Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Oh how I miss Detroit tap water! We live in rural Minnesota and have well water. Before it goes through the water conditioner/softener, it smells like fish, and if you leave a glass of it sit for a couple weeks, there is a nice thick layer of red sediment on the bottom. Once it goes through the conditioner/softener, it tastes pretty good. We've been drinking it for 21 years with no ill effects.
    I'm a tap water fan but I wouldn't drink that.

I'm a tap water guy

Tap Water in the brita pitcher kept in the fridge!!!... Those plastic bottles are so wrong on many levels!!!... Whaler

Aquafina is drawn from the Detroit River, right? Seldom buy bottled water.

Detroit has great tap water compared to the rest of the country. In Houston, you can actually see stuff floating in it. The water department said it was "probably little flakes of lime". No biggie! Ewwww!

Despite being against the grain on this one, and despite the feeling that whenever I become more outspoken about certain hot-button topics on DY there seems to be an unprecedented [[yet distinct and becoming more predictable) upswing of "unconnected" problems that start occurring at home [[as if my life were "hacked"-more robo-calls, more problems with my email and accessing certain computer sites, even a distinct high-pitched sound that seems to interrupt sleep and make me generally irritable, etc.)...but that insubstantial surmising of paranoia aside, I'm still going to maintain my feelings on the issue at hand.

I've been drinking bottled water [[and of certain brands-not those directly connected to Pepsi) for over 17 years. I can detect subtleties others glaze over. Refrigerated Absopure from the large handled jug with the spicket [[which Kroger and Meijer's won't carry like Farmer Jack's used to) tastes much different than from the plain handled milk-jug [[which does taste metallic, and are only slightly different in plastic material construct).

Now that the issues with Flint's water has come to light, consider the following: 1.) Flint's residents were outspoken about this for a while. The cost it would make for Flint to correct this, was enough to bankrupt them [[according to an earlier broadcast). So, it was easier to employ the tactic [[like many agencies do, along with many critics here on DY) of turning it upon others [[saying it was their imagination, or that the presence of lead was localized to bad/aged piping within the homes of the residents themselves, etc.). Clearly there was an effort to suppress an environmental hazard affecting the populace and to avoid taking responsibility for it. [[pardon the site, https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../wate-s15.htmlas it does not necessarily reflect political leanings).

2.) Are we so dense as to adopt this "Well, that was waaaaay over there, and our large, dirty industrial city is different from that large, dirty industrial city and Synder has only had the best interests of Detroit's health in mind and past issues like St. Clair Shores dumping sewage was a fluke that never affected anyone."? It's this kind of going along with a compartmentalized "whistling past the graveyard" mentality that allows suppression of critical issues to occur and allows the astroturfers hired to carry out such suppression to brand the genuinely concerned as "hand-wringers".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4