Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help ID a building - Detroit 1910

Here is Campus Martius in 1910, photo from the Library of Congress and I think Shorpy featured it. Can anyone help ID the building the background with the arrow pointing to it? Thank you.
    Name:  Detroit 1910.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  33.2 KB

that is the ford building. it is still standing.

This is before the Penobscot and Guardian. Not a building I see talked about much.

Thanks very much Southen.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
    This is before the Penobscot and Guardian. Not a building I see talked about much.
    It blends in and isn't really noticeable from a distance. I also think it's a building that had its cornices chopped off the roof making it even less distinct.

It also has nothing to do with Henry Ford or FoMoCo. These Fords were into glass manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It also has nothing to do with Henry Ford or FoMoCo. These Fords were into glass manufacturing.
    THANK YOU. I always wondered why it wasn't very Ford-ish.

I would not have been able to tell you what building that was. It's so hidden in the skyline, but such a sexy building.

Shorpy has other pics of the Ford Building and Dime buildings under construction. It is always interesting seeing pre-OSHA construction practices.

The Ford Plate Glass company has an interesting history and one that is rarely discussed. Here is a link to the Grosse Pointe Historical Society that outlines the exceptional People involved:
    http://www.gphistorical.org/stonehurst/

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Shorpy has other pics of the Ford Building and Dime buildings under construction. It is always interesting seeing pre-OSHA construction practices.
    I do not understand why many on here think Shorpy is this great site. They are ripping everyone off! All they do is take images that are available for free from the Library of Congress and post them on their site. They claim to spuce up the image but anyone with halfway decent photo editing software can do the same. For those who are interested a link to the Detroit based images at the LoC.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?...20mich&sg=true

I don't feel ripped off because I haven't paid them a dime. I think of Shorpy as curating the LoC collection. They do the work of finding interesting pictures, cleaning them up and posting them. Plus the comments are edited, so they tend to be pretty funny/interesting, without having to wade through the usual political rants in unedited comments [[see Detroit News).

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    I don't feel ripped off because I haven't paid them a dime. I think of Shorpy as curating the LoC collection. They do the work of finding interesting pictures, cleaning them up and posting them. Plus the comments are edited, so they tend to be pretty funny/interesting, without having to wade through the usual political rants in unedited comments [[see Detroit News).
    I agree, I feel the same way. The unedited versions don't have as much visible detail. If one person can find the interesting ones, edit them, and let everyone benefit from the work, that's a good thing.

The building on left is the once ritzy Hotel Pontchartrain. It's was demolished and move further to Jefferson Ave. when they made a bigger fancier hotel and they demolish and the new 1960s glass covered skyscraper of the hotel was built. To replace the old Hotel Pontchartrain, The First Nation Bank Building was built now owned by Dan Gilbert and Bedrock Holdings-Quicken Loans Corporation.