Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    you can get a service dog tag for that pit bull online. Works great
    You are !00% right. I would not have taken my shepard in, if it wasn't pouring down rain. I usually tie to a pole out front. They were poiite I have no issues, but it is funny everyone swarmed my dog. He really is fantastic looking. Very people friendly, doubt I'd rob my house though, he would protect me til forever. We have the 3 dogs and a big yard. They are all big babies unless protecting me. I would have been in and out in a minute if people had not swarmed.

I have exentive home owner and liability coverage. My dogs do something bad and coverage is there. They never have but than I have not been robbed.

I thought we were trying to help the OP find someplace to live.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    You are right, I am always wrong. I diverge often. Thought I gave a few pointers but I must be wrong. The Villages are great and dog friendly but once again I must be wrong. Many years ago our home was boarding housing. Not us. Rental is not our thing but lots of people do it. Tons of great dogs in the area. Interesting young people.

Was my comment directed at you????
    Your comment might not have been directed @ me, but being a public forum, mine was definitely directed @ your stupid suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Your comment might not have been directed @ me, but being a public forum, mine was definitely directed @ your stupid suggestion.
    Its so stupid that many people do it. Don't like it? Too bad.

Originally Posted by FormerEastsider

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    You are right, I am always wrong. I diverge often. Thought I gave a few pointers but I must be wrong. The Villages are great and dog friendly but once again I must be wrong. Many years ago our home was boarding housing. Not us. Rental is not our thing but lots of people do it. Tons of great dogs in the area. Interesting young people.
    I find humor in a lot of places and Dyes and it's cast of characters is one...
    Press on Regardless, Endeavor to Persevere. Onward!!!!!!!! Tally ho and all that...
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; May-08-15 at 04:11 AM.

Its so stupid that many people do it. Don't like it? Too bad.
    People do all kinds of stupid shit for the wrong reasons, then make things worse for those that have real needs, so you're right, it is too bad.

you can get a service dog tag for that pit bull online. Works great
    Great Idea!! I'm gettin one for my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Great Idea!! I'm gettin one for my wife!

I'll start cleaning out the spare bedroom........

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'll start cleaning out the spare bedroom........
    Or the garage...

Oh come on now my wife loves me I ain't no Mean Mistreater.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; May-08-15 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarahj View Post
    Can I live in Windsor? Lol. My coworker said something about needing visa to be able to live in Canada.
    LOL That's probably the funniest thing I've read. To answer, yes you need a visa and most likely it will be a employer sponsor visa. Seeing as you work in Detroit, it's highly dubious the Canadian government will let you settle in Windsor just for a "shorter" commute. Those tunnel and bridge wait times can be pains...

Or the garage...
    Don't laugh Django lived in my garage. He liked wierd living arrangements. When the weather got cold I made him move to the basement apartment

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What do you find appealing about that area? It has the worst air in Michigan and is probably the biggest drug hotspot in the region. Mexicans live there becauase it's cheap and undocumented, non English-speakers can function within a bubble. Once immigrants gain money and language skills, they're out of there.

Wow... If I wanted better air quality, I'd move to the country. I happen to be an immigrants rights activist and have spent much of my time in SW helping those Mexican, undocumented, non English speakers. I happen to be fine with the fact they don't speak English. Being in a Spanish speaking community is appealing to me. I love the panaderías, the carnicerías, the restaurants and the mom and pop shops there. As for the drugs, show me the statistics for being the biggest hotspot in the region. Your "probably" sounds like some serious stereotyping or something. I'm looking and the crime statistics from the last month and I see 2 drug charges on the far end of Mexicantown for possession of Marijuana.

Sorry for the late responses. Work has been hectic and I haven't been able to get back on.

As for the parking garage, my company assigns us a garage to be at. We get free parking there and a shuttle is provided to get us to our buildings. That's why I'm tied to it. I could be closer to work if I wanted to pay for parking myself but that gets super expensive and is unnecessary since a spot is provided for me. It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.

I googled the Detroit Monitor. I don't see any links. I've been driving around areas that y'all have been suggesting and have a list of places to call to check on. I've been through the villages and haven't seen much for rent. Same with Boston-Edison [[I love the houses there!). Most of it seems to be for sale and I'd rather rent. Mexicantown is the next on my list to see if there is anything available. Dummy me went to do it on the 5th and forgot about all the festivities going on.

Smarahj,
    If you need a lunch break while on your search... enjoy!

http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/re...nt?oid=2199887

Quote Originally Posted by Smarahj View Post

Sorry for the late responses. Work has been hectic and I haven't been able to get back on.

As for the parking garage, my company assigns us a garage to be at. We get free parking there and a shuttle is provided to get us to our buildings. That's why I'm tied to it. I could be closer to work if I wanted to pay for parking myself but that gets super expensive and is unnecessary since a spot is provided for me. It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.
    I can understand not being 100% clear if you may be especially busy or a bit rushed here and there [[or more often), so no worries, but I just wanted to clarify this:

You said two things, which I think I understand, but would rather just verify as they seem to not go together:

You said [[1) Your current commute is 1 hour [[one-way I presume) and then you went on to say [[2) “It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.”

Given the locations given [[Romulus, New Center, and Downtown), I would presume that between waiting for and traveling on the shuttle, it adds about ½ hour each way, to your commute, but only takes you about 20-30 minutes to get to the garage or Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by DTownDave22 View Post
    I can understand not being 100% clear if you may be especially busy or a bit rushed here and there [[or more often), so no worries, but I just wanted to clarify this:

You said two things, which I think I understand, but would rather just verify as they seem to not go together:

You said [[1) Your current commute is 1 hour [[one-way I presume) and then you went on to say [[2) “It just happens to add about an hour [[due to the shuttle turn around times) to my normally 20-30 minute commute.”

Given the locations given [[Romulus, New Center, and Downtown), I would presume that between waiting for and traveling on the shuttle, it adds about ½ hour each way, to your commute, but only takes you about 20-30 minutes to get to the garage or Downtown.

You are correct. To actually get to the garage is only about 25 minutes but having to wait for the shuttle to arrive and then for it to take me to the downtown area takes quite a bit longer. I leave at 7:30-7:45, reach the garage by 8:10-8:15 and then am usually at my desk by 8:55. The shuttle takes forever.

Okay, here's my advice: you said your max rent is $ 750, and you'll need the place to be dog friendly. You should be able to find a one-unit place in one of these neighborhoods between 400 and 650 that is dog friendly: Mexicantown, Midtown, North Corktown, Woodbridge or maybe Corktown [[little more expensive these days). Or, get a roommate and split a two bedroom for like $ 700 [[you'd save some dough - just a though). Ditch the parking garage in the New Center [[maybe your company will even give you a parking reimbursement). Instead, Start paying for a monthly parking space with one of the lots downtown; that should cost you about 100 bucks a month. Now, you're not tied to being near this parking garage - just a thought

So you have free guarded parking somewhere in New Center, right? You don't like driving to that garage and waiting for the shuttle, but it's free, so you would prefer to not mess with a good thing.

fine.

I see two choices: 1) you find a place within a 10 minute walk of the garage and call it a day. 2) you find a place within a 10 or 15 minute walk of your employer and leave your car parked in the garage most of the time. When you need to use the car, take a cab or use the shuttle, and retrieve your ride.

To move to the Pointes, Hamtown, Corktown or Canada will still force you to travel, park and wait; hence, you have not upgraded your time-management. By living in the Pointes, etc you will simply trade a new commute for an old one.

If your garage is between Woodward and the Lodge, south of Grand Blvd I would think something in the 4th Street enclave would be ideal.

http://www.cityplacedetroit.com/

Try this place here undergoing a 10 million dollar renovation. Studios at 729.00 on the northern edge of Lafayette Park and two blocks south of Eastern Market

West Village is in the process of renovating two [[ 2 family flats) on Van Dyke. Did you try the apartments on Van Dyke between kercheval and Jefferson....one block away from Sister Pie, Craftwork, Vegan Soul Food, Parker street market? The Van Dyke bus is pretty good in the morning....will get you to work in fifteen - twenty minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzsuzuki View Post
    West Village is in the process of renovating two [[ 2 family flats) on Van Dyke. Did you try the apartments on Van Dyke between kercheval and Jefferson....one block away from Sister Pie, Craftwork, Vegan Soul Food, Parker street market? The Van Dyke bus is pretty good in the morning....will get you to work in fifteen - twenty minutes.
    That area used to be pretty upscale and urbane especially around St. Paul, Agnes & Parker. Is it still?
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; May-12-15 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    That area used to be pretty upscale and urbane especially around St. Paul, Agnes & Parker. Is it still?

Upscale? Meh...no... Urbane? ..more and more each year. Very diverse area...trying to rehab or demolish the few blighted homes in the area....attracting young, energetic entrepreneurs., quicken employees, teach for America recruits....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast