Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Holiday Inns in Bloomfield Hills & Birmingham

Does anyone have a photo of the old Holiday Inn at 1801 S. Telegraph Rd before it was demolished?

Also, was there ever a Holiday Inn in Birmingham, MI located in a different location than where the current HI sits on the east side of Woodward Ave?

Finally, was there ever any hotel/motel located across the street from the current Birmingham Holiday Inn [[on the west side of Woodward), that was demolished to make way for the current corporate offices that sit at that location?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

There was never a hotel across Woodward from the Holiday Inn Express in Birmingham. Prior to it being a Holiday Inn, that building housed a different hotel, and across the street was just the rear side of the adjoining residential block on Park Street. There had been, for years, a hotel called the Barclay House [[or Barclay Inn?) on the Southwest corner of Woodward and Maple, but it changed hands to become another chain, and was then torn down entirely. Other than those two and the Townsend, to the best of my memory [[which, in fairness, only starts [[cognitively at least) in 1979), there haven't been any other hotels in Birmingham.

Can't help with the Bloomfield Hills part, sorry.
    Last edited by knwb; April-27-15 at 03:29 PM.

The Barclay Inn was flagged as a Holiday Inn Express for a while, I believe in the mid-2000s, before the current one got the franchise. The current one was then known as the Hamilton.

Thank you very much. The "Barclay Inn" clue led me to this:

http://patch.com/michigan/birmingham...ing-this-month

http://patch.com/michigan/birmingham...ch-into-august

I believe this may be the place I was looking for, especially if it was, in fact, a Holiday Inn back in the '80s[[?). It definitely was a Holiday Inn at some point in the past, according to the article.