Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Greater Downtown Gyms

I'm moving downtown in the next couple weeks and am looking for a gym. I currently pay $35 a month at my suburban gym and would like to keep it at that rate [[or less). I honestly only really use the treadmill and sometimes row machine...so don't need all the bells and whistles.

I'm 28 so can generally stay at the rate a lot of gyms offer those under 30 years old. I checked out the Y - they are $52 a month. The Anytime Fitness is $42 a month, but I'd have to pay the $99 joiner's fee [[I'd get it waived at Y since I'm a current member at a different one). I've heard people mention Compuware Building, Wayne State, etc.

Nonetheless, any ideas out there? I would like to keep the gym somewhere within a few miles of downtown...convenience to a gym is what keeps you going. How much I'd love a Planet Fitness to show up...

i've been dying for a real gym downtown besides the Y as well.. there are rumors that a powerhouse gym might open a downtown or midtown location but not sure what's going on with that...

honestly besides the choices you mentioned there aren't many unfortunately that i know of? any help guys?

If you are an alumnus of Wayne State, you can purchase an annual membership to the Mort Harris Recreation and Fitness Center for $299, which comes out to $25 a month.

http://rfc.wayne.edu/membership/index.php

There is FITNESSWORKS, located within the Henry Ford Sports Medicine Building at the corner of Second Avenue and W. Grand Blvd, across from the Fisher Building, in the New Center

http://fitnessworksclub.com/membership/

There is a small gym in Corktown called True Body Fitness. There is also Detroit Tough in Corktown.

Interestingly, it looks like there is a large fitness facility being built in the first floor of the Book Cadillac hotel's parking garage. Just walk by and see what is being built - it looks pretty cool.

Fitnessworks is very nice but a bit pricey. Yes, I too wish there was a Planet Fitness closer. I belong to the one on the Dearborn border on Ford Rd. Detroit, sorta a drive. Downtown has parking problems so I would not be motivated unless member parking was provided.

I just renewed at my gym for $100 per year. The place is huge with a lot of machines. The owner keeps the price down by eliminating unnecessary frills like handball courts, basketball courts, equipment maintenance, janitorial services, employee paychecks........

Yikes! That's too cheap!

Whatever happened to the Anytime Fitness that would open downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Interestingly, it looks like there is a large fitness facility being built in the first floor of the Book Cadillac hotel's parking garage. Just walk by and see what is being built - it looks pretty cool.

It's a crossfit gym...... as someone in the medical field i can assure you this is not a real gym. it's a fad that hopefully sooner than later will fade away because of the damage it does to the joints and spine. but I digress, also 313wx the anytime is open it was mentioned in OP's post.. however that also isn't really a 'real' gym... there aren't any locker rooms in it, and members just get a key to the gym and can access it at anytime. however at this point that's definitely one of the better options downtown has to offer

My neighbor claims she get a free membership to the Y by belonging to a community choral group. Never checked it out.

Personally looking for a Tai Chi class.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yikes! That's too cheap!
    I have been going there for ten years. When I started, it was $275 a year. Every year the renewal has been cheaper. I just renewed for $100. The guy has been running the place into the ground, but he still has a huge gym with a lot of machines but fewer and fewer customers. The problem is, he and the people he hires all think Manual Labor is the President of Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Whatever happened to the Anytime Fitness that would open downtown?
    I'm pretty sure it is open. At Griswold and Lafayette.

http://www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/3...troit-MI-48226

Powerhouse at Woodward and Six mile is that price range, but it's a more hardcore gym so if you're only interested in cardio equipment it may not be what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I just renewed at my gym for $100 per year. The place is huge with a lot of machines. The owner keeps the price down by eliminating unnecessary frills like handball courts, basketball courts, equipment maintenance, janitorial services, employee paychecks........
    Where downtown is that gym?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Where downtown is that gym?
    I don't think it is downtown. IIRC, Hermod lives out of state.

Oh, I thought the OP was asking about gyms DOWNTOWN. Downtown DETROIT.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Oh, I thought the OP was asking about gyms DOWNTOWN. Downtown DETROIT.
    He was, but I was just amazed at aqll of the $35 to $50 a month figures flying around and thought that I would point out the fees at Pimp-n-Ho Fitness here in sunny Pimp-n-Ho Beach, Florida

i suggest you try any class-a office tower downtown. they will have a fitness club as a tenant amenity and they have open memberships...for a price. a decent gym with decent lockers/showers/equip and non-sketchy ppl that isn't crowded is going to run $50+/mo. you pay for the privilege of avoiding all that.

http://onedetroitcenter.pulsefitness...rporate-rates/

http://www.rencenfitness.com/

fyi - anytime may wave signing fee if you sign longer contract ie. 2 yrs
    Last edited by hybridy; April-14-15 at 11:12 PM.