Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sterling Heights, MI.

What makes Sterling Heights, MI. a fast growing populace city then Detroit? How are the neighborhoods? What makes the urban Landscapre better then any other cities?

Any thoughts?

Its called Less Crime and Better Services and it doesn't look like world war 3 has just taken place there. Oh yea and did I mention that they have real stores.....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What makes Sterling Heights, MI. a fast growing populace city then Detroit? How are the neighborhoods? What makes the urban Landscapre better then any other cities?

Any thoughts?
    Fast growing populace? urban landscape? This post must be a joke, right?

Who knows why Sterling Heights grows.. what a stick in the mud, cookie cutter, bleach white blip on the radar that place is

Sterling Heights?

Run ... run fast the other fucking way! The place is about as appealing as chewing broken glass.

Sterling Heights not only has some nice parks, lakeside mall, two first run movie cineplexes. It's also centrally located to Warren, Clinton Township, Troy, Macomb Township, and Shelby Township. There are a lot of options out there when it comes to shopping and restaurants. There's a hotel in Sterling Heights that has it's own waterpark.

Low millage rates. It does its own sewerage which makes the water bills pretty low and it has good city services and a good school system [[UCS).

Looks like the anti-Macomb County crowd is in full force again... so lets see...

23% of the residents have a 4 year degree or more...
    Per capita income about $25,000 [[family of 4, about $100,000)
    % born in other countries... 24%
    Main ethnic mix... Polish, German, Italian, Irish, English.

The very lush and green Clinton River valley runs thru Sterling Heights, which accounts for many parks and green spaces.

Although I personally would not like to live there [[the Mound, Van Dyke and M-59 heavy traffic corridors run thru there), it does has a rather high quality of life, and as 5th largest city in the state, is relatively one of the safest areas in metro-Detroit.

The Utica School District, which covers much of Sterling Heights [[as well as Utica and Shelby Twp.) is one of the largest and best school districts in the state.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-06-09 at 11:47 AM.

Too many police for some, not enuf for others. Used to be low tax base, til the economy slid. They have so many police, they pay them to go around in neighborhoods and pull down garage sale signs from Thursday to Sunday, instead of fighting crime. Many dwellers feel more secure with the amount of cops. Robbery is going up fast, just like everywhere else.

[quote=Gistok;52346]Looks like the anti-Macomb County crowd is in full force again... so lets see...quote]

Yep - Two or three comments is 'in full force'. Exaggerate much?

Jt1... just wait... the thread has only begun.... you've been posting here long enough to know that...

But in case you didn't... I'll point that out to you later...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Jt1... just wait... the thread has only begun.... you've been posting here long enough to know that...

But in case you didn't... I'll point that out to you later...
    That may happen but claiming it as fact a couple posts in is a little pre-mature on your part.

Oh, and to add - Macomb County sucks.

Sterling Heights is fast becoming a really diverse place to live. Within two blocks of my home we have more diversity than just about any single place in the metro region. We have Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, Chaldean refugees, African Americans fleeing from Detroit, Albanians, Polish, Ukrainian, Armenian, Italian and more. AND, these people are almost all newly-arrived to the USA or have been here no longer than 10 years. I do not know why SH appeals to the newly-arrived folks, but it does.

City services are pretty good and if you call the cops, then will actually come within 5-10 minutes rather than next Friday. Warren Consolidated and Utica Schools are above average and offer excellent programs The parks are well-kept and the streets plowed in the winter time. You do have to drive a bit to get to the nearest expressway with 696 being 3-4 miles south and 75 about 4 miles west. Overall, it is one of the bets places to raise a family in SE Michigan.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Per capita income about $25,000 [[family of 4, about $100,000)
    While I agree with your overall post, the median household income in Sterling Heights isn't even close to 100k. No community in Macomb County is close to 100k.

Median household income is around $60,000. For a family of four, that would be the same or a little higher, since median household size in most suburbs is somewhere between three and four persons.

One thing about Sterling Heights which seems little-known is its diversity. Sterling Heights is SUPER diverse, with most of its old-timer whites having Polish, Italian and German backgrounds, and with families that usually arrived within the last 60 years or so, so there is still some connection to the old country.

And the newcomers are really transforming the city. Sterling Heights has the largest Chaldean population in the United States. They are concentrated on the far western reaches of the city. There are also tons of Arabs of all types, and a fair number of recent Albanian and former Yugoslavian immigrants.

I have also heard of a growing Filipino population in Sterling Heights, though I don't know the specifics.

Can't wait to see what the future holds! A giant melting pot!

Here's how I explain to people who could never imagine living in Sterling Heights why many people actually like living in suburbs like Sterling Heights.

Look at how people view cars. Some are enthusiasts, they appreciate performance, fine design, high style and feel that their car is an expression of themselves. Others view cars as merely functional appliances to get reliably from point A to point B. Exquisite design and high performance are not valued by these car buyers. These people buy boring but reliable appliances like Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords.

In the housing world, places like Sterling Heights and Troy are the Camrys and Accords. They very capably meet many peoples' needs for safety, reliable services, good schools, convenient shopping but that's it. These folks neither desire nor seek houses that offer old-world craftsmanship, walkable neighborhoods, proximity to cultural institutions or sporting venues. They are willing to drive to get to those places.

They're certainly not willing to give up the safety, services, schools and convenience they desire for the attributes like walkability or plaster walls that they don't really value in the first place. A newer house in a safe well-kept sub with good schools completely meets their needs. Trying to convince them that they should desire something else is like trying to convince the average Camry driver that they really ought to buy a Corvette.

Now, this analogy is imperfect and necessarily treats people with broad brushstrokes. Still, think of the "bland suburbs" as Camrys and you'll understand why so many people prefer the suburbs just as the Camry is often the best-selling car.

There's another explanation for why some prefer a "bland suburb" that has to do with peoples' need for external stimulation vs. internal stimulation but thats for another thread.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Here's how I explain to people who could never imagine living in Sterling Heights why many people actually like living in suburbs like Sterling Heights.

Look at how people view cars. Some are enthusiasts, they appreciate performance, fine design, high style and feel that their car is an expression of themselves. Others view cars as merely functional appliances to get reliably from point A to point B. Exquisite design and high performance are not valued by these car buyers. These people buy boring but reliable appliances like Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords.

In the housing world, places like Sterling Heights and Troy are the Camrys and Accords. They very capably meet many peoples' needs for safety, reliable services, good schools, convenient shopping but that's it. These folks neither desire nor seek houses that offer old-world craftsmanship, walkable neighborhoods, proximity to cultural institutions or sporting venues. They are willing to drive to get to those places.

They're certainly not willing to give up the safety, services, schools and convenience they desire for the attributes like walkability or plaster walls that they don't really value in the first place. A newer house in a safe well-kept sub with good schools completely meets their needs. Trying to convince them that they should desire something else is like trying to convince the average Camry driver that they really ought to buy a Corvette.

Now, this analogy is imperfect and necessarily treats people with broad brushstrokes. Still, think of the "bland suburbs" as Camrys and you'll understand why so many people prefer the suburbs just as the Camry is often the best-selling car.

There's another explanation for why some prefer a "bland suburb" that has to do with peoples' need for external stimulation vs. internal stimulation but thats for another thread.
    Det_ard, good post. It works both ways, though--there are plenty of suburbanites on here who talk down to city residents because taxes, schools and city services aren't their top priorities, and things like craftsmanship and walkability are, and that's just as dumb. I'm glad that people who live in Sterling Heights like it, and it's great that they've found a place that suits their needs, but it simply is not my kind of place. No amount of talk about how low the taxes are or how nice the parks are is going to convince me that I want to live there.

I think the reason people from outside Sterling Heights can't imagine living in Sterling Heights is because very likely their only exposure to Sterling Heights is that they work there and/or commute through the city on their way to and from whereever they work. Doing that, your only view of Sterling Heights is the industrial or business corridors on Mound or Van Dyke, neither of which look very visually appealing. If you get off of the main roads and on to the side streets [[as I sometimes did, when visiting friends who lived there and/or just for pleasure on recreational bike rides), Sterling Heights can certainly be a very attractive place and certainly worth considering as a place to live. Especially if one is close to work there.

DetroitDad Guest

Great post!

Many of the problems with places like Sterling Heights are mentioned in the Suburbs are Unsustainable thread, in which we attempted to outline why the suburbs are unsustainable, to much controversy. I even put on my tin foil hat and discussed peak oil. Sterling Heights serves a great purpose for some, if that is what you are looking for. Unfortunately, the Sterling Heights growth model will not last, but foresight of reality isn't something the average Sterling Heights resident is always utilizing.

While many Metro Detroit suburbs are often exactly what people want in a suburb, the same can not be said about the urban areas for the people who desire them. Those people who want an urban environment are not choosing Michigan, and the lack of good urban areas really are a drag on successful living environments like Sterling Heights. In order to attract jobs and people [[tax base) to our region, we need to have top notch cities and suburbs that complement each other.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; August-06-09 at 07:42 PM. Reason: reworded

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I think the reason people from outside Sterling Heights can't imagine living in Sterling Heights is because very likely their only exposure to Sterling Heights is that they work there and/or commute through the city on their way to and from whereever they work.
    I think the reason people from outside Sterling Heights can't imagine living in Sterling Heights is that it isn't their kind of place. I don't understand why people keep trying to convince everyone else that they live in the greatest place on earth. I like where I live, and that's good enough for me. I don't need everyone else to like it too.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Its called Less Crime and Better Services and it doesn't look like world war 3 has just taken place there. Oh yea and did I mention that they have real stores.....
    I love this, someone comes out warning about potential Macomb bashing after the very first reply to the thread is some overly-aggressive, not-to-subtle jab at another community/communities. Stay classy, snotty prig. And, good luck with Sterling Heights Assembly, you equally one-industry town.

It's one thing to promote and be proud of your city. It's entirely another to be a dick about it and try to tear down other communities to elevate you own, Searay.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-06-09 at 09:40 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Less crime and better services than where? Other suburbs? Detroit? Other regions? That was a very vague post.

So they have growth because they don't look like a third world country and have real stores? Then why do we have stagnation and depopulation in Grosse Pointe, Livonia, and others?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; August-06-09 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Grammar

I am a German-Irish American. I attended school at Henry Ford II which is in the UCS district. That is the reason why my parents moved from the inner-ring suburbs to Macomb Township; because of the schools. While I have always been more interested in the city and not the suburbs, I know that I live in a good area and I am proud of it. My high school was probably 80 percent of students from sterling heights and all of them were proud to be a part of it. There is a large population of Caldiens, Albanians, Italians, and Germans in the area. While I am not a big fan of the suburbs, I see no reason in putting them down. It is just a better lifestyle in the suburbs compared to Detroit. Someday I hope that changes, but for now, it is just reality.

For comparison purposes. What city in the metro area would you consider a corvette? And why?

crawford Guest

A corvette would be something in central Oakland County. Bloomfield/Bham area would be the obvious answer.

I actually sorta like Sterling Heights for it's ethnic diversity, and the fact that it seems to be well run and has a good quality of life for a cheap price. I could happily live there, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

At the same time, I think it has a so-so reputation because it's so damn ugly on so many major corridors. Growing up in Oakland County, I remember taking M-59 to that hideous retail clusterf--- on Hall Road. That street is just disgusting. Van Dyke is hideous too.

I also remember childhood trips driving to Metro Beach along Big Beaver/Metropolitan Parkway. Big Beaver was this fancy road with glitzy office buildings, hotels and Somserset. Then you hit the Sterling Heights line and all you saw were fugly ranch homes, giant power lines and massive industrial corridors. It just looks kinda crappy coming from the west. It would be like, "Yep, kids, we're definitely in Macomb."

Another risk is that the sprawlburbs to the north seem to be rapidly expanding, possibly at Sterling Heights' expense. I assume all those cheapo McMansions in Macomb Township are filled with people "moving up" from points directly south.
    Last edited by crawford; August-07-09 at 12:14 AM.

According to the dictionary, "Sterling" means " thoroughly excellent."

The usual usage of the term "Heights" is in relation to elevation, as New York's Wahsington Heights and Brooklyn Heights neighborhoods are located on areas of extreme elevation in relation to the rest of the area. Sterling Heights is at an elevation of 614ft. It is bordered by Warren [[627ft), Troy [[748), Utica [[650), Shelby Township [[679), Clinton Township [[876), & Frasier [[610). Therefore the only one of their direct neighbors that they would actually qualify in the classic terminology regarding height is Frasier. Since it is a suburb of Detroit and most people who reside in Sterling Heights seem to look down upon the city that they owe Sterling Heights very existence to, it is worthy to note that they do in fact have a 14ft advantage in elevation to the city of Detroit.

It seems that the "Heights" part of the former Sterling Township may be taken from an alternate definition, "high rank in social status.". So the very name of "Sterling Heights" translated from the dictionary definitions would be "thoroughly excellent, high rank in social status." This alone should be reason to live there, especially if you wish to avoid living anywhere near black people.

[[As for me, I'll stay far away from "Sterling Whites.")

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast