Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Smarahj View Post
    You are correct. To actually get to the garage is only about 25 minutes but having to wait for the shuttle to arrive and then for it to take me to the downtown area takes quite a bit longer. I leave at 7:30-7:45, reach the garage by 8:10-8:15 and then am usually at my desk by 8:55. The shuttle takes forever.
    There are a number of factors that go into your decision.

Some of the main factors that you mention that influences where you can live includes:

1.) Budget

2.) Allowance of dogs of your size [[some apparently have limits after taking a peek at a few properties)

3.) Preferred relative location

While I don't know much about Detroit overall as pertaining to what you are asking about [[primarily rental properties that fit what you are looking for), and for example, if Downtown would be both within your budget or allow dogs the size of your dogs, I wouldn't rule out looking Downtown or nearby [[like along the Detroit River). This would take time, so I understand you wanting to get a bit of input about where to look.

I also primarily asked about parking cost because higher rent areas are expensive for parking. To make an informed decision about commuting cost, you would need to look at the actual cost of owning and driving your car [[insurance, registration, maintenance, fuel) and think about how valuable your time is to you.

If you are very busy, the New Center Parking Garage/shuttle might not be quite as ideal. If you have the time to spare, and don't have as much expendable income, then the New Center Garage/Shuttle may be fine.

Alternate Commuting Options: I also asked about the parking garage/timing because there are alternate options I thought you should consider and didn't even touch on.

Have you seriously considered, at least to pursue down the road after you get settled, looking into alternate options [[in place of or in addition to) for commuting within the city [[both to work and elsewhere) via other options? It might be too much work to weigh your options now, but you could at least consider factoring in how you will get to your job Downtown [[and other points of interest), into where you decide to live, so it remains an option.

Other ways of getting wherever include: Walking, biking, taking the DDOT bus.

Without getting into any real details about the pros and cons and other details [[and there are many to consider), I thought I'd at least ask first, if it's something you have considered and would be open to.
    Last edited by DTownDave22; May-14-15 at 12:20 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4