snuck in the Michigan Theater building after hours and played 8 mile on a laptop it would be cool vs. waiting for the cars to be cleared and pulling up a lawn chair at 8:00 pm to watch a movie I've already seen.
    Geeze what a sourpuss..... it's rare that people are given the opportunity to see the remains of America's largest remaining indoor ruin [[the surviving theatre portion), and all you can do is grouse about it cuz it's more fun to see it trespassing. Well then stay home.

I saw Lawrence of Arabia [[ a movie I'd seen before too) at a Detroit Fox matinee in the 1990s on the big screen. Such an experience is no longer to be had, since the Fox discontinued their movie policy on the weekend long ago... sadly.

Now seeing the movie "8 Mile" where it was filmed is not an experience that you can get every day, and may never get again. Granted the people who descecrated this once opulent theatre are now long dead, and all the money in world won't resurrect it. But this is an interesting opportunity that doesn't come too often, due to liability insurance issues. But it's free... if you don't work in the building or want to spend $45 to go an a Preservation Detroit Theatre Tour... then this is a free unique experience that you won't find at your suburban or neighborhood neighborhood multiplex! .... and bring your own Popcorn!!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7720/...4a5b35d6_o.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/403864...865023/sizes/l

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4084/...1d807f8d_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4089/...74e2a437_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7731/...260b9aa2_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7749/...c85a77e6_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4099/...2de41e01_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1286/...4b5bfd99_o.jpg
    Last edited by Gistok; May-04-15 at 01:58 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Intriguing. Can you bring your own popcorn? I see this is a Saturday. Maybe people will be lining up as early as 4 p.m.?
    Good idea. Nikki's Pizza of Greektown fame which has opened a branch restaurant and bar in the street level retail of the Michigan Building appears to be the food concessionaire. A popcorn concession would be a smart move.

While popcorn and movies is a natural fit it could create quite a mess for the building owner. Popcorn tends to get all over the place and that parking deck could get very messy.

Sy.... they used to hold Lions Football tailgating parties there... so I don't think that a cinematic experience will be any worse. This may be a way for the new owner to try out some creative entertainments in a unique space.

But there are challenges here. As someone who has had the rare good fortune to have visited all the closed off sections of this former theatre [[hard to believe that nearly 1/2 of the the theatre infrastructure still survives)... this unique space provides some formidable challenges.

Access is only allowed via an elevator ride to the 3rd floor and then a jaunt down about 12 steps to get to the top of the parking deck inside the former theatre space... so although handicap access is not impossible... via the parking ramps... those ramps are off limits to general attendees for liability reasons. Also restroom access is only in the office block, and the interaction between the 2 separate but attached portions of the complex could lead to security issues as well [[wandering patrons).

Also any [[light turnout) weekend office block workers would likely be limited to parking on the first parking level.

But I'm curious to see if this event is a sign of future activity.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-04-15 at 06:25 PM.

Must be one of Dennis Kellifinos plan to raise some cash to rehab the long damage Michigan Theater area.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    While popcorn and movies is a natural fit it could create quite a mess for the building owner. Popcorn tends to get all over the place and that parking deck could get very messy.
    Like Gistok says it has been used for tail-gating and other partying for decades. It's just a big wide open concrete floor and and easy sweep up. There is worse than popcorn. Last year there was a skateboard event with platforms. The crews that took them down thoughtlessly spun out their drywall screws leaving them all over the place for those of us who park there.

Default 8 Mile Showing at Michigan Theater Garage Postponed

Sorry all, but we have to postpone the 8 Mile showing tomorrow at the Michigan Theater. We have a few technical issues to resolve prior to holding the event. We look forward to holding it in June still and then follow it up with additional movies.

See you soon and have a great weekend.