Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Development of the landscape WITH PICTURES!

Name:  east1.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  east2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  east3.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  east4.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  45.7 KB

I enjoy using the DTE aerials to witness the rapid changes in the area after WWII. The subdivisions at 10 and Kelly in Eastpointe [[or East Detroit if you prefer....or even Halfway).

The remnants of the Fairway golf course can be seen. It is remarkable to see so much open space this far south.

Almost the entire area is built or being built.

You can see the houses on Winton just a few years old are now gone to make room for I94

As we know the area.

This kind of stuff is interesting, looking at all those contrasts. I'll do one for the entire city of Southgate [[or Ecorse Township, if you prefer using that).

1949: The only major development that we see is on much of the east end.

1956: The northwest and north-central corners are the only significant areas of agricultural land left.

1961: Not much has changed, except for the Southgate Shopping Center appearing at Eureka and Trenton.

2014: We're all familiar with this.