Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Could Detroit be the next Ferguson or Baltimore?

If a white Detroit policeman kills an African American could we be next?

No.

Understandably, Detroiters are already pretty defeated, calloused and apathethic...

Nope. Not since Coleman Young integrated the DPD

Ain't much left to burn. 'Burbs could catch the dickens.

Mike Brown and Freddie Gray and Eric Garner [[and ...) weren't outliers. Their deaths ignited massive protests because the communities they were a part of had endured a lot of abuse leading up to their deaths.

I don't have my ear to the ground in terms of Detroit police and their relations with the public. But it doesn't sound like the DPD has that kind of contentious, abusive relationship with Detroiters.

if I had to guess, I'd say the likelihood of rioting due to police misconduct is much higher in the suburbs. I'm remembering some recent incidents in Grosse Point, Inkster, and Warren. I can also imagine something going awry with all of the private security in the downtown area. But again, if there is a pattern of chronic misconduct, as a reasonably news-addicted Detroiter, I am not aware of it.

Wayne County in general and Detroit specifically tend to treat these issues as seriously they should.

Guilty[[Budzen Nevers) or innocent [[Weekly) they get their day in court [[and that piece in shit in Redford will soon see). Which is ALL that can be asked.

It's one of the few things this area can stand tall about.

The DPD has like two white guys on the force.

I'm kidding, but really in an majority black police force, the citizens trust the police more and the issues are usually with non-DPD police personnel who tend to be majority white.

Either way, I can't really imagine there'd be a riot over it because there's not many areas of value within Detroit. What, is a mob going to burn down a strip mall at 7 Mile and Gratiot? In an area that already has hundreds of burnt out buildings? No one would know the difference between what was already there and the aftermath.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; April-27-15 at 09:53 PM.

Wasn't Detroit the first Fergusson, or Baltimore?

Detroiters are not apathetic rather the majority of us are too old to react. The police are integrated and generally respectful and responsive. Neighborhoods peaceful. Neighbors have no problems ratting out scum. We are mostly home owners and respect each other.

Rioting is insane, along with looting, arson etc. We saw/lived the damage from 1967. Doubt we will accept that scenario again.

If the prisons would quit dumping dregs into Detroit we will be just fine.

The justice system works well and rogue cops go to jail.
    Last edited by sumas; April-27-15 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Detroiters are not apathetic rather the majority of us are too old to react.
    There are way more "younger" people in Detroit than there are in Baltimore, so that has nothing to do with it.

The fact is people in Detroit are more so concerned about not getting shot or robbed by their fellow "neighbors" while attempting to save what's left of their fractured neighborhoods after 6 decades and counting of rapid decay and decline.

If Detroit were still the densely populated, bustling, economically prosperous city it was in 1967, things would be a different story IMO.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-27-15 at 10:09 PM.

Look at all the new development on Woodward. Couldn't any incident be used as an excuse to riot and pillage? There are a lot of bad people around that would do it with any opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There are way more "younger" people in Detroit than there are in Baltimore, so that has nothing to do with it.

The fact is people in Detroit are more so concerned about not getting shot or robbed by their fellow "neighbors" while attempting to save what's left of their fractured neighborhoods after 6 decades and counting of rapid decay and decline.

If Detroit were still the densely populated, bustling, economically prosperous city it was in 1967, things would be a different story IMO.
    That is mean. I have great neighbors and we all look out for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Look at all the new development on Woodward. Couldn't any incident be used as an excuse to riot and pillage? There are a lot of bad people around that would do it with any opportunity.
    Any sizable mob that formed in downtown or Midtown would be larger than the actual area of contiguous blocks that have development. It'd be pretty easy for police to disperse mobs into nearby vacant and already burned out neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ain't much left to burn. 'Burbs could catch the dickens.
    That would be the end of Detroit's comeback.

A series of urban riots between now and Nov 2016 would lead to election of a Republican president.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    If a white Detroit policeman kills an African American could we be next?
    Nope won't happen. First of all the city has lost half it's population and the people who are left are [[black) senior citizens, over the age of 40, not many young people in the city.

For those of old enough to remember, in 1967 Detroit was one of the most advanced in race relations until 12th Street started to burn and the national guard was called in. It may happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Nope. Not since Coleman Young integrated the DPD
    Baltimore, if anything, has a blacker power structure than Detroit. Black mayor, black police chief, black police force, and a much blacker metro area and state.

Obviously if it can happen in Baltimore it can happen in Detroit. The assumption that riots are less likely to occur if an area has black leadership and/or a black police force isn't based on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    A series of urban riots between now and Nov 2016 would lead to election of a Republican president.
    That's what I was thinking. These riots, if they continue, or are followed by others, will ensure a Republican president. Looting of liquor stores and lottery outlets, while laughing and taking selfies, will not be interpreted as an act of political protest in Middle America.

I think it's extremely naïve to think any one incident couldn't quickly escalate in Detroit as easily as dozens of other cities. There are plenty of white officers working for the DEA, FBI, Homeland Security, etc. The shooting of a fugitive yesterday by a black officer caused a small disturbance that could have quickly escalated. Fortunately the Detroit Police seem well aware of this and Chief Craig quickly came to the scene to calm matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    That is mean. I have great neighbors and we all look out for each other.
    And there we have it. There are no troubles in Detroit, everyone! Sumas has great neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. These riots, if they continue, or are followed by others, will ensure a Republican president. Looting of liquor stores and lottery outlets, while laughing and taking selfies, will not be interpreted as an act of political protest in Middle America.
    Unfortunately, "Middle America" has a pretty myopic view of any complex situation. Reinforcing bias, at the expense of reality, is an art.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think it's extremely naïve to think any one incident couldn't quickly escalate in Detroit as easily as dozens of other cities. There are plenty of white officers working for the DEA, FBI, Homeland Security, etc. The shooting of a fugitive yesterday by a black officer caused a small disturbance that could have quickly escalated. Fortunately the Detroit Police seem well aware of this and Chief Craig quickly came to the scene to calm matters.
    Also naive to think the riots will be confined to the original incident location.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Precisely right.

Mayor Young's integration of the force also makes it less likely.

But never say never. The affected cities probably didn't see this coming either. Detroit isn't a tinkerbox -- but these protests are the tail wagging the dog. Sometimes the dog does get wagged.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    And there we have it. There are no troubles in Detroit, everyone! Sumas has great neighbors!
    If you have bothered to read my posts over the years, I am well aware of the issues and city problems. Viable neighborhoods have had to fend for ourselves.

Yes I have great neighbors so what is your problem?

We have strong block clubs, street associations and area associations. We have excellent relations with our police precinct. Our rec center has no funding, so community has created activities for our youth.

Detroit bashing is getting tiresome.
    Last edited by sumas; April-28-15 at 09:02 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast