Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Could Google be moving out of downtown Ann Arbor?

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ffice/26065977

This was rumored a while back, but if indeed they are looking for space outside AA, could the City of Detroit make a play? The challenge is finding 100K square feet, which they would need to consolidate the offices. However, I think there is a great pitch to be made for some area along Woodward.

Possibly wishful thinking though.

There's an active thread already for this...

Must be a secret meeting between the google mgt. and Dan Gilbert to have Google move to Gilberttown Detroit.

I have no knowledge of this, but it seems unlikely that they would move to Detroit, if only because it is kind of far. You can move from Southfield or Troy to downtown and retain most of your employees, but the commute from Ann Arbor is a good bit longer, and I'm sure they would lose a bunch. Also Google likes its employees to hang out at the office, which they can do less of if they have longer commutes.

I think it would be great if they did, but I doubt it is in the cards.

I would be utterly shocked if Google uprooted from Ann Arbor for the city of Detroit.

Well, that's the end of that!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well, that's the end of that!
    What am I missing? The MLive article doesn't say anything that wasn't already in the previous Freep article linked in tkellly's OP. Google is leasing 35,000 sq ft near Briarwood that they needed for "overflow space to accommodate job growth." Google still hasn't said they will leave or renew lease on their current 85,000 sq ft space in downtown Ann Arbor.
    Last edited by SaintMe; April-21-15 at 08:43 PM.

It still wouldn't make any sense for them to move to Detroit. Google is in Ann Arbor because of UofM. An office in Detroit would be completely independent of operations in Ann Arbor.

For the record, I do not see them leaving Ann Arbor. I was just confused why the MLive article was linked when it didn't appear to me to reveal any new information.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...mpus/26709109/

TL;DR Google is moving to North Campus.

Google's moving to the suburbs [[of Ann Arbor).

Interesting, it is just down the street from UM's new Mcity [[autonomous vehicle) test facility.

Larry Page, cofounder of Google is a meshuggener from East Lansing by birth and studied at UM. He is in the top ten richest Americans list.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Larry Page, cofounder of Google is a meshuggener from East Lansing by birth and studied at UM. He is in the top ten richest Americans list.
    It would be nice if dan gilbert got his ear for something in downtown detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    It would be nice if dan gilbert got his ear for something in downtown detroit.
    Yup. You could say he is in the one percent of the one percent, couldn't you? That kind of money can make a dent.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yup. You could say he is in the one percent of the one percent, couldn't you? That kind of money can make a dent.

Or at least to move the Birmingham location to downtown. That would certainly be a start...and 150+ employees.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...mpus/26709109/

TL;DR Google is moving to North Campus.
    Within walking distance of U-M's computer engineering and computer science departments.