Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Moving to Detroit! Where should I go?

I've started a job downtown and am looking for a much shorter commute, 15 minutes or less. I found a place for rent right behind the Motown Museum but am not sure of the area. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to look? It's been a hard search because I do have 2 border collies that will be coming with me and most of the places do not allow dogs.

Please help!
    Last edited by Smarahj; May-04-15 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Check out "The Cabbage Patch" in Grosse Pointe Park. Lots of nice rentals there and it is a very safe area as long as you don't get too close to Mack Avenue or Alter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarahj View Post
    I'm started a job downtown and am looking for a much shorter commute, 15 minutes or less. I found a place for rent right behind the Motown Museum but am not sure of the area. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to look? It's been a hard search because I do have 2 border collies that will be coming with me and most of the places do not allow dogs.

Please help!
    Without knowing about a little more about your lifestyle and expectations this is a tough one to answer. You will find rentals that will allow a well behaved dog or two. I rented for awhile before buying something.

Read this forum, the news, and other sources before moving here. Good luck!

Found something that might be of use to you.

http://www.trulia.com/local/detroit-...ime:15_commute

Northeast Hamtramck will do for a year or two till you get acclimated.

I'm started a job downtown and am looking for a much shorter commute, 15 minutes or less. I found a place for rent right behind the Motown Museum but am not sure of the area. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to look? It's been a hard search because I do have 2 border collies that will be coming with me and most of the places do not allow dogs.

Please help!
    If you want a short commute to Downtown, maybe try Midtown, Corktown, Brush Park or Woodbridge?

The Villages are a great choice, too. Plus, it's a real neighborhood with shops and businesses close to Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    The Villages are a great choice, too. Plus, it's a real neighborhood with shops and businesses close to Belle Isle.
    Thank you for promoting our "neck of the woods". We do have great neighbors, lovely old homes and close proximity to downtown. What I can't find near by, we buy on line. Great area!

What I forgot to say is there are riverfront apartments and rental condos that allow dogs. Canine to five, dog sits, for reasonable prices daily. We really do have a great area. Eric C lives up the way, don't really know each other but are on nodding amiability.

Plenty of stores, conviences and eateries. Glad Eric is back to posting. Tired of getting booed for loving my community. Nice to have support for backing our eastside villages.

night-timer's suggestions are good. I 2nd those - I think that's your best bet for sure - especially if you're relatively young

OK, so a little more information would be helpful. Lol. I'm a single 27 year old. I'd prefer something specifically in the city of Detroit, not Grosse Pointe or the surrounding area. I'm originally from here but my family moved out when I was still pretty young. My weekends are usually spent on Belle Isle, the riverfront, downtown, Corktown and Mexicantown, plus I work in First National... So, I'm in Detroit quite a bit. Part of the issue is my budget does not fit the areas around here. Max that I can do for rent is $750 and the areas along the riverfront and downtown are well over that.

I didn't think to check Brush Park, I'll add that on my list.

I am looking for a short commute something so that I can get from my parking garage in New Center in less than 20 minutes to Downtown or within walking distance so that I don't even have to use the garage. My current commute from Romulus takes over an hour, between the freeways and the shuttles, I'm on the road by 7:30 for a job that I don't start until 9.

are you looking for a short commute to the new center, downtown or both? obviously, midtown is between the two, and if you give it a good look you can find a one bedroom there for less than 750. you might want to walk around there, and just write down phone numbers of landlords posted on buildings. i'm sure you could get a really nice place in the new center in your price range.

Move to Hamtramck. It is right by the New Center. It is a city surrounded by Detroit. Rentals are as cheap as you are going to find in the Detroit area, and we have our own police force. Plus there is a bustling art scene here. Last Saturday I walked to the Motory City Bar which is rated as the 11th best burger in Detroit. I walked down Joseph Campau and stopped at 2 art gallery openings, a record store special event, and the Strawberry Festival at a local church. It's a happening place! And still cheap enough for the artists, so it's cheap enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hogz View Post
    are you looking for a short commute to the new center, downtown or both?
    A bit of both. I'll have to walk around Midtown this weekend and see if I can find something, online certainly hasn't been helpful with trying to find a place.

I've never been in Hamtramck, I've just wanted to be in Detroit for so long that I've been pretty set on it. I know it's like a 10 minute drive from Hamtramck to downtown so that's not so bad.

[[I promise I know how to spell. I keep getting autocorrected.)
    Last edited by Smarahj; May-04-15 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Grammer

I've never been in Hamtramck, I've just wanted to be in Detroit for so long that I've been pretty set on it. I know it's like a 10 minute drive from Hamtramck to downtown so that's not possible bad.
    I don't disagree with the previous recommendations, but you might also consider Virginia Park. It's closer than Hamtramck, and very convenient to New Center. Less stuff right there though.

If you want to be within 15 minutes of the First National for $750 and two dogs...go to Windsor. While the crossing can be a hassle from time-to-time, what you will save in insurance will put a smile on your face every month.

and the view is great.

I think the issue is going to be the two border collies-- they're not lap dogs. And I'd prefer a house or flat with a yard rather than an apartment for dog-convenience. I think Hamtramck is a great compromise in that it's close enough and safe enough for a single female. I love SW Detroit too, but am not sure I know that area well enough on a 24/7 basis to be able to choose a place to live, and to walk dogs there.

I've no idea how comprehensive this set of rental listings is, and I've noticed that it includes more than Midtown. You might find it interesting to browse through, just to get an idea what's out there. http://midtowndetroitinc.org/live/rent

Don't blame you for wanting to get out of Romulus. The revenue enforcement gauntlet on I 94 and surrounding streets is really bad. They stopped me for rolling a stop sign which i did not do. Then they wrote me up for 45 in a 35 when i was going 35. You take time off work to fight it, then you end up in front of a magistrate that can only take your payment or schedule a hearing. So now you have to take more time off. Total scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    I think the issue is going to be the two border collies-- they're not lap dogs.

That has definitely been the issue. Most apartments want the small yippy lap dogs. While mine think they are lap dogs, they most certainly are not. I've been on that website too and have a list of places that I'm working through. Most of them have been a no so far or they haven't returned my phone calls.

I work in First National but being 15 minutes from it really isn't a big deal, it'd be awesome if I could find a place if not that's ok too. Being 15 minutes from my parking garage in New Center is, the shuttle can take me to my building from the garage.

I love the SW Detroit area, specifically Mexicantown. I walk around down that way a bit too. Most of it isn't too bad. The people are helpful. I'll have to check out some of the stores to see if there are any for rent signs up.

Can I live in Windsor? Lol. My coworker said something about needing visa to be able to live in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Don't blame you for wanting to get out of Romulus. The revenue enforcement gauntlet on I 94 and surrounding streets is really bad. They stopped me for rolling a stop sign which i did not do. Then they wrote me up for 45 in a 35 when i was going 35. You take time off work to fight it, then you end up in front of a magistrate that can only take your payment or schedule a hearing. So now you have to take more time off. Total scam.
    All downriver towns are heavy on enforcement. Was that the OP's reason for wanting to move? One advantage to that area is the commute tends to be going the opposite way.

Smarahj, can you explain the parking garage thing? Did you lease a parking spot in New Center while living in Romulus? Or is the parking garage in New Center company owned and they provide a shuttle from New Center to First National.

either way, why in the world are you tied to a parking garage?

I love the SW Detroit area, specifically Mexicantown. I walk around down that way a bit too. Most of it isn't too bad. The people are helpful. I'll have to check out some of the stores to see if there are any for rent signs up.
    What do you find appealing about that area? It has the worst air in Michigan and is probably the biggest drug hotspot in the region. Mexicans live there becauase it's cheap and undocumented, non English-speakers can function within a bubble. Once immigrants gain money and language skills, they're out of there.

I was wondering about the emphasis on the parking garage too. Bham1982, that's a pretty intense response, and I don't believe that to be true across the board. One nice area close to downtown in SW would be around Grand Boulevard south of Vernor. And yes, you will have better luck calling landlords for Midtown than looking on the net

gnome, if she is making a good income, the taxes in Windsor would not be pretty - just one consideration - not to mention the legality of living in another country -

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast