Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default High-end leather store coming to Midtown

Eugene, Oregon-based Will Leather Goods is coming to Detroit’s Midtown neighborhood.
    The purveyor of high-end, hand-crafted leather bags and accessories is headed for a 9,000-square-foot store location at 4120 2nd Avenue, the former site of Tomboy Markets.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oreUserAgent=1

Their wallets don't seem too unreasonable at around $100. I paid $50 for RL wallet some years back that was total garbage. I didn't look at any other merchandise outside wallets.
    https://www.willleathergoods.com/sho.../men-s-wallets

Their other stores are located in Venice[[California), 3 in Portland, and the only other in NYC. ...I might have to make due with my current wallet until they open...

Well, kudos, good luck to them.

I used to live in a townhouse next to the Tomboy back in the '80s. Great to hear about a high-end store coming my old neighborhood. But a nice grocery store or other practical business would make more sense. These types of specialty stores, e.g., baby clothes or candle shops, in transitional neighborhoods never seem to last.

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    I used to live in a townhouse next to the Tomboy back in the '80s. Great to hear about a high-end store coming my old neighborhood. But a nice grocery store or other practical business would make more sense. These types of specialty stores, e.g., baby clothes or candle shops, in transitional neighborhoods never seem to last.
    As DetroitNerd noted, we really need a high end cufflink shop.

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    I have seen a few other people post very similar comments about this today.

While I am certainly not arguing against more grocery stores or other practical businesses, there are actually quite a number of them that already exist near this location.

For example, Avalon and Goodwells are literally right around the corner, Marcus Market is two blocks up 2nd, Rite Aid is two blocks over on Woodward, Whole Foods is two blocks over and three blocks down Woodward, University Foods is about a half-mile away on W. Warren, and Food Pride is about a half-mile away on E. Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I have seen a few other people post very similar comments about this today.

While I am certainly not arguing against more grocery stores or other practical businesses, there are actually quite a number of them that already exist near this location.

For example, Avalon and Goodwells are literally right around the corner, Marcus Market is two blocks up 2nd, Rite Aid is two blocks over on Woodward, Whole Foods is two blocks over and three blocks down Woodward, University Foods is about a half-mile away on W. Warren, and Food Pride is about a half-mile away on E. Warren.
    My lil finger tells me the time is RIPE fort this leather shop then. Lol.

Actually, from your description, erikd, it sounds like there are enough grocery stores around that area. If I count the number of large supermarkets in my dense part of town, there are not so many to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Their wallets don't seem too unreasonable at around $100
    Only $100 for a wallet? I'm getting 2, one for each back pocket. They'll go great with my $250 "made in Detroit" jeans. I'll look like a real Detroiter. Now if I only owned a t-shirt that took cufflinks.........
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-24-15 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Only $100 for a wallet? I'm getting 2, one for each back pocket. They'll go great with my $250 "made in Detroit" jeans. I'll look like a real Detroiter. Now if I only owned a t-shirt that took cufflinks.........

The cufflinks you can stick in your pierced earlobes and grow them into 11/2" dia. roller bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The cufflinks you can stick in your pierced earlobes and grow them into 11/2" dia. roller bearings.
    I read the first 7 words and thought "oh-oh".....

For what it's worth my $100 wallet and $250 jeans have lasted for years and still look new.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    For what it's worth my $100 wallet and $250 jeans have lasted for years and still look new.
    So have my $6 Cordura wallet and $20 Wrangler jeans.

So have my $6 Cordura wallet and $20 Wrangler jeans.
    I think you've been hitting the cotton gin a little too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I think you've been hitting the cotton gin a little too hard.
    Hey, That's funny. It beats drinking the purple Kool-Aid, though, cheaper too.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-24-15 at 04:14 PM.