Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Kalamazoo: Earthquake measures 4.2 on Richter scale!

did not feel a thing, we were outside doing yardwork. Chainsaws provide their own distraction. we do provide temp shelter to folks on occaision, i heard that windows rattled and the bed shook. no reason not to believe.We are in the ring of fire. Never heard it happen in MI before!

I feel bad for the guys who were getting a vasectomy at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    My wife and grandson [[4yrs) stopped and stared at each other while my daughter was painting a room and noticed pictures and the ceiling fan swaying.

Me? I was losing a battle to keep from nodding off reading something.

5. Default

Galesburg [the epicenter] is the home of my favorite Michigan beer - Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Thankfully it survived. Now queueing the countdown for the thread, "Could Detroit be the next Katmandu?".

But a least Michigan makes a rare appearance on the world seismic monitor.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-03 at 8.30.50 AM.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  48.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Galesburg [the epicenter] is the home of my favorite Michigan beer - Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Thankfully it survived. Now queueing the countdown for the thread, "Could Detroit be the next Katmandu?".

But a least Michigan makes a rare appearance on the world seismic monitor.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-03 at 8.30.50 AM.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  48.4 KB
    Two Hearted Ale is really good, it's deceptively potent. Bells Oberon is pretty nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I feel bad for the guys who were getting a vasectomy at that time.
    I've thought of that [[not vasectomy, though), namely, surgeries, especially things like eyes [[e.g., cataract surgery, Lasix, etc.) when a quake comes.

Eh, not a good time during most surgical procedures....

Michigan do get earthquakes. But not as worst than living in California.

The earth really did move in Climax, MI:

Name:  Kzoo_earthquake.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  27.4 KB

Going to be tough, but...........

I live only a few miles from the epicenter. The shaking was quite strong, whole house was shaking. There was also a rumbling noise. Never felt anything like that before. Lasted about 15 seconds, it was so surprising since we don't experience that scale of shaking in Michigan.

I guess we all shake over certain things.... but earthquakes here?

Anyone driving on our roads would not have noticed an earthquake.

Happens alot here in Michigan, that lastt one that I remember that was strong was in 1984, I was sitting in my dorm room in Rocheser and I was listening to Earnie Harwell announcing the tigers game, I heard everything on my shelves rattling and I heard earning Harwell say wow we are having an earthquake

I heard we are on the New Madrid fault, which I dont know if its true they said last nite on the New we wen not on any fault, but another station said we were on the New Madrid fault, if we are we are in trouble one massive quake hundreds would be killed, many big cities are on this fault,
    Detroit, Cleveland many other ctites too. This fault is due to have a major quuake soon, been 100 years since the last major one

NEW MADRID FAULT, WHEN WILL IT SNAP?

New
    Madrid Fault

What is the New Madrid fault line, and why is it so
    much on the tips of tongues these days?
    The New Madrid fault line essentially
    follows the Mississippi River from Illinois to Arkansas.
    Last edited by scooter; May-04-15 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Happens alot here in Michigan, that lastt one that I remember that was strong was in 1984, I was sitting in my dorm room in Rocheser and I was listening to Earnie Harwell announcing the tigers game, I heard everything on my shelves rattling and I heard earning Harwell say wow we are having an earthquake

I heard we are on the New Madrid fault, which I dont know if its true they said last nite on the New we wen not on any fault, but another station said we were on the New Madrid fault, if we are we are in trouble one massive quake hundreds would be killed, many big cities are on this fault,
    Detroit, Cleveland many other ctites too. This fault is due to have a major quuake soon, been 100 years since the last major one

NEW MADRID FAULT, WHEN WILL IT SNAP?

New
    Madrid Fault

What is the New Madrid fault line, and why is it so
    much on the tips of tongues these days?
    The New Madrid fault line essentially
    follows the Mississippi River from Illinois to Arkansas.
    Michigan's not really on the New Madrid fault, but if/when the Big One hits St. Louis I'm sure folks in Michigan will feel it... Last big quake there was apparently a 6.6 in 1895.

Interesting USGS report here though mostly over my head except the pretty maps. More vulnerability in the east/midwest than most of us care to think about. In DC we're still repairing some things like the National Cathedral that were damaged by that earthquake in Virginia in 2011.
    Last edited by Junjie; May-04-15 at 03:17 PM.

You've got that right... just a series of pot holes, concurrent one after the other would almost replicate a mid-range rumbling from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Anyone driving on our roads would not have noticed an earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    You've got that right... just a series of pot holes, concurrent one after the other would almost replicate a mid-range rumbling from afar.
    So true. Everyday is an earth quake for those of us who drive. And just like the people in California, we're waiting for the Big One. Only in our case the big one is a drive shaft, front end, rear axle, etc. And with Prop 1 sure to lose tomorrow, no relief is in sight. Just more daily quakes and aftershocks for us.

Awesome post DR. But you forgot to mention one broken alloy wheel! I'll take that to go... don't forget the napkins for the tears!

I live in Kalamazoo and I certainly felt it.