3 33.33%
  • Feline

6 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canine? Feline?

Default Canine? Feline?

Canine?
    Feline?

Felines have a reputation of being weak and easily frightened, canines have a reputation for being fierce and brave. Yet, if you look at all the various flavors of feline and canine, the most ferocious of them are felines. Lions, tigers, jaguars, panthers, etc, these animals would rip apart any dog, fox, or wolf in seconds.

So, again.... ?

What are we voting on? Which one we have in our house? Which one we think is the strongest, or the bitiest? I think housecats are just too smart to attack things that are bigger than they are, but then, one of our neighbors has a housecat that got after my dog and chased her round and round. Dog did have it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Canine?
    Feline?

Felines have a reputation of being weak and easily frightened, canines have a reputation for being fierce and brave. Yet, if you look at all the various flavors of feline and canine, the most ferocious of them are felines. Lions, tigers, jaguars, panthers, etc, these animals would rip apart any dog, fox, or wolf in seconds.

So, again.... ?
    My dead cat, Strummer, once beat the crap out of a trained German Shepherd guard dog that wandered into my apartment. Strummer wasn't dead at the time, and he was a genuine Brooklyn alley cat

I vote for neither.

Why do cats hate bananas?

https://youtu.be/VJjReLsq5DM

Canine? Feline?

Avian

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow."
    -Jeff Valdez

I have found Detroit is mostly a "dog town" [[it was doberman's when I was growing up, and then, pitbulls took hold in the late '80s), but not as bad as others. Boston is almost all dogs; the only cats I ever saw were very sick, scrawney, skin-diseased mutant strays in Allston [[West Boston). Madison is very much a cat town [[even has a store on Willy St. called "Mad Cat"). Louisville was mostly dogs, but I occasional saw some dead cats laying around Kentucky St [[?!). Bloomington, IL. had some cats roaming about.

Saw a huge grey cat in Rochester, MN, as I petted it, the owner came out to talk to me. He told me it's name was "Gray" and proceeded to go into a story about how they had quite some confusion of determining it's sex. At which point, I interjected "Was this an issue of Gray's anatomy?" If he got that [[living in a huge medical town like Rochester, he probably did), he didn't show it.

Would not want to go into the stories about roadkill I've seen [[hitch)hiking this nation's roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I vote for neither.

https://youtu.be/VJjReLsq5DM
    they have taste

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    They don't find them a-pealing?

I'm for felines. [[if I gorra have one or the other) They don't need taking walkies.They don't bark.They don't eat as much. They always wash themselves. They don't crap everywhere.They don't bite. They don't jump up you. They don't slobber all over your face.They don't have moods; they're grouchy all the time. They don't hump your leg. They don't stick their nose up your crotch. They don't spend their lives drooling with their tongues hanging out. They don't hang around in gangs [[like the 50,000 reported to be roaming Detroit in 2013). I gotta leave it there because I'm leading a dogs life - but otherwise dogs alright too!
    Last edited by coracle; April-24-15 at 08:40 AM.

Every cat that's lived with me loves taking walks around the neighborhood with me. They stay close, keep up, and everything. The key to cats is pay a lot of attention to them as kittens and keep them stimulated, mildly jostled, surprised, etc. It keeps them from growing up to be nervous, shy, anti-social basket-cases that can't adjust to the slightest changes around them.

Seems working 3rd shift on a Friday night has gotten the best of me.

I adore cats...instead I HAVE 3 INHERITED DOGS. Which are staring at me as I write. I like them but they are way more effort than cats. Two dogs have lived with cats the other would rather kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Seems working 3rd shift on a Friday night has gotten the best of me.
    Se til helvete og kom dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje, det er en slags ting! Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig! KOM DERE VEKK IDIOTER!!

Not as zany as the stories where cats make tremendous treks across many states to be reunited with their owners [[who somehow lost them...). http://www.wxyz.com/news/cat-lost-du...rs-in-michiganWasn't there a song about this?

Wish I could say this has been a good year for dogs, so far. They've been taking quite a bad rap. if they are not getting shot with arrows, or by cops at a historic ball field, then they are getting tracked down with boomerangs for belonging to Johnny Depp.

My mother recently acquired a cat. He is by far the hugest handful she's ever had [[-and just because she lives in Dearborn, does not mean she hordes them. She has never exceeded two. Her "sister" on the otherhand....). The poor thing was a scrapper from a huge, dirty litter from some trailer park past Northville, and now he's way bigger looking than his age suggests. He is the most manic and rambunctious cat [[and he's become somewhat immune to being sprayed by the waterbottle now) that has ever been a part of the family, and he loves to knock over everything, scatter papers, attack legs and hands, scratch wildly at the doorknobs of closed doors, attack the poor, older cat, get right in front of the computer or TV screen [[especially if a cartoon is being watched), etc. In short, a terrific Halloween cat.

Moreso, he will go nuts and wail when you eat any food around him, and he will attempt to scramble onto you to get at it [[so much for peaceful family dinners at mom's house). I've seen him eat corn, popcorn, cornchips, carrots, peanut butter, cranberries, potato chips, peaches, etc., so she has to watch carefully when splitting her pills around him and to make sure he doesn't get his head stuck in some sour cream container.

He has a name [[and I know T.S. Eliot suggests they have at least threehttp://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets...ot/poems/15121), but if it were up to me, he'd be named the Abominable Boris Nibbles, the Reverend Jack Cheese, The Rancor, Sir Perceval Pymsnapper, Kenneth McMillan, Roomba 900 Series, or Jimbo the Defiler.
    Last edited by G-DDT; August-15-15 at 12:05 AM. Reason: additions

^^^ Sounds like a stressor cat! I like cats but their scratches are highly infectious so I can't abide a cat scratching me. And for sure NO jumping up on you or guests while dining. Period! We never allowed pets while eating. Hopefully the cat will calm down and chill with age, but I would not have such a cat presenting with those tendencies so strongly and I've owned several cats and dogs over a span of many, many years.

All of my cats except one were rescue cats. One from up in a tree. I had sweet cat that was a drop off for someones trip and they never came back for her. Maybe it was just luck but they were all fairly calm, did not claw or scratch or hiss much. I never had to have them de-clawed. They were trained to and clawed at their claw boards.

I would see how it goes as kitty adjusts. And try the newspaper rolled-up slap near where the cat goes when you see the kitty cat approach area, this usually helped my cats when they got momentarily crazy and when they were young.

Certain breeds howl [[I avoided that breed), and most will when in heat. Spaying and neutering ends that drama! I'd not feed an animal from the table -- a cat that will eat anything may end up kitty heaven from accidental poisoning! And if you feed them from the table they associate eating when you are eating. And all the disruption associated with that.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-15 at 08:25 AM.

I'm not one for table feeding [[unless Thanksgiving comes around, than the little goblins get some Turkey and some liver scraps-hey! it's the holidays with the family) either. It's just a matter of being careful. You can be eating popcorn, and the minute one piece tumbles to the carpet, he pounces and snaps it up.

He's the biggest challenge, yet. However, we aren't the type of family to ever give up on a cat. We don't like de-clawing, but he may drastically change once he's fixed.

I'm also allergic to cats [[I can't have them up on me, I sit on the edges and horns of my mom's furniture, I can only touch them with my hands, and even then, I have to constantly wash my hands afterwards, so that I touch no other part of me), so the scratching is forbidden....but, man, this one loves to mindlessly teeth on everything.

We get our cats to fall into some margin of respect with us. Playing often gets them to bond with me. The best is when I take a walk around the block there, and any of the cats that has lived with us will follow within twenty feet of me [[staying well clear of the road, but occasionally darting up a tree or diving after a rabbit). The neighbors there think it's so odd that we "walk our cats".

Grand Rapids cartoonist, Jeffrey Brown, has written some funny strips about cat behavior [[and some good ones on Darth Vader and his kids). He captured really well the quirk where a cat will look out a window at birds congregating out in the yard and start making this little "eh ehe eh eh" chirp. He just started learning to do that when I whip a feathered doo-hick on a string about the room like it's a bird flying low.

"Dogs have owners. Cats have staff." <- says it all.

Oh, and never ever feed your cat 'human' food or any scraps from the kitchen when preparing food. You will regret it.

Read about it in a book about Japan and thought "Wasn't there an episode of Futurama about this?" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik...opular_culture

More proof of a bad year for dogs http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-woman...l-control-fees

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    What a bunch of ass-clowns. Someone should do the City a favor and euthanize the pack of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast