Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hayward Brown

Default Hayward Brown

Hi Everyone,
    I'am looking for information about Hayward Brown. If you know how I could learn more about his case please post where I could find that information.
    Thanks, Norm

Check the archives of the Det News and Free Press. They covered it from the day he bailed out of a car with his thug buddies Mark Clyde Bethune and John Percy Boyd and opened fire on four officers.

Not sure if this is of interest to you, but my husband was the only prosecutor that convicted Mr. Brown of anything. He was convicted [[ by an all African-American jury) of possession of heroin and sentenced to 2-4 years in Jackson Prison. He had been acquited/[[misstrials/hung juries) 12 times. He was viewed by some as a cult hero. After he was paroled he started to rob drug houses and he was shot and killed in one such incident. I met him during the last days of the trial [[I saw the closing arguments) and he was a very personable man.

I vaguely remember the name [[my family always listened to the news on TV or Radio 24/7 when I was growing up and no matter how little interest I happened to have in it I couldn't help but be innundated).

I did do a Google search on Hayward Brown + Detroit which resulted in the following -

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...t&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

It was twisted how some made him out to be some sort of a folk hero.
    I was working on the South End when he had that one shoot out near the Wayne State campus.
    Perhaps it was because the cops had such a bad image then. Hayward Brown was no altar boy.

No altar boy is an understatement. Knew the officers involved. The three [[Boyd, Bethune and Brown) terrorized our neighborhood. Names permanently etched in my memory!

I never knew his name, but I used to talk to one of the officers that got shot by Brown and his cohorts at Red Wings games at the Olympia. He would roll his wheel chair up the aisle right to the glass and would heckle the opposing players mercilessly.
    Last edited by Downriviera; August-15-09 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo

A thug is a thug now.
    A thug was a thug then.
    The Robin Hood anti-drug handle made for a good read. It was also a fairy tale.

Neither Brown nor the cops were altar boys, but given the choice between 4000 Hayward Browns or 4000 cops [[yes, if memory is accurate, there were about that many then!), I would certainly rather have had the police patrolling the streets.

Wasn't the whole Robinhood fantasy cooked up by Ken Cockrel Sr.? If memory serves, that was the trial where Cockrel called the Judge a racist redneck or some such thing, was sent to jail for contempt of court ... Bill Goodman got Ken released.

Remember Bill Goodman?, the guy that represented the City Council against the Mayor and his law department and major lust object of both Eriedearie and Lodgedoger, IIRC.

gnome, gnome, "lust object"?
    Behave yourself. What would mom say?

Hey, I'm just going by their, "Dudes We Dig" Thread. That whole estrogen-amped, Coyote crazed, Bea Arthur approved thread is shocking in it revelations.

As far a Mom goes, she would say, "Oh, my ... his buns do look like steel"

OK.
    I must admit that I have not visited the "Dudes We Dig" thread, and it is not likely that I will, but mom is likely right!

Peace

Bobl, now that I think about it, Bea Arthur probably would not approve.

Anyway, back to Haywood, I'd like to hear what AGirlInTheD, has to say about those coconuts.

Default my uncle

I have read a lot of your post about Hayward Brown first u should no he was my uncle. Second he was found not guilty.. so 4 u to judge him 4 something he didn't do is crazy. I have never meet a saint but since u guys feel like u better then he was y is the system so bad now he stood 4 some thing . He was a strong black man that was not gone 2 bullyed by any 1 even if u had a gun I'm glad that there r ppl like him on this earth

First, your typing and spelling speaks volumes about you.

Second, found 'Not Guilty" or a hung jury does NOT mean he didn't do it.

Wayne State PD should have solved the problem the first time they encountered him.

Default Attack on Indie Filmmaker

December 15, 2009

Lights! Camera! Action!

Action is what took place on November 5, 2009. But, not the type of action in the movies, this action was played by real police officers, doing their job in the city of Detroit. In this saga you have a director, producer, a filming crew, and most of all the actors. Back in 1972-73 you have this “modern day” robin hood who was labeled as the 70s Nemesis. Somewhere down the line there is some family blood. Trying to bring back the story, and the real contents of what took place has always been a part of me, so 7 years ago, I decided to make that happen.
    But not knowing what would become of this story, I started with my research, networking, and clarification to get the facts and just to identify with a little history from the 70s. On Friday June 15, 1984, 25 years ago, police were looking for the shooter that took the life of Hayward Brown. Now, this is a very basis anecdote, some will say what he did was devastating, and I consent to some point, the life of a police officer was taken, 5 other police officers were wounded, he caused such devastation with the police department back then, others deem he helped the neighborhood, trying to relieve it from the drug houses, and drug dealers in the city. Hayward took matters into his own hands, not the accurate way to do things, but, the things the police dept. did back then and now, is not the accurate way either. So who’s right? Who’s wrong? Just for the reason that they have a badge, are they correct? What Hayward done back then was beyond doubt not accurate.
    On November 5, 2009 as the Detroit police department was dispatched to the location of the filming, we were humiliated and, outraged for the events that took place, we accomplished the process of following the “chain of commands” my business was advised to do. At the same time as the permits were brandished for that day to the officers, everything fell on deaf ears. Some of our production films were destroyed, and then posted on the internet, in a way that it was against our approval [[not showing original video).
    Now, who’s right? Who’s wrong? Is the city trying to cover up something? Is that name Hayward Brown still haunting the police department? The city of Detroit? Let’s make something positive come from this circumstance. The city has a massive of other issues to tangle with, let’s not make this one a main concern on their list of things to do. Indie filmmakers are what we need, let’s not let laws hurt that, Independence is what some seem to be scared of.

Sean Brown
    BUP Films / The Creekside Players Group
    bupfilms@yahoo.com
    youtube.com/thehaywardbrownstory

Can you please explain the events a little more? It was my understanding you had a small crew. Did you get permits from the city & let the police department know you would be filming that day, with weapons? Whenever we have weapons on set the police are notified beforehand, even if they are props.

I hope you aren't also the screenwriter.

I hope your films make more sense than this post does.

What, exactly, happened on November 5? You never state it.
    And the back story on Hayward Brown may be interesting, but only after the actual facts of the events are detailed.

Get the writer on the set, we need to make some edits...

Is this regarding the recent Movie cops tripped up by real officers in Detroit story?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Is this regarding the recent Movie cops tripped up by real officers in Detroit story?
    Hardly sounds like an "attack."

It was your own fault . You should have waited for the proper permits and made sure that the police and neighbors were notified.

You are lucky no one was hurt.

Just chalk it up as a valuable lesson learned and do not make the same mistake again.

Good luck with your venture and make sure when you go to court you are extremely apologetic.

I am sure the jugde will be extremely easy on a young person trying to better their life in a positive direction such as yourself.

That's very good advice. Be apologetic and chalk it up to a misunderstanding. It won't help you at all to set it up as if the police were trying to obstruct the filming because of their alleged adverse perception of the subject matter.

andybsg Guest

we were humiliated and, outraged for the events that took place
    Judging by that post, trouble with the po-po is the least of your worries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast