Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tiger Baseball in a Deep Freeze

Anyone else think it's crazy to play this game tonight? Weather is in the 30's, strong winds and snow. David Price throws 50 pitches in the 1st inning because he can barely grip the ball. We know the game is all about money but if that`s the case why risk losing your ace and your season by having him pitch in this weather.
    Never mind that for the few fans that showed up the game is already over.

The unbalanced schedules will be blamed since the Yankees only come to Detroit once this year.

They've played in worse weather. The only time I ever went to opening day it snowed.

We need a retractable roof stadium.

They showed a stat that said Price has given up like 12 runs against the Yankees in his last two outings.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Anyone else think it's crazy to play this game tonight? Weather is in the 30's, strong winds and snow. David Price throws 50 pitches in the 1st inning because he can barely grip the ball. We know the game is all about money but if that`s the case why risk losing your ace and your season by having him pitch in this weather.
    Never mind that for the few fans that showed up the game is already over.

The unbalanced schedules will be blamed since the Yankees only come to Detroit once this year.
    The 'stupidity' of this, and it backfired, is playing April games in the Midwest, Denver, etc. at NIGHT.

I know day games are bad for attendance, etc. but the AVERAGE low for yesterday is 40.

What does mean? Unless temps are above normal, game conditions are likely to be bad.

Kind of like 'betting on the best case scenario' which is a bad way to live life.

Yes, agree MLB scheduling is the problem with the NYY only making one trip to Detroit and mutual off days rare in baseball.

I'd like to see MLB go back to 154 games and make judicious usage of the open dates.

I feel that baseball is a terrible sport. It's booooring, slow paced, and when it comes to weather they're wussies. They won't play because it's raining!? While all the fans are forced to get soaked in the open stadiums.

In football weather is a fun thing that's part of the game. Raining, snowing, foggy, whatever, it will make for a very interesting game. In baseball they're all wussies that are allergic to rain or something.

You're painting with a pretty broad brush.

The game of basketball is played indoors under environmentally controlled conditions. Are they allergic to wind or temperature swings? The game, in order to be played well, requires these conditions.

It's just that certain games can tolerate environmental changes better than others. Football is largely a brutish sport. Baseball is a little more finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I feel that baseball is a terrible sport. It's booooring, slow paced, and when it comes to weather they're wussies. They won't play because it's raining!? While all the fans are forced to get soaked in the open stadiums.

In football weather is a fun thing that's part of the game. Raining, snowing, foggy, whatever, it will make for a very interesting game. In baseball they're all wussies that are allergic to rain or something.
    Do you live in the Detroit area? Detroit has had an indoor football stadium for over a decade.

That said, I remember when football ended in November. This year [[actually 2016) the Lions complete the REGULAR season in JANUARY in outdoors in CHICAGO.

If the NFL wants the 'Endless Season' then building indoor stadia is the way to go for 1/2 of the NFL cities.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

I love the game and what some consider boring is for me time to chat with those around me check the phone and more. The game doesn't required glued-to attention. However I agree on the wussie part. I think the game should go on regardless of the weather. I'll be there today bundled up to the nines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I love the game and what some consider boring is for me time to chat with those around me check the phone and more. The game doesn't required glued-to attention. However I agree on the wussie part. I think the game should go on regardless of the weather. I'll be there today bundled up to the nines.
    Two points Lowell:

1). There are legitimate questions about cold weather and pitchers' arms. Does it [[very cold weather) post an injury risk?

2). As far as the others, football is a game played in [[near) constant motion by everyone on the playing field. They can, optionally, also dress warmer for certain positions, e.g., OL and DL, and wear gloves. It would be hard for Miggy to wear a glove on his throwing hand.

In my younger year, I played some adult outdoor hockey in Michigan. Yes, there were below zero wind chills, but hockey is another sport with a lot of constant movement [[while on the ice, though).

I feel for the baseball umps during cold, wet games. Not a lot of action at 2nd base...

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Yes, agree MLB scheduling is the problem with the NYY only making one trip to Detroit and mutual off days rare in baseball.

I'd like to see MLB go back to 154 games and make judicious usage of the open dates.
    I know it won't ever happen due to owners wanting to maximize profits, but I'd like to see the day-night double header end. I'd like to see them go back to back to back double headers. That would shorten the season as far days played, and they could start/end earlier.

Baseball is the summer game. It's best played in warm weather. The teams play almost all season in decent conditions and then with the added playoff rounds the Tigers have been forced to play the last 2 World Series in cold, wet miserable conditions - ruining it for the fans paying huge dollars and the quality of play. As Steve suggested they need to cut back on the schedule by 10-12 games but of course this won't happen because local tv revenue drives the game.
    I cringed watching Price & VMart playing last night but we lucked out and lost Nathan for the season instead. At 40, surgery probably means his career is over. Stick the 10 million in the pocket and go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Do you live in the Detroit area? Detroit has had an indoor football stadium for over a decade.

That said, I remember when football ended in November. This year [[actually 2016) the Lions complete the REGULAR season in JANUARY in outdoors in CHICAGO.

If the NFL wants the 'Endless Season' then building indoor stadia is the way to go for 1/2 of the NFL cities.
    LOL, yes, I do live in the Detroit area. Detroit has an indoor football stadium, but if it were outdoors, they would play in bad weather. I love watching games in Green Bay where you can't even see the lines on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Hanging out with my dad is the only thing that makes me want to go to a baseball game. I can remember my dad and I going to games with flannel PJ pants on under our jeans to keep warm. I always have a good time with him.

Hockey is my thing, I can sit down and actively watch a hockey game for 2-3 hours. My dad is coming over tonight to watch with me :-)

I was going to suggest a 100M retractable roof for Comerica paid for mostly by the taxpayers, but on second thought I'm not going to suggest it. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

[[I don't think I could take the arrows coming my way).

I must admit I do enjoy watching certain sports where the elements can be a factor. Football, auto racing, soccer and the Red Wings outdoor game at the Big House when it snowed. But certain sports like baseball and tennis don't play well in inclement weather.

33 degrees at Comerica according to Mario...

I'm vaguely alarmed that rain is projected for April 25, there will be a tribute to Negro League Players at the game vs. the Indians that day.. Game time is 1:08 p.m... Sigh.. I guess we'll see..

I froze, the Tigers froze [and choked by balking in a run], we all froze.

Click^ for larger view.

Fortunately the game was a day game. That was the best the Tigers and MLB could do.

BTW, the ave. high for today in Detroit is 59.

Like game time temp was what 26 degree below average... Ugh!!!!