Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle loses sidewalks

http://detroitgreenways.org/complete...at-belle-isle/

Much of the complaint from Detroit Greenways seems to be around the Grand Prix section of the island which has gotten tremendous upgrades. Some complaints seem valid and some suggestions seem pretty good. But I'm not quite sure about the focus on sidewalks.

I haven't been to Belle Isle since it became a state park, but I've never really noticed pedestrians walking on the sidewalk on the left side of Sunset Drive. Most of the time I would just see people in the bike lane even when there was a sidewalk. Anyone here a frequent jogger or cyclist around Belle Isle that thinks this is as big a deal as Greenways is making it seem? Is traffic such a concern that people feel unsafe on the street?

Sidewalks are an accessibility issue. Yes, you can get anywhere if you have the use of your legs. It's a much different story if you're in a wheel chair or have limited mobility.

"Sidewalks are an accessibility issue. Yes, you can get anywhere if you have the use of your legs. It's a much different story if you're in a wheel chair or have limited mobility."
    Well stated. It is a park, not just a parkway.

DNR spokesman said it was because they needed more room for the new angle parking. I prefer the parallel parking set up. First of all, the new lines for angle parking are so faded, it's hard to see that there is angle parking. Second, with angle parking, you now see the people walking on the sidewalks on the outer ring and more importantly they see you. It's a strange feeling. A sense of privacy is now gone. Anyway, I think the state is just using that, parallel parking, as an excuse so that they don't have to maintain the inner sidewalks around the western tip of Belle Isle. I think the Grand Prix also has something to do with it.

My wife and I went to Belle Isle on Saturday. Had a picnic at Sunset Point. Parking was no problem along the barrier for the GP. And man were there a lot of people out and about on the island. I'll admit, the last time I was on the island was probably 3 or 4 years ago, and it was a complete shithole. I was overtaken by how clean and kept it was looking, the only thing looking out of place was the old zoo. My wife [[extremely sheltered during her youth) didn't realize a place, in her words, "this beautiful existed in Detroit." We were both extremely impressed and plan on making more trips to the part this summer with friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    DNR spokesman said it was because they needed more room for the new angle parking. I prefer the parallel parking set up. First of all, the new lines for angle parking are so faded, it's hard to see that there is angle parking. Second, with angle parking, you now see the people walking on the sidewalks on the outer ring and more importantly they see you. It's a strange feeling. A sense of privacy is now gone. Anyway, I think the state is just using that, parallel parking, as an excuse so that they don't have to maintain the inner sidewalks around the western tip of Belle Isle. I think the Grand Prix also has something to do with it.
    I suspect the angled parking is a form of traffic calming. People seem less likely to fly down the road if there's a chance a car is backing out.