Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default May 23, 1956: Elvis at the Fox Theater

I tried searching the old posts for info about this but didn't see anything about it. If a discussion thread exists, please let me know.

Anyway, I happened upon this link: http://scottymoore.net/detroit56.html which discusses Elvis' 3 shows at the Fox in great detail. One of them was at 4pm...a Wednesday school night. Tickets were $1.50!

I'd like to get a local perspective on this event. Were you or any of your family there? I'd like to hear its impact on people and the city at the time. Did people think it was as big a deal as we think it is now, or a fad? Also, I'd be interested in knowing what radio stations kids listened to, and what their parents listened to as well. It was funny to read that people over 30 were horrified by rock and roll back then, and I'm sure it was no different in Detroit....a music savvy town in its own right.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

I thought Elvis only played Olympia Stadium, then the Pontiac Silverdome, site of the epic pants splitting on New Years Eve.

From what I gathered.... after Memphis and Las Vegas, Elvis performed in Detroit more often than anywhere else. All 3 of his 1956 shows were on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I thought Elvis only played Olympia Stadium, then the Pontiac Silverdome, site of the epic pants splitting on New Years Eve.
    Gives a whole new meaning to "two for the show".....