Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Stock Exchange inside Penobscot Building

The space I am talking about is in the Penobscot Building, 23rd floor of the old tower. Photos of it somewhat recently are here:

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1194634674

Anyone have any info on its days as the Detroit Stock Exchange? News articles? Photos?

What about later when it was a nightclub?

Looking for anything and everything here.

Thanks.

If you go to the Miller Canfield building [[150 W. Jefferson?), the lobby off of the Larned side has artifacts from the old Detroit Stock Exchange. Can't recall what's exactly there, but some of the history survives.

The Detroit Stock Exchange started out in 1903 in the basement of the old Hammond Building, on Fort St. across from City Hall. Soon thereafter it moved to the Moffat Building [[where the Penobscot Building tower is now), and then, around 1913, to the Dime Building. In 1921 it relocated to the Penobscot Building, probably moving into the tower when it was completed in 1928.

The exchange built its own building on Griswold between Jefferson and Larned, but it was unfortunately completed in the very bad year of 1931. It's unclear if the exchange was ever able to move into and operate in this building, but it is clear that they were back in the Penobscot Building on the 23rd floor in 1934 and operated there until trading ceased in 1976.

Here is a picture of the old Detroit Stock Exchange building, posted on this forum by Dtowncitylover back in 2008. The building was torn down to clear the way for the parking garage of the 150 West Jefferson building in the late 1980s

EastsideAl - that's great, thanks!

Anyone know if Parducci did the ceiling inside the stock exchange?

Definitely a big shame and I think Griswold really lost out on this. Griswold is very hit or miss, with some very nice buildings at street level and some not so nice buildings. Although if 150 West Jefferson wasn't designed so terribly it wouldn't be an issue.

And I've always heard the "they saved some of the ornament and reused it" thing before but have never actually seen it. Well I just looked in google maps and finally found something. https://goo.gl/maps/oIXL8 The tan piece inset into the stair tower on the corner. Pretty much the most pointless thing ever. The rest is probably up there too. It's worth pointing out though that despite the roof plaza being one of the building's main architectural features I've literally never seen a photo of it.