Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hayward Brown

Oh stewardess, I Speak Film; You were stealing shots & got caught. Happens to the best of 'em...or to quote film legend Ed Wood; "we don't have a permit-RUN!"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dirty-...C/122906642635

andybsg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MzAllen 313 View Post
    I have read a lot of your post about Hayward Brown first u should no he was my uncle. Second he was found not guilty.. so 4 u to judge him 4 something he didn't do is crazy. I have never meet a saint but since u guys feel like u better then he was y is the system so bad now he stood 4 some thing . He was a strong black man that was not gone 2 bullyed by any 1 even if u had a gun I'm glad that there r ppl like him on this earth
    i m sur he wld b vry vry proud of u. u r a shining star in D.

He sounds like a whiner.

I really can't make any sense at all of the original post here. It sounds like someone who missed most of their English classes after the third grade or so. Can anyone explain what actually happened here without the extended non-sequitur digression into Detroit history of 25 years ago?

E-Al - This is what happened: ... but first...

Mr. Brown aka BUP films is making a low-budget movie about his uncle/cousin/friend/baby daddy. The film is about a local gangster named Haywood Brown. Haywood Brown was a drug dealer/Black Panther who killed a Detroit cop and wounded another half dozen.

In the trial his lawyers of Ken Cockrel Sr. and Bill Goodman portrayed Haywood Brown as a "Robin Hood" who was only trying to protect innocent citizens when he was attacked by the police.

Mr. Haywood Brown figured out "Robin Hood" was a good cover and after a short prison term, tried to regain his position within the ghetto. He met with resistance and thus began a murderous crime spree until he was finally put down.

The film being made by BUP Films promises to re-tell the story. Of course, film distribution will be limited to automotive trunks throughout the City with a few high-quality car washes and party stores tossed in.

On November 5 or 2009, BUP films was shooting a scene outside of a home allegedly once owned, or rented, by Brown the Younger. They had film permits but failed to notify neighbors or the local police station that they would be shooting a scene involving prop firearms.

Neighbors witnessed what they thought was a crime involving guns and thereby called 911. The Police Dispatch issued a crime in progress and a couple of cops rolled up and pulled their REAL guns on the fake gangsters. The real cops disarmed and handcuffed the filmmakers, got an explanation, reviewed their film permits and let them go. The cops also used adult-oriented words in directing the filmmakers to the turf.

Mr. Brown the Younger is upset that the cops used rough language and made him explain hisselves. Moreover, he feels that owning a DV-HandiCam classifies him as being a filmmaker and thereby granting him immunity from following the laws of logic or good judgement.

Mr. Brown the Younger has a YouTube channel, which will inform you as to the quality and taste level.

He also owns a mangina which seems to be a new word worthy of banishment.

Oh, I remember Haywood Brown very well. [[Or was it Hayward Brown? Hayward seems to show up in official records and is what I remember, but Haywood seems to be used almost as often) I was just trying to get a handle on exactly what the incident was that the original post seemed to be addressing. I didn't realize that the film itself was about Haywood [[Hayward) Brown, which explains at least some of the confusion arising from that post. Thanks for the explanation though.

Attack on Indie Filmmaker

Inquiring minds want to know, was this a terrorist attack?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    E-Al - This is what happened: ... but first...

Mr. Brown aka BUP films is making a low-budget movie about his uncle/cousin/friend/baby daddy. The film is about a local gangster named Haywood Brown. Haywood Brown was a drug dealer/Black Panther who killed a Detroit cop and wounded another half dozen.

In the trial his lawyers of Ken Cockrel Sr. and Bill Goodman portrayed Haywood Brown as a "Robin Hood" who was only trying to protect innocent citizens when he was attacked by the police.

Mr. Haywood Brown figured out "Robin Hood" was a good cover and after a short prison term, tried to regain his position within the ghetto. He met with resistance and thus began a murderous crime spree until he was finally put down.

The film being made by BUP Films promises to re-tell the story. Of course, film distribution will be limited to automotive trunks throughout the City with a few high-quality car washes and party stores tossed in.

On November 5 or 2009, BUP films was shooting a scene outside of a home allegedly once owned, or rented, by Brown the Younger. They had film permits but failed to notify neighbors or the local police station that they would be shooting a scene involving prop firearms.

Neighbors witnessed what they thought was a crime involving guns and thereby called 911. The Police Dispatch issued a crime in progress and a couple of cops rolled up and pulled their REAL guns on the fake gangsters. The real cops disarmed and handcuffed the filmmakers, got an explanation, reviewed their film permits and let them go. The cops also used adult-oriented words in directing the filmmakers to the turf.

Mr. Brown the Younger is upset that the cops used rough language and made him explain hisselves. Moreover, he feels that owning a DV-HandiCam classifies him as being a filmmaker and thereby granting him immunity from following the laws of logic or good judgement.

Mr. Brown the Younger has a YouTube channel, which will inform you as to the quality and taste level.

He also owns a mangina which seems to be a new word worthy of banishment.

I was a bit perturbed when the newspaper made it sound like a big mix-up between the new Hollywood filmmakers coming to town & the city. Kind of like this summer how they said a "film crew" got robbed in Woodbridge when it was only 5-6 people on a scout. If there are 4 or 5 guys on set total then we're dealing with something a lot smaller than what the papers have been describing as the "film industry". Our sets are 40-100 people, there's trailers everywhere, people around -- in other words, you're DEFINITELY on a film set and would know it. Regardless of whether they put their permit in--this is so easy for anyone to do it's not even funny--you need to notify local law enforcement if prop weapons or explosives are being used. Anything that might look suspicious -- say, a group of guys barging into a house with guns drawn -- needs to be explained beforehand so the city & its departments are prepared for your theatrics on the street. The news should have disregarded this totally. Instead they spin it and make it sound like part of the 'filming in detroit' phenom currently underway. Well this kind of behavior would have ended with the same result if it were in LA, New York, Cleveland, Ludington, Miami -- hell, try any city in any of the 50 states.

They should have built a gallows in Cadillac Square and strung Brown up like the scum he was and let the pigeons pick away at his remains for a month or two.

Default Police Threaten to Kill Film Crew

Police threaten to kill Detroit crew filming the story of Hayward Brown
    Four faces charges despite permits
    By Diane Bukowski of Michigan Citizen Newspaper[[Front Page Dec.26th issue)

DETROIT – In a case of history repeating itself, Detroit police drew guns and threatened to kill members of a local film crew as they shot “Vigilante: The Life of Hayward Brown†outside the home of one actor Nov. 5. The head of the crew, Sean Brown, is the cousin of Hayward Brown, an anti-drug and anti-police brutality activist during the 1970’s.
    He heads B.U.P Films, a Detroit-based production company. The police attack on his crew is shown on film because their movie cameras kept rolling throughout the incident.
    “I was scared as hell,†said J. [[Jermaine) Allen, who rents the property on Plainview. “I was looking down the barrels of six fully-loaded 9 mm. guns. For a minute there I thought that this was it. I just closed my eyes and braced myself. I was glad my girl-friend and two-year-old son had just left.â€

Allen is shown being thrown to the ground by a beefy white officer, earlier seen aiming his gun directly at the crew.
    “Shut your mouth, don’t f---ing move, you guys know how this looks,†the officer says as he stands over Allen, who asks not to be handcuffed because he had earlier broken his elbow and says they were shooting a film with the proper permits.
    In addition to Brown and Allen, crew members Desmond Williams and De’Andre King were nonetheless arrested, handcuffed and ticketed for “possession and brandishing facsimile weapons,†a misdemeanor. They face individual court hearings at 36th District Court Feb 18 and 19 next year, although they should be co-defendants.
    King was the cameraman and only possessed a movie camera, which police claimed they thought was a weapon.
    The charges are being pursued despite the crew’s claims that they were working through the offices of Mayor Dave Bing and the City Council. One of the officers is heard on the film declaring, “Forget the Mayor, the hell with Cockrel,†and others are heard telling the crew that they should have contacted the Northwest Precinct directly.

One officer also tells the crew that they were lucky he wasn’t first one the scene, because “I would have shot your asses, and film crews from “2, 4 and 7†would have been there instead.â€
    Edward Cardenas, communications chief for Mayor Bing, said, “They did not have the proper permit to film on the day they were filming.†Council President Kenneth Cockrel, Jr. who the crew said was extremely supported of the film, particularly because it portrays his father, was contacted for comment, but had not responded before press time.
    Brown said he had received e-mail threats about the film which demanded that it portray Detroit police in a good light. Allen said that earlier a crew of Black police officers had driven by and waved, indicating they knew a film was being shot. He said that neighbors were very supportive, coming out to watch the making of the movie, and only “ducking and dodging†when the Detroit police showed up.
    Allen said that particular crew of police has been stopping Blacks in the neighborhood for no evident reason for some time.
    “We’re more scared of them than the actual elements around here,†he said. “People call them a ‘military execution squad.’â€
    The movie tells the story of Hayward Brown, Mark Clyde Bethune, and John Percy Boyd, college students in the 1970’s in Detroit.
    film “Vigilante: The Story of Hayward Brown.â€

“The three young men had been waging a private war against big-time heroin dealers in their neighborhoods,†says historian Dan Georgakas in his book, Detroit, I Do Mind Dying.
    “STRESS [a notorious plainclothes unit that had killed dozens of Black men] had staked out one of the dope houses that the three vigilantes attacked. Instead of pursuing the drug dealers, STRESS chased Bethune, Boyd and Brown. A shoot-out followed which resulted in the four STRESS officers being wounded, while their prey escaped. Three weeks later, in a second shoot-out with the vigilantes, STRESS officer Robert Bradford was slain and another officer wounded.â€
    Georgakas continues, “In the weeks which followed, STRESS put the Black neighborhoods under martial law in one of the most massive and ruthless police manhunts in Detroit history. Hundreds of Black families had their doors literally broken down and their lives threatened by groups of white men in plainclothes who had no search warrants and often did not bother to identify themselves as police.†One man was killed by the cops.
    Police eventually tracked down and killed Bethune and Boyd in Atlanta. Hundreds came to their funerals. Hayward Brown was captured and tried in Detroit, represented by the late famed attorney Kenneth Cockrel, Sr.. Cockrel, Sr. used the strategy of putting STRESS [[Stop the Robberies, Enjoy Safe Streets) on trial instead. Massive rallies were held in Brown’s support, including Council President Emeritus Erma Henderson, who recently passed. .
    Brown was acquitted of all charges. However, said Sean Brown, his cousin was shot to death in Detroit in 1984 under “mysterious circumstances,†with many believing the police were involved. No charges have ever been brought in the case. Hayward Brown [[Sean) in custody
    Brown said actors and crews from B.U.P. Films, co-founded by his uncle Henry Brown, have been all over the country for years making movies. But he said they have never experienced such treatment, even in Lapeer, Livonia, and other largely white areas, where portions of the film have been shot. He expressed particular gratitude to the police department in Lapeer, where officers actually acted in the film.
    Detroit police officers normally cordon off filming areas and remain to protect movie crews from major companies everywhere in the city, including downtown Detroit and recently on East Jefferson. The procedure for notification is through City Council to the police before a permit is granted.
    “These Hollywood people are coming in and filming all the time, getting tax breaks, but we pay taxes here and this is the way we are treated,†said. He said it is often difficult for local residents to get jobs in their films.
    The crew said that everywhere they go, they hire locals. They also better the neighborhoods where they film, cleaning them up, feeding the homeless, and donating portions of the profits from their movies to non-profit groups like the Salvation Army, Purple Heart, and local churches.
    “We are not advocates of violence, but people from all over this city, state and nation need to stand up to protest what is happening,†said Allen.

Why did the City of Detroit issue this film company a permit in December, approving them for November?
    Also if the days that the company applied for [[Oct.16th - Nov. 19th) why was Bup Films never notified of anything different prior to dates, even after numerous of call's by Bup, to the head of the film depatment? [[permits will be available online this coming week after Lawyers approve the upload of the certified documents. Other, Redford issued permits for the Nov.5th are already online)
    Monday 28th at 3pm, Sean Brown and Bup Films will be on the Ginnah Muhammad radio show on [[blogtalkradio.com) out of New York, airing nationally to millions.
    If the city fells to properly staff the film office then this will be a repeated problem with other filmmakers.
    Plus would you people please pull up your filming laws, before talking out the side of your necks, and open those cloud views, it's 2010..
    Let's face it disorganization is the biggest issue here...
    Bup Films has just reached out to Human Rights Activist Attorney Chowke Lummuba, Attorney Leslie Kohn, and the ACLU.
    This problem will get solved right here and justice will be served!!

Sounds good to me.

They could have ended this decades ago if they'd have whacked HB when they had the chance.

Does anyone else see how a simple confrontation can be escalated into something sinister?

I'm not saying I think everyone behaved properly, and if the quotes from that one officer are correct [[and everything within me screams that this reporting and the post from the film-maker earlier are accurately done, now at least we can sense why he felt so compelled to speak out) that officer should be chained to a desk in the jail or something...not in public in order to further divide this community.

But, damn. This article is inflammatory. They really want another riot.

Maybe we're due. Who knows?! The undercurrents of racism in all its ugliness obviously still rage on at least in the hearts and minds of those who wish to perpetuate it...for whatever their personal reasons...but to have police officers hammering citizens immediately, and threatening them...is just outrageous.

I heard about a raid on the BoHouse a few weeks back...where the police came IN FORCE and treated everyone worse than dirt...echoes of the reports we heard from the CAID raid that got so much attention.

The Bo was in perfect compliance with all laws, and all minor charges once again had to be dropped.

Even my seventy-year old friend with a broken foot was forced to stand during the whole ordeal...and THAT is abuse. Pure and simple.

There is no reason for our citizens to be treated harshly by police officers. The training of escalating force is designed for one thing...and BAD officers fueled by their outrageous egos lord their power over others and are protected still by that damn blue wall of silence. Good officers too often keep their mouths shut.

This is coming to a head, towards an eventuality I'd rather head off at the pass.

We are an outlaw town, and the law has to more wisely pick and choose what they try to contain and where they bring their hammers down. The waste of money on crashing late-night parties is only one example of how this town is mismanaged...but I'm sure they thought they'd get enough return on fines and penalties and automobile confiscation to warrant the worthless warrant.

Cheers into the New Year, may we all learn and grow some.

Gannon, get a grip. The moive makers obviously have an agenda to get publicity for their movie and they're not going to let facts get in the way of that.

Calling Hayward Brown an anti-drug and anti-police brutality crusader is an insult to people who really are. Although, I guess robbing dope houses could be considered an "anti drug" act. The fact that Brown was always acquitted says more about the infamous Recorder's Court than anything else. Remember Judge Del Rio?

You weren't there and neither was I, but it is my understanding the the job was for "men with guns"; what would you do when you arrived and saw what you had every reason to belive was a group of armed men? Ask for their autograph?

Either they had the proper permits or they didn't, and it sounds like they didn't, so they should face the consequences [[misdemeanors).

The statement that "black officers drove by and waved" if true [[which I doubt), might say more about DPD than the situation. Back in my day [[early Seventies), DPD let people on the job who had criminal records [[and I'm not talking about traffic tickets), perhaps they still do........

Also, you "heard about a raid"? Stop right there! It's stuff like that that escalates tensions.....If you were there, fine, tell your story, but if you weren't don't relate what you were told happened. That's what inflames situations.

Deja Vu. He posted the same thread here two weeks ago. http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3813

ct_alum,

I'll give you inflammation.

Kiss my ass, you don't have any place to tell anyone to shut up.

My seventy-year old friend doesn't get on the internet much, so I will tell his story. Heard from two others that were there how the cops treated everyone.

They were geared up for war.

Adrenal glands pumping, egos blaring.

Ready for a fight.

Wouldn't let an injured man sit down.

For over an hour.

Wouldn't let anyone back into the building to get their coats or car keys.

In the dead of winter.

AFTER they'd established that their whole night was based upon false information and the place was well within their rights and duties as a dance hall.

Fuck them for their continued idiocy in the face of their shear incompetence and desire to profit off of those who were merely celebrating.

Now you've got your escalation, when I was CALLING for peace.

I am specifically asking the police to tone down their aggression tactics, because they WILL lead to another 1967.

Difference this time? That generation taught this one to never be out-gunned by 'the man'. Ever again.

Do I agree with that stance? Of course not. It is confrontational and will also lead to a really fucked up situation.

I am asking both to stand down some.

So, kiss my ass on your 'stop right there' bullshit. Don't ever tell me to stop reporting something that I know directly. One step removed is reliable enough when it comes to catching trends...I don't have to have a jackboot on my throat to know that escalating violence towards civilians is the wrong way to police.

Next lame ass arguement??!!

No, you should respect anyone's relating a story, no matter how it rubs you.

He told me to shut up. I told him to kiss my ass.

Now I'll say it to you.

Has nothing to do with where I hear it or when I'll say it, you just happen to get it now. Congrats.

John, the BoHo thing and the film permit thing are entirely different situations. Other than the fact that police were involved, nothing is the same. Do you really want to expand the thread to include all acts of police authority, I guess that is your right, but the subject of this thread was Haywood Brown and the re-telling of his story on film.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuzzedUp.../0/L314NZH2cs8

here is an example of their outstanding filmmaking skills.

My assessment is the same as the other thread. It looks like they think they will get more mileage out of trying to make this look like a deliberate police move against their take on Haywood Brown than taking the sensible tack and apologizing for their errors of inexperience and getting on with their film. Too bad.

Default Bup Films tells it like it really is

Bup Films will be speaking from their side of the coin!

Tune into Blogtalkradio.com/ginnnahmuhammad
    Facebook.com/ Ginnnah Muhammad

Today at 3pm December 28th to call in to station 646 478 0437 voice yourself about this..

This is the truth not all the cover up's

also log onto Michigancitizennewspaper.com [[frontpage)

Two of the links in your confusing post don't even work. Why am I not surprised you guys didn't have the paperwork right for the day of the filming either?

Simple fact: no permit + brandishing realistic looking weapons = the cops being called by nervous neighbors.

Did the police shoot you? Beat you? You got a couple tickets. Big deal.

Hardly seems much to get worked up about, or for the Michigan Citizen to beat their endless "The Police are Evil" drum. Seems, in fact, like a measured response by the cops.

Please do NOT start new threads regarding BUP films / Hayward Brown topic. Post new replies here only. Only one thread per topic permitted. New threads on this topic will either be removed or merged into this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MzAllen 313 View Post
    I have read a lot of your post about Hayward Brown first u should no he was my uncle. Second he was found not guilty.. so 4 u to judge him 4 something he didn't do is crazy. I have never meet a saint but since u guys feel like u better then he was y is the system so bad now he stood 4 some thing . He was a strong black man that was not gone 2 bullyed by any 1 even if u had a gun I'm glad that there r ppl like him on this earth

MzAllen, it's very sad to hear what you have to say. He was a thief and a murderer plain and simple. He was far from a strong black man. He was a weak black man. Forget about the cops he killed, what about all the inoccent people he robbed. I"m not talking about the dope dealers. I'm talking about the homes he broke into and robbed. You must be a lot younger than your Uncle. Do some research and you will see what a scum bag he really was. When I say research, not talking to family memebers but the newspaper articles and police records. He deserved to die.

Wow, sounds like a trip back to the 70's. I don't see what rehashing Brown's sordid life will do to enlighten people.
    I wonder if someone was just asking to get harassed with this project by not using their heads when setting up this movie production.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2