Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sumas, I am sure there will be no problem taking Sarge to Django's wake. It shouldn't be an issue. Please be there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    When I heard the news about Django, I knew that I had to let Barbara Nadel, the British crime fiction writer who visited Detroit several years back to do research for her upcoming novel that she decided would be set in Detroit, know of his passing as he had shown her our city through his eyes.

She has written this blog tribute to Django:
    Django by Barbara Nadel
    http://www.internationalcrimeauthors.com/?p=6278
    The concluding lines fit him to a T.

A man of honour and integrity, Django loved his friends, his family and his dogs and was one of the most authentic guys I’ve ever met. At one point we met a lady in the street who became quite aggressive. She was high, out of control and nothing was real except my foreign accent. She was gunning for me and I was ready to either block her or run for it. But Django got in there and took a punch for me. I felt bad about that and still do because when I thanked him, he said it was nothing. And he meant it.

Wise, clever, damaged but still in the game, Django was one in a million and the world is a poorer place for his passing.

Oh no. This saddens me. RIP

I don't handle death well, he was family to us. Other then a wake of sorts with no info from family.

They have no clue how much he was loved.

Did get a call from the bar and Sarge can't come. The family is doing some catering so I don't need to cook. I would have done a better job "free"!

I hope lots of people show up, his family mostly dis-owed him many years ago. His step sister was good to him.

Still crying, miss him. The living world lost a very sweet talented person.
    Last edited by sumas; April-21-15 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I don't handle death well, he was family to us. Other then a wake of sorts with no info from family.

They have no clue how much he was loved.

Did get a call from the bar and Sarge can't come. The family is doing some catering so I don't need to cook. I would have done a better job "free"!

I hope lots of people show up, his family mostly dis-owed him many years ago. His step sister was good to him.

Still crying, miss him. The living world lost a very sweet talented person.
    sumas....maybe his family tried to help him. maybe tough love? let his family handle the details.

RIP Django....I always enjoyed hearing what you had to say. :-)

AVIS
    MATTHEW LOFLIN 46, peacefully passed away Friday, April 17, 2015 at his home in Detroit. He is survived by his son Gibson Davis, his step father William VanTiem, his brother Philip VanTiem [[Mariam) his sister Laura Ledesma [[Areos), nephews Luke, Milad, and Elliot, niece Sofia, the love of his life and his guardian angel Beth Breidenstein, his brothers from another mother Chris Dean, Aaron Timlin, Kent Richards, Mark Tabor, and Vince Cavasin, and innumerable friends and admirers. He was preceded in death by his mother Suzanne Mae VanTiem and his father James William Davis who died in the Viet Nam war when Matt was ayear old. Matt was an amazing photographer and writer, asteam roller on the topic of the war on drugs, aDetroit tour guide, a stacker of rocks, awelder, alover of dogs. He painted cross legged Buddhas all over Detroit and traveled the world looking for some combination of adventure and friendly people. Above all Matthew was akind hearted person with no pretense, a beautiful man many of us were fortunate to know. There will be aceremony and celebration of his life in his honor at 5pm, Wed., April 22 at 3930 Cass Ave., Detroit, MI 48201 at the Old Miami. Memorial contributions may be made in Matt’s honor to Harm Reduction Coalition http://harmreduction.org/   or FAMM http://famm.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    sumas....maybe his family tried to help him. maybe tough love? let his family handle the details.
    I know they did. Some pretty expensive re hab centers when he was much younger. I agree with you in principal.

My husband can tell you also, I am too obssesive, I am... I hate not being in the know.

I will take his favorite cookies.

I just hope they honor him properly, Matthew had that monkey, but he was one of the nicest person I knew. He was honest and loyal.

Crap, now I am crying again.

So I'll take a picture of Sarge and "Turkey loaf' so named by Django

RIP, Django. He will be missed.

rest in peace.. blessings to the family...

Bump

Django memorial party this day 5 pm Miami bar.

My condolences I always enjoyed his take on issues whether I agreed with him or not. A voice that will be missed RIP

I never interacted with him much, but I always enjoyed reading what he had to say. One thing I always noticed is that whatever he was arguing for or against, he had reason behind his argument. I respect that.

RIP.

sumas, i think his obit. was a nice honor. although i have never met him, or anyone from here for that matter, i did enjoy reading his opinions and thoughts. two nights ago, i read his blog that, i think, he had not added to since 2011 or so, and honestly, was quite impressed and saddened at the same time.

please let us know, that did not know him personally, about tonight's celebration.
    Last edited by Maof; April-22-15 at 02:14 PM.

^^ I'll be there, about 7ish [[It'll take me a while to saw the chain from my desk first).
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-22-15 at 09:28 PM. Reason: missing text

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    sumas, i think his obit. was a nice honor. although i have never met him, or anyone from here for that matter, i did enjoy reading his opinions and thoughts. two nights ago, i read his blog that, i think, he had not added to since 2011 or so, and honestly, was quite impressed and saddened at the same time.

please let us know, that did not know him personally, about tonight's celebration.
    The pics were great, the flowers beautiful, his step family were there. I didn't stay long. I really could not handle my personal grief. Tons of people were showing up. He knew so many and was loved and remembered. Still in a state of shock.

I purchased a scooter in Detroit and gave it to Django when I left. I wanted Django to have the scooter so he could get around Detroit and pursue his photography of the city.

I paid cash for the scooter at the dealership, so there is no finance owing on it. I will get the registration papers to Django's sister Laura and she can do what she wants with the bike or give it to one of Django's friends.

Does anyone know someone who can make use of the bike? It's no Harley, but here is the bike in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0b5S8P1uUE

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I purchased a scooter in Detroit and gave it to Django when I left. I wanted Django to have the scooter so he could get around Detroit and pursue his photography of the city.

I paid cash for the scooter at the dealership, so there is no finance owing on it. I will get the registration papers to Django's sister Laura and she can do what she wants with the bike or give it to one of Django's friends.

Does anyone know someone who can make use of the bike? It's no Harley, but here is the bike in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0b5S8P1uUE
    He loved that scooter, it got him around. He blew a tire, got it fixed. probably hocked a few times too. Matt lived life on his own terms. The last time we saw him, a few weeks back, he was on that scooter.

Our son gave him a very expensive bike. Matt didn't have much but would bet anything he had, he would want all to go to friends. Pretty sure it's all gone. That's ok Matt would just laugh. He was pretty good at losing things. Really good at losing things!

Gannon and his Christine along with Kathleen and Plymouthres and DowntownGuy and another hundred or so friends of every stripe and background; everyone was heartbroken.

I was fine when I got there. The usual cast of the unusual were near the door and since the Old Miami always reminds me of that bar in Star Wars I felt ok.

Then i saw Gannon and just sobbed. I am not a sobber. Not until today.

I told you the first rule about Sob Club...

I would've been right there with ya if I hadn't used up my tears over the weekend. And every time I had to tell anyone about him since. And every time I try to get anything done.

What an amazing room full of love. Damnit, I went in feeling alienated and a bit cold, maybe somewhat relieved that there was one less person on the Earth I had to care whether they were alive or not.

Now there are at least fifty MORE people on that otherwise dwindling list. His family is now my family. Those he loved who shared their grief immediately non-strangers.

The stripper setup story, I gotta tell.

Matt's straight-laced pilot brother ran out for some food in the mid-afternoon for the family, so they wouldn't have to face the unknown crowd hungry.

His sister had mentioned something about Matt's desire to have "strippers and blow" at his funeral on Facebook a few days ago, but I demurely declined..."I'm not your guy for that, the one stripper I knew moved to Hawai'i."

So, this afternoon, the first stoplight pilot-bro hits, he gets stuck behind someone with a bumpersticker on it that read, "If you need a stripper, call..." So he did.

And we got strippers for Matt's funeral.

For the record, I never saw any blow. Any kind.

Another story from his brother...who previously lived in San Francisco. He was walking down by one of the piers and noticed a young fellow stacking rocks. He approached the guy and said something like, "I haven't seen anyone stacking rocks besides my brother" and the kid replied "Perhaps if your brother's name is Matt Davis..."

It rocked his world, here he'd been following all the rules, keeping a life worthy of maintaining a commercial pilot's license...and his junkie brother's reputation beats him across the country! It totally changed his viewpoint on the power of art...

Much love to everyone suffering this loss out there...Django was loved by many who came together tonight and celebrated his life. Every dingy and hopeful and beauty-seeking piece of it.

Cheers, somehow,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; April-23-15 at 10:26 PM.

The comments are grand for those not present, thank you for sharing them. I was unable to attend the gathering but will sure miss Django. I was just going back over some of his posts:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/search.php?searchid=423888
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-23-15 at 01:15 AM.

You made me smile with that one G!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ....the Old Miami always reminds me of that bar in Star Wars I felt ok.

I still wish I could have taken Sarge or even Turkey loaf so named by Matt. I feel bad I didn't take pictures or his book! Somehow I just couldn't.

Do hope someone will share how Matt will be interred or cremains scattered. I need closure.

My dogs which he loved, all sense something is wrong. It is a ridulous hour of the morning and they are all swarming me.

I am no philosopher, but this is the song I listen to when I am feeling reflective. It was written by my fellow Australian, Baz Luhrmann. He is a successful Hollywood movie producer these days. It is a spoken-word song and contains many 'home truths':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQlJ3vOp6nI

[[Warning: if you ever meet Baz Luhrmann, he never shuts up - hence, it doesn't surprise me that he wrote a spoken-word song!)

This is nice too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6cFMRqXqU
    Last edited by night-timer; April-23-15 at 07:14 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast