Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Detroit News and the Detroit Police Dep't.

Before computer databases, there were 3x5 index cards. For a century, the Detroit News maintained a card file with all its stories about the DPD broken down in different categories. Those card files have been digitized, and there are 935 pages [[individual cards) now on the internet. Took me the better part of three days to go through them, and quite a trip it was. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Oh, God, are there the ugly...........
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/detroitnews...c_location=ufi

I have a friend that is 101, his view is there is no such thing as the good old days.

Greektown seems to have gambling roots from the start.

The list of killed and wounded shows all it takes is a split second in the line of duty.

So is Karmos of Greektown hanging out with Hoffa?

Very interesting read.

Tommy Karamanos' disappearance was the story of the decade at the time. He does, indeed, sleep with the fishes, or, as you suggest, with Jimmy.

Ray, are there any cards that you were involved with?

Yeah, a couple. I was at the scene on Bagley when PO Jim Meeks was shot and killed by a holdup man, just about a minute after the event [[1960). And I was part of an inquiry board when two officers were shot and killed on the east side. Worked at #10 DB during the Rudy Davis matter; I still believe Rudy to be clean, if guilty only of poor judgement. Between 1959 and 1984, I guess I was aware of many of the items mentioned, although they faded from my memory until I ran through those pages.

I suppose it's a healthy thing that the ugly things faded from memory, but the funny things that happened are in my mind like they happened yesterday. Example? Phil Arreola was a police officer at Motor Traffic. His car was parked at a call box while he was getting a warrant check on a man in the back seat of his car. I parked behind him and looked into his car. Then I approached Phil as he closed the door to the call box. "That your prisoner?" I asked. "Yeah....why?" he responded. "Well, I hate to tell you this, Phil, but he just puked all over the back of your car."

Phil attained Commander rank by the time he retired. He then became the Chief of Police in Milwuakee. Bad timing; four months after his appointment the Jeffrey Dahmer case broke, and Phil caught so much hell for it that he left within a few more months. I have no idea where he is now.

Well, you asked.

Well... we like your stories so keep on posting. There is a lot of ugly but such beauty too. There is real heart and soul left in Detroit
    Last edited by sumas; April-21-15 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Well, you asked.
    I sure did! Thanks for sharing these stories Ray, I love 'em!