Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rick Snyder for President

What is that one tough nerd is doing? Gov. Rick Snyder is thinking about throwing his hat into the presidential ring.

Here is my advise " Don't run! stay as governor! " You will lose before you go the Iowa Caucus.

Here's the source!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...l-run-30404689

I'm about to laugh right now AHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!

If the United States needs and wants an INDEPENDENT candidate for POTUS, Snyder should be their man.

He isn't a Democrat and he isn't anything like the 20+ possible GOP candidates running for their presidential nomination.

His campaign slogan: "I'm not a Bush and I'm certainly not a Clinton, but I am proven nerd from the great state of Michigan."

He will be eaten alive from the "real" media. The local media in Michigan is a big pushover. I hope he runs so I can get some laughs.

A very long shot. The upcoming vote on the sales tax hike which he is supporting is lose-lose for him. If it goes down it makes him look weak, if he wins he's an apostate to the the-no-new-taxes fanatics of his party, who are the most ardent primary voters.

There is a strong possibility of no candidate having a majority of delegates going into the Republican convention, maybe no one with even 25% - their first since son-of-Owosso-Michigan Thomas Dewey won out the brokered 1948 convention. A brokered convention could give him and Ohio's Kasich dark horse opportunities. Even then Kasich would have the edge as Ohio's status as swing vote state would be of more value.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    A very long shot. ...
    Would not we have said the same thing about Obama or Clinton at some point?

Snyder is a pragmatic, non-dogmatic governor. With Walker and Kaisch ahead, hard to see him breaking past them. But who knows. Sometimes a long shot strikes. And might set him up for 2020 or other office.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    He will be eaten alive from the "real" media. The local media in Michigan is a big pushover. I hope he runs so I can get some laughs.
    Of course.

And from what I hear through my circuits, most outside of Michigan aren't fans of the politics in Michigan as of late. It's just not discussed often because Michigan is considered flyover country...
    Last edited by 313WX; April-18-15 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Would not we have said the same thing about Obama or Clinton at some point?

Snyder is a pragmatic, non-dogmatic governor. With Walker and Kaisch ahead, hard to see him breaking past them. But who knows. Sometimes a long shot strikes. And might set him up for 2020 or other office.
    I say 'no' for two reasons:

1). The pure number of Republicans [[ ~20) running makes it hard to pick ANYONE to be the nominee.

2). Snyder is so different then the entire Republican base.

Snyder is the proverbial "I-can-win-in-November-but-not-get-nominated-by-my-party' candidate.

I need a good laugh today; now I've had it.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I say 'no' for two reasons:

1). The pure number of Republicans [[ ~20) running makes it hard to pick ANYONE to be the nominee.

2). Snyder is so different then the entire Republican base.

Snyder is the proverbial "I-can-win-in-November-but-not-get-nominated-by-my-party' candidate.
    You're probably right, but simple categorization of 'the base' of the Republican Party doesn't capture the current tumult in the party.

If he runs, he'll have to give up being governor. That's a win in itself.

So Snyder, get out of the presidential race while you still can. Stay in the governors' race for Michigan. Later retire and die!

Snyder makes perfect sense if they want to win the moderate vote. Republicans need someone that can get it done in states like Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio. None of the current candidates[[maybe Chris Christie) can really to do that.

Ha Ha Ha... Thanks for a good laugh, on a beautiful spring day.

He is young enough that he could be the nominee of the Republican party after it evolves away from its current rigid orthodoxy, but he could never win the nomination of the current one. Also, I have a hard time imagining someone with his voice as a successful presidential candidate.

No thanks. He's barely into his second term. Finish your job.

Am I the only one who watches the state of the state? He is weak at best with public speaking. No chance at all in a presidential race without that skill.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Am I the only one who watches the state of the state? He is weak at best with public speaking. No chance at all in a presidential race without that skill.
    And that is what is so sad about what has become of too large a portion of the American electorate. People are too focused on the superficial [[such as public speaking skills) and not focused enough on the facts and substance of a candidate.

Case in point: The current occupant of the White House was a fantastic orator during the campaigns [[thanks in large part to the teleprompter) but that is where it ended for him. Public speaking was his only viable skill. There was no substance behind the man and nothing that qualified him for the highest office in the Nation.

Sure, this is my opinion and we are all entitled to our opinions. But some may think that Governor Snyder is a fine public speaker while others may not. I am neutral on the issue of his oratorical skills because they do not determine his fitness for office. But I do believe that he has done an extraordinary job as Governor.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    He's not a great speaker. And I agree with you that he has little chance without 'that skill'.

The public, though, does notice things like this. They know they elected a slick talker and a polarizing leader. A solid leader and dull leader might have some appeal.

I think the biggest problem for Snyder is that Walker made successful changes in Wisconsin that are showing results. He makes a case for, and has proven that public service reform can be done fairly. And that we can do a better job of serving citizens that we have.

Oh yeah, that Obama. Nothing but a smooth talker. He's just a community organizer.

He was the director of a community organization between undergrad [[majored in political science) and law school where he was president of the Harvard Law Review and graduated manga cum laude. Afterwards for over a decade he was an attorney and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago. During this time he also did various non-profit things, sat on boards, etc. After that he ran and was relected for several terms as a state senator and then after that was a us senator.

Overall a pretty accomplished person, and his law background isn't dissimilar to the majority of politicians.

Oh yeah and don't forget, "divisive". It's not his fault that a segment of our nation's citizens are flipping out. The same people are constantly flipping out about all kinds of things [[rarely related to him) so they don't have much credibility. They woke up and saw on the calendar that it was 2015, and they just can't cope with it.

Snyder can't be president because Republicans don't like him.
    Last edited by Jason; April-19-15 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Oh yeah, that Obama. Nothing but a smooth talker. He's just a community organizer.

He was the director of a community organization between undergrad [[majored in political science) and law school where he was president of the Harvard Law Review and graduated manga cum laude. Afterwards for over a decade he was an attorney and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago. During this time he also did various non-profit things, sat on boards, etc. After that he ran and was relected for several terms as a state senator and then after that was a us senator.

Overall a pretty accomplished person, and his law background isn't dissimilar to the majority of politicians.

Oh yeah and don't forget, "divisive". It's not his fault that a segment of our nation's citizens are flipping out. The same people are constantly flipping out about all kinds of things [[rarely related to him) so they don't have much credibility. They woke up and saw on the calendar that it was 2015, and they just can't cope with it.
    Oh, come on now!!! Don't litter all other this thread with your facts!!!

I don't think that's true, but the Republican extremists, who essentially choose the candidate, think he's a liberal. Truth be told, he's not very far to the right of Obama, who also is not liberal

I respect President Obama, and I think he is well intentioned. But I disagree with him. Am I allowed that? Or does that make me a 'birther'?

He ran as someone who would unite us. And certainly he met with Republican resistance. Big surprise to him, it couldn't be. I don't see that he did much to unite us.

Uniting actually requires compromise, and Obama has not compromised. Obamacare [[bless him) and changing filibuster rules were don unilaterally and in what may come back to bite Dems.

Obama set a high standard for himself saying he would unite, and instead he ramming things through brutally. At this point again the Dem say it was because Repubs were stubborn and wouldn't help. Sure, that's true. And that's the world he said he'd unite.

As to Snyder.... I don't agree that he's not liked. He just ain't anything special to a lot of them. He did grant Michigan citizens the freedom of associate via granting a right to work even if you don't want to join a union -- but when he could he actually was a Uniter. And that's not what the public on either side seems to have been seeking.

... Snyder can't be president because Republicans don't like him.
    From today's comics:

Hard to see this happening, but maybe a Bush-Snyder or Rubio-Snyder ticket. That isn't impossible to fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    And that is what is so sad about what has become of too large a portion of the American electorate. People are too focused on the superficial [[such as public speaking skills) and not focused enough on the facts and substance of a candidate.

Case in point: The current occupant of the White House was a fantastic orator during the campaigns [[thanks in large part to the teleprompter) but that is where it ended for him. Public speaking was his only viable skill. There was no substance behind the man and nothing that qualified him for the highest office in the Nation.

Sure, this is my opinion and we are all entitled to our opinions. But some may think that Governor Snyder is a fine public speaker while others may not. I am neutral on the issue of his oratorical skills because they do not determine his fitness for office. But I do believe that he has done an extraordinary job as Governor.
    An extraordinary job? In what manner? He's been extraordinary at manufacturing fiscal crises by cutting taxes for millionaires, then making up the difference by slashing spending on education. His propensity to cave on issues he's not personally invested in indicates to me we'd be involved in four or five stupid wars before his first year was over. He'd be an even bigger disaster than George W was. And don't get me started on job creation. Michigan's recovery this time is yet another auto-based recovery, not some magical increase in start-ups or drawing jobs from other states due to Snyder's tax policies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast