Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I just wanted to say that last night’s memorial/celebration event for Matthew was well attended, particularly by the DYes crowd. Close to a dozen people that I knew and a couple I hadn't met before. Matt would have been honored to know that so many people thought so much of him.

The fact that the place was packed spoke volumes about the many lives he touched. His sister was an absolute doll who spoke the truth about her relationship with him. When she was through, there wasn’t a dry eye in the place.

I sincerely hope that Matt is now at peace, has found the nirvana that he was always searching for and that he has walked-on to a better place. Like all of us, he had his demons, but his heart was as big as the moon.
    I, for one, will miss him terribly.
    PlymouthRes

I hope this thread gets preserved well. I don't have the heart to open the attachments yet.

I still think his family was in shock and awe that he was so well loved.

He was a part of our life.

I am still in denial he is gone. Sumas

Not everyone is a believer, but to those who are...

Take comfort in knowing that brother Django is currently in the kindest and gentlest of hands.

He's shed his battered earthly body and is moving around with 20/20 eyesight and all fresh and new parts.

This earthly life has a purpose that mortal men struggle to understand. I know I do. I am certain though, that there is something immortal and wonderful which comes afterwards.
    Last edited by TheUsualSuspect; April-23-15 at 08:58 AM.

That was one of the coolest memorials I've ever been to. A fitting tribute to someone as unique as him. I'll miss our chats at the Dally and his posts.

I can only add praise to what has been said above about this love-filled and heart-warming memorial/wake. It was great to meet up again with so many of DetroitYES family who were there and be in the room with others, like Downriviera who unfortunately I didn't know to meet as we have never met in person, and wonder how many others who were unknown to me there.

I think Django would have be very touched by the outpouring of love and his spirit was very present there.

The tributes by family and friends were so wonderful and his sister Laura's was the epitome. I am not the easily choked-up type but tears were streaming down my cheeks by the time she finished. I am hoping to get a copy of her and others tributes to share here. Here she is making us laugh, making us cry.

Here is his son, whose good looks and curly hair so matched the images of his father at his age, playing a solo piece.

I brought my signed copy of Django's Junky Chronicles and asked family and friends to sign tributes to him. Thanks to all who contributed in the front and other pages. [click the picture to enlarge]

Finally kudos to Aaron Timlin who emceed the event.

Michael Jackman just posted this in the MetroTimes. Cannot add a breath more to it...

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...-the-old-miami

Default Thank you

I'm Django's little sister. I'm flying home over Montana right now reading all your posts with tears in my eyes. Matt always talked about DetroitYES and was so proud of your community. Matt's sitting right here in my heart enjoying the view of snow capped mountains - he always has loved to travel.

Wow. This makes me very sad. Someone should have put a *sob alert * at the top of this thread, cause I am sitting here at work, crying over this post.

Django was a great guy and I enjoyed listening to his stories. Loved his cool rock sculptures and took people to see them when we were on Belle Isle. RIP Django.

Django will be greatly missed. Rest In Peace, buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Michael Jackman just posted this in the MetroTimes. Cannot add a breath more to it...

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...-the-old-miami
    Great post by Jackman relating a most deserving and wonderful tribute to our late friend and forumer Django. I was happy to see the MT posted this picture of him on his famous Dally in the Alley martini sofa.

While searching for an unrelated video, I encountered this comment by Django:
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Jimaz, That dog vid brought me to tears.
    He was referring to Dog rescue: How an iPhone saved the lives of five dogs [[please share).

Sumas might want to avoid this tear jerker for the moment [[happy ending though) but animal rescuers should really learn the technique demonstrated in the video.

I'm sure Django wouldn't object to a few donations to Hope for Paws either.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-23-15 at 09:01 PM.

Another:
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    That video killed me Jimaz. My Lil' Bro was born with a cleft lip and Pallet. Lucky as he was to have been born here we fixed him up right away. He now dates the hottest girls and has a great job for the DOD flying troops around Afghanastan.

On another note I was in Peru at an outdoor cafe having a great time when a little girl came up behind me asking me for coin. I tried to brush her off until my friend pointed at her for me to look. She was about 12 and holding her 4 year old Lil' Sis who also had a cleft. I shed a tear or two as well as a few bucks knowing full well that cleft was probably the main family income.
    Here he was referring to Changing faces with a smile - Operation Smile [[Original ) #talita, yet another happy ending.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-23-15 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I purchased a scooter in Detroit and gave it to Django when I left. I wanted Django to have the scooter so he could get around Detroit and pursue his photography of the city.

I paid cash for the scooter at the dealership, so there is no finance owing on it. I will get the registration papers to Django's sister Laura and she can do what she wants with the bike or give it to one of Django's friends.

Does anyone know someone who can make use of the bike? It's no Harley, but here is the bike in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0b5S8P1uUE
    Night-timer this is Laura. I didn't know it was you that got Matt the scooter. It was in his backyard as of Wednesday though slightly taken apart and it looked liked he had been fixing it a bit. He was a fixer. We would love for someone in Detroit that needs it to have it. If the community has any suggestions as to who would need it that would be great. I'll reach out to some of Matts other friends too. You are the best for getting that for him.

Thank you Laura for responding to a request to share the wonderful tribute you have for your brother and our friend Matt.
    My name is Laura and I am Matty’s little sister.

I am three years younger than him. Our childhood was typical of the early 1970s.

Some of our favorite games included basement racing where I would ride our big wheel in circles around our basement - often trailing stripes of our dog Co-Pilot’s dog shit in circles around the concrete floor. Matt would be posted at one of the turns with an oversized whiffle ball bat and try to knock me off at every lap. It was good fun.

He also enjoyed cramming me in the bottom of a sleeping bag and intricately sealing the top. He would proceed to drag me around the house to disorient me only to deposit me in a dark closet, the garage, and one time in our drunk neighbor’s yard at midnight. She was less than pleased.

Matt was my first and best friend. The summer after I finished eighth grade he opened my bedroom door, told me to get my ass dressed because we were going to a party. He introduced me to everyone there, many of whom I proceeded to date over the next four years. He thus became not just my friend but also my lifelong protector.

He left for college in ‘87. One weekend my parents and baby brother were out of town so I had a party. I tried to drive his car and put it in the ditch and some folks drank all my dad's beer. I called him in Traverse City four hours away and he immediately drove home, fixed the car, replaced all the booze and helped me put the house together again. Sorry ‘bout that dad.

I have many Matty stories, some less savory than others. He had recently taken to texting and calling my children and having long conversations with them. I loved that he could communicate on their level and I loved how much he loved them.

Matt seemed to have an unending well of love from which he drew generously. I always tried to take care of him, even after I abandoned the idea of saving him. But I could have done better.

Matt’s life was so difficult and he survived things that no one else could have. He wanted peace but he was bound to this earth, perhaps even longer than he wanted to be. I always thought he couldn't transition until he learned some lesson, but now I think he couldn't leave until we learned certain lessons from him.

For me that lesson was that I have more compassion and support to give. I'm sure if you think about it you can each easily summon the lesson he taught you. If you can't, then think harder.

My sister in law Mariam told me yesterday that in her Muslim belief, those who die on Friday are the closest to god and die without sin. I liked that.

Rest now Matt and forgive me for not hiring strippers today. I'll love you forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraled View Post
    Night-timer this is Laura. I didn't know it was you that got Matt the scooter. It was in his backyard as of Wednesday though slightly taken apart and it looked liked he had been fixing it a bit. He was a fixer. We would love for someone in Detroit that needs it to have it. If the community has any suggestions as to who would need it that would be great. I'll reach out to some of Matts other friends too. You are the best for getting that for him.
    Hi again, Laura. Night-timer = Robert Wallace in Australia, if you didn't know. If you could find a new owner for the scooter, that would be great. It's free to any takers. I'll post the registration papers to the new owner. I want the scooter transferred from my name into the new owner's name. Can Lowell or Aaron Timlin or Beth Breidenstein help me locate someone to inherit the bike? A full tank of gas is only $4.

I wish I could've been at the Old Miami for the memorial.

I was stuck at work and couldn't make. I hope you all understand. RIP Matt.

Stromberg2

Never met Django, except through DYes and it seems he always added a unique perspective. Have enjoyed all of your comments and wish that I had met him and shared some experiences together. Still, I feel as though I have lost a friend. Never shed tears like this before for someone that I never met.

I went to Belle Isle for the first time today, I took my family with me. I told my kids the story of the beloved man that stacked rocks. They were interested.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    Never met Django, except through DYes and it seems he always added a unique perspective. Have enjoyed all of your comments and wish that I had met him and shared some experiences together. Still, I feel as though I have lost a friend. Never shed tears like this before for someone that I never met.
    That is such a sweet post.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    I am not as sentimental but I too feel as if I have missed out on someone that was worth knowing.

A weird kind of loss, almost as if I showed up late and missed the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I went to Belle Isle for the first time today, I took my family with me. I told my kids the story of the beloved man that stacked rocks. They were interested.
    Show them Robert Maniscalco's documentary on Django's Belle Isle rock stacks. It's easy to find on Youtube. Maybe you've seen it already. Well worth watching. Funny, Django never mentioned the rocks or the documentary to me, although he mentioned his love of Belle Isle and Hippy Beach on the isle. He got special dispensation from Mayor Kwame to keep the rocks standing?
    Last edited by night-timer; April-26-15 at 01:42 AM.

A beautiful touching tribute to Matthew.Name:  April 22 Django Tribute.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  41.8 KB

Maybe the Chinese learnt this from Django? http://www.vice.com/en_au/read/funer...ural-china-423

While shopping today, I noticed blue cheese stuffed olives on a shelf, and immediately thought of Django, and his Dally Couch. He left an impression on many more folks than he realized. I wish that I had gotten to know him, beyond just a few conversations.

A little stunned at how many sympathy cards we are getting. We mourn but we were not "family". I guess it shows how many lives he touched. Everyone was family to him. The cards are a comfort and an honor to his memory.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast