Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

lilpup Guest

Default Employer expectations are out of line

I just finished scanning through the Michigan Talent Bank jobs website set up by the state and I have to say I think employers are getting lazy and carried away with what they are expecting to find right off the street. What ever happened to employers training for positions? It seems that in the race for ever higher profits none want to make the effort to train people, even talented prospects, to the positions they need filled. All that pay a living wage are looking for prior experience, often times extensive experience. Where do they think people are getting it? College kids certainly don't get much in school and there's not much job crossover without entry level positions.

I was surprised at how many openings were listed, but after looking at the details I understand why. I'm less inclined to buy into Michigan's "unskilled labor" put down every time I see stuff like this.

You think that's bad? In my line of work, people pay the employer for training. I've worked with guys who were workning for free their entire first year on the job.

Right now there are alot of people with many years experience on the street and the employers know it.

lilpup Guest

If that were true, Jman, these jobs would be filled.

My brother was laid off less than two weeks ago and has already had a second interview for a position. My laid off cousin also lined up interviews quickly.

The positions taking advantage of laid off experience are getting filled without even advertising.

The rest are over-reaching in demands for experience or unrealistically low wage offerings.
    Last edited by lilpup; April-03-09 at 04:10 PM.

My experience of the job bank is that the employers are too lazy to delete the post if the position is filled. And too many Temp agencies are fishing for resumes for non - existant jobs. They just want to tell a client [[employer), that they have xx,xxx amount of fresh prospects. Then there are the scams on Craigslist.

In my zeal to train myself to wear many hats in manufacturing, I kinda screwed myself when it comes to the experience they want.

"...too many Temp agencies are fishing for resumes for non - existant jobs..."

Absolutely true, but it can be helpful if the user realizes that there is a lot of fluff there. I found a job at MTB last October. Unfortunately the new employer all but shut down a few months later, and I'm out of work again!
    Thank you to Purpleheart for the job list he posts on this site...

Will work for wages......

Will work for paycheck........

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    In my zeal to train myself to wear many hats in manufacturing, I kinda screwed myself when it comes to the experience they want.
    This is how I feel. I spent almost 20 years with one company, working my way up while learning, but now I can't really point to a major specialization to sell even though I have held almost every position short of corporate officer.

Jman,

I agree. The employers have a vast pool to draw from and yes they know it.

One of the main problems I see, are young folks entering the workforce with not even basic work skills. Moms and Dads need to work with their kids and teach them what they know. Plumbing needs work? Fix it and make the kids help you. Anything around the house, tear into it and make the kids learn it. These kids that know nothing but sports and video games are of little asset value to a company. And an interviewer can sniff them out.

What ever happened to employers training for positions?
    I read that the reason India was able to build their I.T. expertise so quickly was that they relied heavily on on-the-job training. Apparently their university system wasn't up to the task. Oh, the irony!

Moms and Dads need to work with their kids and teach them what they know.
    I had to do a junction box rewire and upgrade. The electrician brought out his 15 son, who did the interior work, while he did the exterior work. He also brought a 13 year old daughter who watched them both work. That 15 year old did residential work as good as I did machine wiring. I thought for what I was paying at the time, it was a ripoff, but now, I've changed my mind.

lilpup Guest

I can do that stuff - won't get me a job though since I've never been employed in the field.

Go over to "Master electrician" on Craigslist. They need the license for any code work. But pay a fifteen year old min. wage. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I can do that stuff - won't get me a job though since I've never been employed in the field.
    Get your sister elected to Council.

lilpup Guest

My sister is lucky. She's enough older that she's part of the baby boom that's sucking up so many jobs now, plus she went into a chemistry-related field. She has 31 years now with her employer, with whom she hired in right out of school.

My brother's a couple of years older than me and, although he's also into chemicals, he's had to job hunt once or twice [[started with AMC/Renault, then BASF) but hasn't had much trouble finding work either time.

It really does depend a lot upon the decisions you make when young. My field was more physics based engineering, not chem, electrical, or software, and that's made all the difference.

LodgeDodger Guest

How does it work for those who learn trades and have the classification of , say, a journeymen? Are they paid while learning the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    "...too many Temp agencies are fishing for resumes for non - existant jobs..."

Absolutely true, but it can be helpful if the user realizes that there is a lot of fluff there. I found a job at MTB last October. Unfortunately the new employer all but shut down a few months later, and I'm out of work again!
    Thank you to Purpleheart for the job list he posts on this site...

Will work for wages......
    When I post a job I think about just what this thread implies. Try to find those jobs which are real, close enough to work for, and provide a decent wage, and are not asking for the moon.

Times are tough out here, and yes the employers have a larger pool to pluck from but we are trained and have experience. Far too often people like to think of Detroit a bunch of low lives who can only do assembly work or menial labor! This is what I am fighting to overcome. We are talented and deserve a chance to succeed in all aspects of business/industry/health-care/you name it!

Every morning I go over 1000's of job openings and only post that job which is 1) Fresh 2)by the company it is offered through 3) located around the area 4) from a company I know of that is not going out of business 5) and PAYS GOOD!

Yes they mostly come from MTB but that is where all the companies are told to post to now, even government. There are a few thrown in there that I come across personally and also post job fairs and other opportunities. All I'm trying to do is give hope where hope may be failing, a chance when it seems that all are gone, and at least something to do positively everyday, if not for me for someone else.

We are coming out of this, and just watch, we will shine once more!

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    How does it work for those who learn trades and have the classification of , say, a journeymen? Are they paid while learning the job?
    Yes while I was an apprentice for the Carpenter's Union Local 118 I went to class all morning and then went to a job in the afternoon. I was even paid more because I was only on the job for a few hours a day.

When I became a Journeyman I was paid scale.

I enlisted in the US Marines one week after Beirut and the Marines keep paying my [[monthly) union dues all along. I remained a card carrying Journeyman through my entire career with the Military.

It costs money to train people.