Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Do you drink your tap water?

My landlord's brother was over doing some yardwork. He asked for some water, I brought him a glass filled from the tap, and he turned it down. Said he only drinks bottled water, never from a tap in the city.

As far as I know, bottled water is pretty much tap water. I know a lot of the service lines running from the street to the meter are still lead, but I'm pretty sure the water is safe anyway. Anyway, I've been drinking it for the past four years.

Am I alone on this? Do y'all drink tap water? If so, do you filter it?

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    My landlord's brother was over doing some yardwork. He asked for some water, I brought him a glass filled from the tap, and he turned it down. Said he only drinks bottled water, never from a tap in the city.

As far as I know, bottled water is pretty much tap water. I know a lot of the service lines running from the street to the meter are still lead, but I'm pretty sure the water is safe anyway. Anyway, I've been drinking it for the past four years.

Am I alone on this? Do y'all drink tap water? If so, do you filter it?
    I will drink tap water in most areas in and around Detroit as long as it doesn't smell funky. I prefer tap water. I did buy one of those pur faucet filters in the past and that makes things pretty close to bottled water. We have some of the better tasting water in the world coming out of our taps, why not use it?

I don't drink tap water either. You never know what people do to their faucets or what's coming out of their pipes...

Yes, I drink tap water. Guess the guy wasn't very thirsty.

Bottled water is a big pet peeve of mine, it's expensive, wasteful, and a $50 filter will get you great tasting water.

In order to avoid buying filter replacements every month, get a whole house filter and run it just through the kitchen cold water line it will last years.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-1-in-H...H35F/100471274

I drink from the tap, my favorite being from the hose in the summer. Guess that explains a lot

I drink it straight from the tap. And if working outside, straight from the garden hose. Been doing so all my life and I'm no worse off for doing so.
    I've lived and worked in a number of areas around the city and suburbs and good ol' Detroit tap water is all I ever drink.

Tap water, best in the nation. Second choice distilled Vodka.

Yep, our water comes from 100 ft straight down, Well water.

I can when I'm in detroit taste the iron and smell the disinfectant used.

I drank it for years never bothered me.

Bottled water in Michigan is a pet rock thing. Originally bottled water was for places like Mexico....

I've always drank tap water whether in Detroit or at home but I remember a couple of yrs. ago at Andiamo in the Ren Cen when I asked for water the waitress asked if I would prefer regular bottled, Perrier or Detroit's finest.

I find bottled water to be an unneeded expense and bad for the environment. I exclusively drink tap water.

Gallons and gallons of COD tap water weekly, and the only side effects are a compulsion to post on DetroitYES! As for bottled water, do you know there's an oil used in making those bottles, to release them from the injection mold? Do you know where that water came from and how long it's been sitting bottled in a hot warehouse somewhere? Just because there's a picture of a snowy peak on the label......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Gallons and gallons of COD tap water weekly, and the only side effects are a compulsion to post on DetroitYES! As for bottled water, do you know there's an oil used in making those bottles, to release them from the injection mold? Do you know where that water came from and how long it's been sitting bottled in a hot warehouse somewhere? Just because there's a picture of a snowy peak on the label......
    Water bottle molding doesn't use mold release. And I'm sure those snowy peaks are pictures of the actual source. Funny, when I lived by the mountains the water tasted like shit.

Tap water for me. I'm sure Grosse Pointe gets Detroit water.

I generally drink tap, but my 100 year old house has some galvanized pipes that I'm not sure about so I drink water from a gallon in the fridge most of the time at home.

Detroit has some of the best tap water in the country, IMHO. I have never been anywhere where the water tasted better right from the tap. On the other hand, I couldn't stand the water from the City of Chicago tap--eech.

I drink nothing but tap water.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I don't drink tap water either. You never know what people do to their faucets or what's coming out of their pipes...
    I have exactly the same opinion about bottled water. You can't trust where its been. I trust DWSD far more than Coca-Cola, and far more than anyone who tells me just how pure their plastic bottled water is.

Tap for me.
    I will say though that the water coming from my tap when I lived in Hamtramck was terrible. Nasty smelling and tasting, tan/brown in color some days. Gross.

Filtered for the coffee machine to prevent accumulating scale. Otherwise tap but chilled in recycled Gatorade bottles. I've heard that the chemicals that leech from the plastic eventually disappear if you use the same bottles over and over.

Detroit water is one of the things we take for granted around here. We should be more grateful for it, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Filtered for the coffee machine to prevent accumulating scale. Otherwise tap but chilled in recycled Gatorade bottles. I've heard that the chemicals that leech from the plastic eventually disappear if you use the same bottles over and over.

Detroit water is one of the things we take for granted around here. We should be more grateful for it, IMHO.
    Agreed. Been drinking tap my whole life and don't get the bottled water thing. Even fill a canteen in the morning and take it with me. Our water, compared to other places I've visited, seems clean and fresh. And cheap.

We are truly blessed.... scroll down to map....

http://www.almostafarmer.com/hard-water-and-soft-water/

Bottled water is an unnecessary waste of money. The markup on it is astronomical. Much of the bottled water on the market is just municipal tap water run through a cheap filter.

Our municipal water here pumped and treated at the Grosse Pointe Farms water treatment plant tastes just fine. No funny smells either.

I use the Brita filter pitcher.

Maybe he really wanted a Stroh's.

Walpole Island bottled water, anyone? [[Actually I haven't seen anything
    recent lately.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast