Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: D-YES Picnic

If Gannon can face down the jackbooted Guardians Of Injustice, I'll come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    As always, the food sign-up and other details will come closer to the date, once we see how many people plan to attend. Thanks!!
    What about those that base their decision on whether to attend by what food will be there?

There'll be something for every taste...... or just come take in the sun [[hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    What about those that base their decision on whether to attend by what food will be there?
    Don't be silly. This is Detroit, food just is a part of sweet communion. A nice sharing if you please. My husband and I barely weigh Anythng and no issues cooking for community events. It really is just a nice thing to do. Enjoy sharing
    Last edited by sumas; May-05-15 at 01:40 AM.

So far Sunday, June 14 is looking good. Belle Isle. 11am-3pm. Details and sign-ups to come once the date is confirmed.

If you are planning to attend, or are thinking about it, please let us know with a post or a PM. Thanks!

We will be there and bring a friend. State park rules are you need to register. I am quite happy the annual DY picnic is to be resumed.

I will bring the traditional ptomaine salad.

I have tons of outdoor furniture but can't find my collapsible chairs. They are here somewhere. Did find the canvas ones. Chair in a bag stuff. I'll bring my usual spinach cheese pie and cookies.

Dogs ok or not? Usually bring our puggle but poor puppy is so old [[24) he might not survive the excitment.

No problem with having a dog or two around. I just keep my distance.

I did catch wind of one event happening on Belle Isle on June 14: The Motor City Triathlon is scheduled there starting at 8am.
    http://www.3disciplines.com/Events/M...rse-Info-Maps/

Based on the bike and running routes and the length of time this event takes, I don't think we will be able to get on the island to our designated site, so we likely will have to consider having our picnic on July 26.

Thoughts?

No problem with having a dog or two around. I just keep my distance.

I did catch wind of one event happening on Belle Isle on June 14: The Motor City Triathlon is scheduled there starting at 8am.
    http://www.3disciplines.com/Events/M...rse-Info-Maps/

Based on the bike and running routes and the length of time this event takes, I don't think we will be able to get on the island to our designated site, so we likely will have to consider having our picnic on July 26.

Thoughts?
    Fine with any date, just the longer into the summer is more bees.
    Putz has attended a few, he is 24 yrs old now almost toothless I doubt you need to keep a distance. My other dogs, differant story, I wouldn't bring them.
    Last edited by sumas; May-13-15 at 09:19 AM.

July 26th works for me.

I will be there at July 26. Keep us posted.

Bump, it is still July 26? [[I probably won't go but think picnics are great).

Yes, Sunday, July 26 is still the date. Once we get past the July 4th holiday, we will share details and ask for people to RSVP.

Hello. Hope you are enjoying the summer so far!!

Sorry to report that due to family obligations, the July 26 date no longer works for me and The Grillmaster. We've looked at our calendar and see only one possible date in August: Sunday, August 30. I've checked the Belle Isle Conservancy calendar and there are no events posted for that date.

Once again, a couple weeks ahead of that date, I'll post to see if folks are interested in getting together that day and if so, we'll get the picnic details in place.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kathleen

Ok, sounds great!

Kathleen, on another issue, I met some people tonight who swear Margaret Mitchell finished Gone With The Wind in a cottage in Bay View, the Methodist retreat on the outskirts of Petoskey. They now own the cottage and are convinced that is the truth. You ever hear of such a thing?

Maybe it means someone finished reading it there because all evidence says it was begun and finished in her apartment in Atlanta, GA

Gnome: Thanks for this story. To my knowledge, Margaret Mitchell wrote all of Gone With The Wind while living in Atlanta. The bulk of the story was written while she and John lived in the apartment in what is now known as the Margaret Mitchell House at Peachtree and 10th. By the time she turned the manuscript over to Harold Latham and made the agreement with Macmillan to publish her book, they had moved to another apartment at 17th and Pershing, and that is where she put the finishing touches on her book. I've never been able to confirm that Margaret Mitchell visited Michigan, although I heard that she visited Detroit in the 40s.

Gnome: Thanks for this story. To my knowledge, Margaret Mitchell wrote all of Gone With The Wind while living in Atlanta. The bulk of the story was written while she and John lived in the apartment in what is now known as the Margaret Mitchell House at Peachtree and 10th. By the time she turned the manuscript over to Harold Latham and made the agreement with Macmillan to publish her book, they had moved to another apartment at 17th and Pershing, and that is where she put the finishing touches on her book. I've never been able to confirm that Margaret Mitchell visited Michigan, although I heard that she visited Detroit in the 40s.
    I'm sure many people have heard this but Margaret Mitchell's writing was interrupted a few times by her paperboy - Ernie Harwell.

Yup, Ernie was a paperboy for the Atlanta Journal and Margaret Mitchell was one of his customers. And that is just one of several Ernie ties to Gone With The Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm sure many people have heard this but Margaret Mitchell's writing was interrupted a few times by her paperboy - Ernie Harwell.
    Haha. I thought this was a Jjaba post at first! [[And she kissed him on the .....)

Darn it! I was finally going to be able to attend my first picnic but now the date change has knocked me out. Maybe next year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    Darn it! I was finally going to be able to attend my first picnic but now the date change has knocked me out. Maybe next year.....
    Sorry, Margarite!! Hope we will be able to meet up with you next year, if not sooner!

Still aiming for August 30.

Bump.....still aiming for Sunday, August 30. Will post about 10 days ahead to confirm the date and see what kind of interest there is in attending.

Now's your chance to show your interest in attending this year's DetroitYES picnic.

Sunday, August 30

Starts at 12 noon and runs until late afternoon. We will gather on Belle Isle, just south and east of the Shadynook Picnic Pavilion along Loiter Way across from the Flynn Skating Pavilion. Click Here for Google Street view and Map

Dave and I will bring a grill, some chairs and tables, a canopy, plus picnicware [[plates, napkins, plasticware, and cups), condiments, and other supplies. Starter munchies and beverages, including water, provided.

Attendees should bring their own chairs, beverages, and meat or other grill item, plus a dish and/or dessert to pass. And remember that you need the Michigan Recreation Passport to gain access to Belle Isle via car.
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...=736&type=SPRK

Please help us plan for this event by responding by Wednesday, August 27 to this thread and letting us know that you are interested in attending, how many are in your party, and what dish you plan to bring to pass.

If you have never attended a DYes gathering, the picnic is a great way to meet and make new friends. Please join us!!

If you have questions, please post or PM me.

Thanks!! Looking forward to see you all there!!!

Kathleen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast