Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Can anyone help: I wish to contact the owners of the "Old Miami" bar on Cass Avenue in the Midtown Cass Corridor. Whenever I went there with Django, he genuinely cared about the fish in the pond in the Miami beer garden, out the back. I think it's appropriate that we remember Django's moments at his favorite hang-out... cheers, Robert Wallace.
    I can only imagine that Danny is already thinking of something...and if the weather agrees, that backyard would be the most appropriate venue as far as I'm concerned. Like most of us, Danny and Julie had some tumult in their relationship with Matt...but his honest spirit usually smoothed things over as best he could.

I'll try to see his sister when she comes to town Monday, although I know she's got much larger priorities than me. We've a camera to get out of hock, at least.

That's what I was supposed to do with him Friday afternoon...but had to cancel because I was sick. Oddly, he wanted to scrap some metal he found on his travels...ironic. He'd not scrapped in a while, at least not that I knew.

I hoped this morning would be better than yesterday...it is not. I don't like this world without Matthew Loflin Davis in it. Life got decidedly less interesting now that he's not adding to my memory bank. I miss my friend. Hard to feel the impact he had on me...via the vacuum of that space now.

His posts never disappointed and I always enjoyed the perspective he brought. The picture of him stacking rocks on the island is beautiful . I'm pretty sure I get what Django was throwing down, condolences to those who knew him personally.

So sad to hear this news. We've lost a unique persona among Detroit supporters.

R.I.P, Django!!!

Condolences to his friends, who have lost a light in their lives.

This is an un-edited part of a long interview I did with Matthew Loflin Davis at the abandoned ruins of the Grand Trunk Rail Building in Detroit. We were on the roof of the building when we did this interview, but this is just one small part of a much longer interview filmed from multiple camera angles. You're seeing a really basic view here....

[[SORRY - WARNING - the un-edited audio quality is poor until it has be edited... )
    Last edited by night-timer; April-19-15 at 07:44 AM.

My sympathies to his family and many friends. I always enjoyed his perspective on this forum.

R.I.P. Django, sounds like one of the good people.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    R.I.P. Django, sounds like one of the good people.
    I feel truly, truly hurt.
    Matt was amazingly good.
    Detroit will never be the same.
    Blessed Be, Matt, my dear brother...
    Matt became my brother more than anyone....

I considered him a valuable contributor to the board. Django will be missed.

My prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends. For those of you that knew him well, I feel your loss. R.I.P Django. You will be missed.

Rest in Peace to an artist of the soul, much can be said about Django and everyone here has been saying it. His insight and comments will truly be missed! Somehow he just always left an impression. I do not often write on this site anymore but I really enjoyed some of his inspirations and his ability to express his need for his fellow mankind. Matthew, you will be missed. I recently went to one of those Palm reading , stone reading , etc. events. When I saw an event called stone stacking my thoughts went to Matt. The event was no where near as exciting as what Django had accomplished. R.I.P.!

Matt's sister said through FB that there will be a gathering at the Old Miami bar on Wednesday evening, starting at 5 o'clock. I am unaware of any other plans, but will post when they firm up.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    This is an un-edited part of a long interview I did with Matthew Loflin Davis at the abandoned ruins of the Grand Trunk Rail Building in Detroit. We were on the roof of the building when we did this interview, but this is just one small part of a much longer interview filmed from multiple camera angles. You're seeing a really basic view here....

[[SORRY - WARNING - the un-edited audio quality is poor until it has be edited... )
    Cut yourself some slack, Robert...none of us knew a polished and prepped and auto-tuned Django. Every one of these will be appreciated by those who miss him, no matter the quality.

I know you've got your standards, but you're giving us a gift we could not otherwise encounter.

Many blessings and great peace to you, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Matt's sister said through FB that there will be a gathering at the Old Miami bar on Wednesday evening, starting at 5 o'clock. I am unaware of any other plans, but will post when they firm up.
    This is her post from Django's Facebook page.

I just wanted to let everyone know that we will be having a celebration of my brother Matthew Loflin Davis's life this Wednesday, April 22 at 5pm at The Old Miami in Detroit. Bring your pictures and your stories. The address is 3930 Cass Ave, Detroit, MI 48201. I hope to see everyone there. I'll be needing hugs.

Also posting atop the original post for visibility...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This is her post from Django's Facebook page.
    I just wanted to let everyone know that we will be having a celebration of my brother Matthew Loflin Davis's life this Wednesday, April 22 at 5pm at The Old Miami in Detroit. Bring your pictures and your stories. The address is 3930 Cass Ave, Detroit, MI 48201. I hope to see everyone there. I'll be needing hugs.

Also posting atop the original post for visibility...
    An odd question, can we bring Sarge, the only dog he ever loved after Farnsworth. Got at least eight tickets on Belle Isle for no leash.

He managed to lose Sarge after picking him up from Canine to Five for us. He went crazy trying to find him and Sarge was just sitting on the stoop when he came back. They had a bond!

Sad, sad, sad news. I always enjoyed Django's contributions and observations here. My condolences to Matt's family and his many friends and acquaintances. His is a very tough loss. He was one of those people who is Detroit, in so many ways.

We will all miss you, Django. I pray your spirit remains around the City and that you will watch over all of us. My condolences to your family and and friends.

Detroit lost part of its soul....R.I.P. Django.... You will be missed... Whaler

Very sorry to hear of Django's passing, my condolences to his friends and family. I will try to be at the memorial on Wednesday.

All flesh is like grass, and all its glory like the flower of the grass. The grass dies and the flower dies with it. The wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But the memory of art and its creator endures.

Quote paraphrased from I Peter 1:24 and Psalm 103:15

Haven't spent a large amount of time contributing here in a few years. But I always come by to keep up with the important things. Django was one of the important people around here. I have watched as he went through both good and bad, I am saddened now to have also watched his final departure.
    I loved his take on things, and the sharing of his life with us. 5 or 6 years ago I stacked some rocks along the bank of the Cumberland river here in Tennessee, and I placed my beloved Strohs can on the top and took a picture. I sent that photo to him to let him know he was alright in my book.
    I may not be here as often as I once was, but the memory of my favorite DYES posters will remain with me always.
    RIP
    Django.

Does Danny Overstreet still own the Miami? I was wondering if he or anyone knew what happened to Vietnam Vet, Charles Lindbergh?
    We drove back to visit that summer and saw Django's beautiful art on the shore.
    Thank you for sharing the photos Lowell. I will never forget what it was like to see the first time.

RIP Django
    Condolences to his family and friends ~ <3

My2Cents

From Aug 2010
    "Django, I spent some time on the water today, and thought about the clip of you stacking rocks on the freaks beach thread. well, anyway, I had no one trying to run me off and I thought "What the Heck" ? I'm no where near ready to do big rocks, but it's a start!
    In honor of Django, I present my own little pile of rocks....Tennessee style! ...
    ......with a little Detroit born, liquid influence"Name:  2d.JPG
Views: 1443
Size:  22.2 KB

A guy called Robert Maniscalco filmed a documentary about Django. It pertains to Django's rock sculptures on Belle Isle in 2003. Here is the documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVP5mTaMI48

Vince Cavasin contacted me when I said we should create an online memorial to Django. Vince told me he created a website for Django years ago but never did much with it. It's still online. The website can be found here: www.mldavis.com - I'm sure Vince would appreciate input from you all.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...LIN+DAVIS+-%22
    Last edited by night-timer; April-20-15 at 08:39 PM.

I don't have the fortitude yet to open clips and pictures. I am still crying. Supposed to find out today if I can take Sarge to his "wake". Ran out of Klenex so I am sitting here with a roll of towel paper.

I do hope there is a good turn out, I doubt his family had a clue at how much he was loved and admired by so many.

When I heard the news about Django, I knew that I had to let Barbara Nadel, the British crime fiction writer who visited Detroit several years back to do research for her upcoming novel that she decided would be set in Detroit, know of his passing as he had shown her our city through his eyes.

She has written this blog tribute to Django:
    Django by Barbara Nadel
    http://www.internationalcrimeauthors.com/?p=6278

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast