Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Mr. Alan's

Default Mr. Alan's

Two for 75.
    When did it become ELITE. They just opened in Harbortown. At least nine locations throughout MI. What's the deal?
    Last edited by ronaldj; April-28-15 at 01:39 PM. Reason: speling/typing

Bishop said the re-branding was part of an effort to transform the image of Mr. Alan's from one that was focused on specific price points to something a little more upscale. The company is infamously known for its "$29 or two for $50" marketing campaigns, but with the re-branding, that focus isn't as prevalent.
    http://www.mlive.com/business/ann-ar...ann_arbor.html

the answer is...never.

I noticed the name change on the store in the Gateway Marketplace. I assumed they were trying to go upscale and wanted me to believe they would have more limited edition stuff. Eventually, I went in I saw that it was usual stuff, most of which I've gotten too old for, minus the Dickies and other inexpensive items.

The thing is, even though Mr. Alan's had the 2 for $50 commercials, it was't an inexpensive store. The 2 for $50 items were usually off brands or clearance stuff. The Nikes and Timberlands were $100-$150. The brands I wore in high school were $40+ for shirts $70+ for jeans.

Forman Mills has probably taken much of the low end market, so Mr. Alan's has decluttered their stores and spent money on better displays to get people to spend more money on their designers.

Worked for the one in Hamtramck for, like, a day. It was my first time really realizing just how hideously backstabbing competitive [[as if work, itself, isn't stressful enough) "commissioned" pay is. I was just thrown in there, and no would help me out. The basement was this huge, unorganized wasteland of shoeboxes, I couldn't figure out. When they wanted me to lie to this poor immigrant that the shoes he was buying "for a wedding" were "genuine leather" [[when they clearly were not), I said nuts to that!

Probably the reason I always land the worst jobs, is that I won't lie to get or keep any of them out there. Lying is the number one tactic I've heard most folks say they used to get their job or what their jobs involve. I'm far from perfect or accurate, but I'm also a man of stubborn principals.

I was highly disappointed to see that Mr Allen will open in that spot. Who keep steering these businesses to prime locations along Jefferson? I was hoping for a Dunham or somr dporting goods store to open in that spot instrsd of another urban ghetto store

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Worked for the one in Hamtramck for, like, a day. It was my first time really realizing just how hideously backstabbing competitive [[as if work, itself, isn't stressful enough) "commissioned" pay is. I was just thrown in there, and no would help me out. The basement was this huge, unorganized wasteland of shoeboxes, I couldn't figure out. When they wanted me to lie to this poor immigrant that the shoes he was buying "for a wedding" were "genuine leather" [[when they clearly were not), I said nuts to that!

Probably the reason I always land the worst jobs, is that I won't lie to get or keep any of them out there. Lying is the number one tactic I've heard most folks say they used to get their job or what their jobs involve. I'm far from perfect or accurate, but I'm also a man of stubborn principals.
    Good for you! And I sincerely mean that.

Mr. Alan's is a taxpaying business that provides Detroiters with desperately needed jobs and obviously tons of Detroiters patronize. It's great that they're finally investing WITHIN the city limits after redlining it for a good 15-20 years.

So I don't understand all of the whining. If you don't like what they offer, then you're free to take your money elsewhere. I do just that when it comes to Moosejaw and John Varvatos...
    Last edited by 313WX; April-29-15 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post

Mr. Alan's is hardly the only business in Michigan with shady practices, especially after the auto industry collapse. I can bet you my life savings on that.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I was highly disappointed to see that Mr Allen will open in that spot. Who keep steering these businesses to prime locations along Jefferson? I was hoping for a Dunham or somr dporting goods store to open in that spot instrsd of another urban ghetto store
    Yes because it's a store that caters to primarily black shoppers means it's an "urban ghetto" store

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Yes because it's a store that caters to primarily black shoppers means it's an "urban ghetto" store
    Thats funny. We are white seniors. The selection was decent. The service very courtly. We did not spend much [[$30) but we support our area businesses as best we can!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Mr. Alan's is hardly the only business in Michigan with shady practices, especially after the auto industry collapse. I can bet you my life savings on that.
    Yeah, and in all fairness and due respect to all the Mr. Alan's abounds, it was probably just that location that was under some shoddy, immediate management. After all, this was back in '96, and the store probably got fine-tuned afterwards. Oh, and yes, I can guarantee you [[from Detroit to Boston and all points in between) from many personal experiences that that particular Mr. Alan's is far from the only shady business operating in Michigan. It has only been in the last four years that some over-the-table businesses actually pull stunts like withholding paychecks [[whether I got to get a lawyer or the Dept. of Labor just to breathe down their necks and loosen that paycheck from their hands is fine indication that I was wise to leave such places).

I've seen very little decent activity from politicians [[and I've written a few) to make efforts to protect consumer and worker alike from the ever-growing confining and poisoning effect corporations have on us all. I do not want to hear any idiotic pap from corporate apologists on these threads, either. Corporations are faceless institutions [[not individuals). They do not represent a model of what smaller businesses have to endure. Mr. Alan's obviously is a smaller chain...but lately, the issues of labor have been irking me greatly [[just in time for May).

Another urban ghetto store? What did you expect the Wilshire Blvd. Trifecta: Neiman's, Saks, and Barney's?