Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It sounds like your landlord's brother needs to get the tinfoil hat off. I loathe buying bottled water because it is a waste. Our tap water in Detroit is far superior than any tap I've tasted elsewhere. He needs to get over himself.

I drink tap water at home and have a brita pitcher at the office. Our pipes downtown definitely add some "flavor" to the water.

In Detroit, there was nothing like good old Detroit tap water. But then we moved to Las Vegas and drink nothing but bottled water. Tap water out here full of calcium chlorides. Tastes like crap. Builds up white crystals after a while on the tap outlet.

But we're building a pipe line to Lake Michigan, as y'all know, to give us decent water and to give California the water it needs to grow avacados and brussel sprouts.

I used to but I live in Flint and they have been having trouble keeping it safe as of late.

I drink Detroit's tap water after first letting it run for about two-three minutes. Compared to most big cities we have a good system so I take advantage. However, I use a filter too in the home. Sometimes for heath reasons I will do distilled.

Always good ol' DWSD tap water for me. Hell, I've lived nearly within sight of the source for most of my life. My mother would have slapped me upside the head if I did anything as dopey as buying those pricey plastic-wrapped cases of filtered tap water in plastic bottles with attractive labels on them I see in the store.

It was one of the big culture shocks of my life when I first left Michigan to move out to California for a little while, and had people look at me agape with shock for drinking water from the tap. Like I was drinking mercury or something. The supermarkets there all had a whole aisle dedicated to bottled water, and everyone I knew out there kept jugs and jugs of the stuff around. All in the absolute certainty that the bottled stuff was far safer, purer, and "natural" than H2O that came out of the tap.

My mother and your mother would have been best friends. Here in Detroit we have great water. What a waste of money to buy the bottled stuff. She never did understand the culture of buying pop or coffee or water.

Did live in NM for a bit. The water sucked. I filtered it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It was one of the big culture shocks of my life when I first left Michigan to move out to California for a little while, and had people look at me agape with shock for drinking water from the tap. Like I was drinking mercury or something. The supermarkets there all had a whole aisle dedicated to bottled water, and everyone I knew out there kept jugs and jugs of the stuff around. All in the absolute certainty that the bottled stuff was far safer, purer, and "natural" than H2O that came out of the tap.
    I think that's why Mother Nature is punishing them with a drought. Love your mother!

Definitely LOVE our home-grown tap water! When we lived out in Northern CA, we NEVER drank from the faucet or water fountains because you could literally see tiny black chunks when you poured it into a glass. Made me appreciate our fine, pure, water all the more!

We often drink from the faucets, but also enjoy soda water. I think the best tasting water, ever, was straight from the hose, outside, on hot summer days, when summers lasted forever and the kids in the neighborhoods played frequent pick up baseball games.
    Do any children play unorganized ball anymore?

straight from the tap ..no filter...no bottles

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    We often drink from the faucets, but also enjoy soda water. I think the best tasting water, ever, was straight from the hose, outside, on hot summer days, when summers lasted forever and the kids in the neighborhoods played frequent pick up baseball games.
    Do any children play unorganized ball anymore?
    Yes they do, but they really like adults around. Take some bats, mitts, soft balls/hardballs to any park. Kids will swarm you. Same thing with tennis courts or basketball courts. All they really want is adult attention. Harms my heart sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It sounds like your landlord's brother needs to get the tinfoil hat off. I loathe buying bottled water because it is a waste. Our tap water in Detroit is far superior than any tap I've tasted elsewhere. He needs to get over himself.
    I agree, City of Detroit water is excellent. NYC water is really good too. The water in South Floridia is terrible, it used to have a yellow tinge to it. There's no yellow anymore but it's really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I agree, City of Detroit water is excellent. NYC water is really good too. The water in South Floridia is terrible, it used to have a yellow tinge to it. There's no yellow anymore but it's really bad.
    I guess that is why dough is so good in NYC bagels and pizza...they say it's the water quality.Not sure if it's a myth or not. I will say that Detroit water does have a slight chlorinated flavor at times, but it's better than what is here in DC.

In the other side of the Atlantic in Germany, locals and coworkers were horrified about drinking water out of the tap. Still not sure why.

I ONLY drink water distilled from the tears of ladybugs

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

In the other side of the Atlantic in Germany, locals and coworkers were horrified about drinking water out of the tap. Still not sure why.
    centuries of undrinkable, sewage-filled rivers and lakes?

They had two wars with mass open graves that contaminated a large percent of their ground water.

I guess that is why dough is so good in NYC bagels and pizza...they say it's the water quality.Not sure if it's a myth or not. I will say that Detroit water does have a slight chlorinated flavor at times, but it's better than what is here in DC.

Yes, NYC has some of the best water anywhere from mountains many miles away. Great system. They don't need filtration plants. A friend of mine here in Montreal is a waterworks engineer and he is all about filtration plants in small towns and medium sized cities. He doesn't trust city water here. His contention is that all the antibiotics from urine and all the microparticles and PCB's that don't break down. I filter it in a Brita jug at home because of the lead before the entry pipes intot the house. The whole house was replumbed except that. I am not a fan of bottled water, I would rather carry a bottle to fill.

No, as little as possible. Water is about all I drink, so I try to make it an average good things [[no! not Evian, Fuji, or Perrier). Bottled is sadly what I have to do, but I'm all too aware of the consequences the plastic has on me and the environment.

I think it funny when ever the issue of fluoride is brought up, there are scores of sites about "communist conspiracies" [["Purity of Essence" and all that from Dr. Strangelove), but let that serve as a model when other topics are brought up, how only the worst cited crackpots are found online [[or other media) to be given platform and prominence. I even had an older edition to "Prescription to Nutritional Healing" that had a specific address to send off for an information packet, never got it sent to me, and later editions completely omitted that. I've been mostly fluoride free for over 18 years, and my teeth are still quite intact [[for now-until some hired hard bastard goon knocks them out).

I drink good old Detroit tap water. It's refreshing and taste great. It's loaded with vitamin F [[ is in Fluorine) and Vitamin C [[ as in Chlorine). If its brown drink it down.

G-DDT, I agree completely on the fluoride... I'll drink tap water again once they no longer add this known neurotoxin. Anyone who ridicules this notion has most likely not researched it.

I don't love the idea of bottled water, but some are reverse-osmosis filtered, which is the only means to remove the fluoride. I'm in the process of getting a reverse-osmosis filter for my tap.

Whatever happened to "Last Call for Alcohol"?

I drink water straight out of the tap. Let it run a while to cold. Most refreshing. Ice cubes slightlly murky coming out of the refigerator ic-cube maker but the party store on the corner carries crystal clear US Ice Corp made in Detroit ice.

I use tap water for my coffee, my hot tea, my iced tea, my morning pills, my lunch, my dinner and with my evening snacks.

I, too, like it out of the hose in summer. Just something about it. Never lived on a farm. Just worked on the lawn and driveway.

Looking for a crock/jug with a spigot to hold water or iced tea for this summer. Any recommendations where to get a sanitary one?

I hear those refrigerator ice makers must have their filters changed or the back up of gunk passes right thru to the cubes. Uhh, no thank you. I don't own one. Have to make my cubes in a tray.

I got my glass sun tea jar at Target years ago. It has the spigot and all. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Whatever happened to "Last Call for Alcohol"?

I drink water straight out of the tap. Let it run a while to cold. Most refreshing. Ice cubes slightlly murky coming out of the refigerator ic-cube maker....

Looking for a crock/jug with a spigot to hold water or iced tea for this summer. Any recommendations where to get a sanitary one?

It's easy to change those filters, Zacha. Keep an extra filter on hand. Post the change date on whatever calendar you look at. Change the filter. Put new filter on your shopping list to have on hand for next time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast