Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Packard Plant Update

I was driving home on 94 last week and noticed a cherry picker hovering above the Packard Plant. I couldn't tell what was going on. Anyone know what was up? I haven't seen a ton of updates on what's going on. Last I saw they were clearing debris and had shown some updated pics, but that was about it.

I took visitors by there a couple of weeks ago. There is private security stationed in the parking lot of the A&P [[former site of the Packard power house) and there are concrete barriers preventing traffic from going north on Concorde. Things were looking a little cleaner than before, although it was difficult to impress that fact on my visitors.

From the Packard Plant Project Facebook page...

"Timeline report: Everyone is asking where we are with the renovation, here is an update: First, kindly keep in mind this project will take 7-15 years to convert, we appreciate your patience as this is a very large and complicated project. Our first building slated for renovation? The former administrative building of the Packard Motor Car Co. 120,000 sq. feet, converted to office/commercial with a 2 year timeline. What has been done? Environmental assessments, architectural designs, business plan, construction documents, 700 yards of contaminated debris removed, 24 concrete columns removed, elevator shaft on the far north side of the plant reinforced. We are working diligently, stay tuned for more progress reports. Thank you for your continued support!"

https://www.facebook.com/packardplantproject?fref=nf

Other cool stuff from Facebook:

...we have 85% Detroit residents and companies working on this project. Our security team [[Sterling) is based in Detroit [[owner is from the eastside) and has 100% Detroit workers securing the site. The Director of Development lives in Detroit. Albert Kahn and Associates are based in Detroit, O'Brien has offices in Detroit, Qualified Environmental is based in Detroit and has an agreement with us to hire over 51% Detroit workers for the remediation. Benefitting the community is a priority to our development. As well as bringing in tenants that will support job creation and training for Detroiters as well.

Every few months I'll take some out of town visitors through there for a look, and things look a little different every time. First, the discarded boat that was blocking the street is gone, then the decrepit building at that same spot is knocked down, then the debris field from said building starts getting smaller, etc.
    Hard to imagine that some day that place will be cleaned up.

I know every square inch of the Packard from the tunnels to the rooftops and I just cant see how it could be redone. I respect Palazuelo for trying to make it work. Last I read he showed up at a news conference and said in broken English that he was broke. He had the decency to show up.
    Last edited by Django; April-13-15 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks to scrappers like you removing structure from the building.

That was Django driving the truck off the 4th story?

You can largely thank the city for the resulting rapid deterioration that took place after evicting any remaining tenants that were using parts of the campus.
    There is equal blame to go around, no sense in picking on a sole individual who actions are a byproduct of a systemic failure. This isn't the only plant that had urban explorers in and out, it just happens to be the biggest. Therefor the resulting mess is that much BIGGER. If the building were closed up it wouldn't be an issue.

Blame the former owner or former mayor if you would like. Detroit was stuck in Neutral for most of that period.
    Last edited by Dbest; April-14-15 at 10:42 AM.

At least something is being done. If you look at the pics on the FB page, it's clear that they have made some progress with the cleanup.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I know every square in of the Packard from the tunnels to the rooftops and I just cant see how it could be redone. I respect Palazuelo for trying to make it work. Last I read he showed up at a news conference and said in broken English that he was broke. He had the decency to show up.
    It's possible he's not the only one funding the renovation.

There's no telling who else he could have assisting him, assuming he's not BSing...

I heard he didn't buy all of the Packard, just parts of it [[?) and the whole surrounding neighborhood would need improving, not just one building, to become attractive. So, maybe 7-15 years is a realistic time-frame after all.

The Downtown buildings Palazuelo is eyeing have better [[quicker) potential, but they would cost a lot more than Packard did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    You can largely thank the city for the resulting rapid deterioration that took place after evicting any remaining tenants that were using parts of the campus.
    One tenant remained in there right up until the time that Palazuelo took ownership. I have no idea to whom he had been paying his rent all of that time.

The business, Chemical Process Industries, has since moved to Madison Heights.

Tuck pointing and securing on the elevator shaft. Actual repair work!

https://www.facebook.com/packardplan...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...t/keywords_top

what about that German guy who wants to open a techno music nightclub?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what about that German guy who wants to open a techno music nightclub?

That is the Fisher Body Plant

Display has purchased and is renovating Building 22 at the Packard Plant, for its new headquarters. WXYZ reports. The 255,000 square-foot building is separate from the section of the plant developer Fernando Palazuelo purchased last year.

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...t#.VTk0ESHBzGe

Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Display has purchased and is renovating Building 22 at the Packard Plant, for its new headquarters. WXYZ reports. The 255,000 square-foot building is separate from the section of the plant developer Fernando Palazuelo purchased last year.

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...t#.VTk0ESHBzGe

Interesting!
    Hopefully this re-use of Building 22 will help create momentum for Palazuelo's project. More coverage:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...roup/26267423/

In the News article but unrelated to the Packard Plant is this tantalizing nugget:

"Duggan also said that next week the city will announce it has found a new use for the former Southwestern High School building, which closed two years ago and has been thoroughly looted. Duggan didn't provide any more detail."
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-23-15 at 11:45 PM.

Groundbreaking is scheduled for May 16 on the renovation of the Administration Building.

The much-anticipated redevelopment of Detroit's old Packard Plant, long an emblem of the city's industrial glories and their subsequent fade, is set to begin next month with a groundbreaking on the first of four planned phases.
    The May 16 groundbreaking ceremony will be open to the public. It will take place outside a four-story building at the factory site that once housed the defunct automaker's administrative offices, said Kari Smith, director of development for Arte Express Detroit, the firm belonging to plant owner Fernando Palazuelo. Palazuelo, a developer who makes his home in Lima, Peru, will be on hand for the festivities.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...hab/101044112/

The German guy who wanted to open a new nightclub [[and artist residences) in New Center inside Fisher Body Plant 21 was Dimitri Hegemann. Last I heard, IIRC, he was looking for a building closer to Downtown, rather than the Fisher Plant.

Hegemann launched a very successful nightclub in Berlin called Tresor, and he seems to think that Berliners' fascination with Detroit could make his plan a go-er. Having said that, we haven't heard much of his plans for a new Detroit venue since 2014.

In regards to the Packard Plant, I think Palazuelo only purchased part of the plant, not the entire thing. Allan Hill probably still owns a part of it, although I haven't spoken to him for a couple of years.

It was not a continuous purchase,the city still owns parts in the middle,others other parts,others think they own parts.

The sad part is that it has always been a pay your money and take your chances seneraio,or what is referred to as a clusterpuck of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    The German guy who wanted to open a new nightclub [[and artist residences) in New Center inside Fisher Body Plant 21 was Dimitri Hegemann. Last I heard, IIRC, he was looking for a building closer to Downtown, rather than the Fisher Plant.

Hegemann launched a very successful nightclub in Berlin called Tresor, and he seems to think that Berliners' fascination with Detroit could make his plan a go-er. Having said that, we haven't heard much of his plans for a new Detroit venue since 2014.

In regards to the Packard Plant, I think Palazuelo only purchased part of the plant, not the entire thing. Allan Hill probably still owns a part of it, although I haven't spoken to him for a couple of years.
    As long as he doesn't turn da plant into a VW one. Can't stand the brand.

The groundbreaking really did take place. Nice that an actual Packard employee attended the ceremony.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/r...t-back-to-life