Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Attack at Kroger

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/w...g-lot/32320960

Be vigilant when you get out of your car.

so brazen. on a saturday and early afternoon.

A friend told mine told me 3-4 weeks ago that there were some shady characters looking people over at the Kroger at Frazho and Gratiot. I wonder if this is the same guy/people. Same description.
    Last edited by 1953; April-13-15 at 08:55 AM.

Thieves and crooks are getting brazen, daylight or night, city or burb. They are counting on distracting you to run a scam or rely on your own self-distraction to make their move.

I am NOT blaming the victim here, but I some see women walking to their cars staring into their smart phones, fumbling with keys totally oblivious to their surroundings. I had key-less entry put on my car as an alarm package -- and take care to look around me, press to my alarm keyfob to dis-arm and unlock and get in car fast. It helps to be vigilant to not be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    so brazen. on a saturday and early afternoon.

Which part? Or the whole comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ wtf?

After living and doing business in the city for so long, It's second nature for me to be vigilant everywhere I go. But I realize that may not be the case for those who only know of life in the suburbs.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

^^^^^^^^ wtf?
    hahahahahaha

I don't think robbing people is good at all. But for whatever reasons a thief has for robbing someone, I hope they'd still have the decency to pass over things like wedding rings...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't think robbing people is good at all. But for whatever reasons a thief has for robbing someone, I hope they'd still have the decency to pass over things like wedding rings...
    A thief has no decency. And to hit that poor woman on the head. Oy gevalt! That is terrible. I hope that piece of human debris is caught and severely punished. This nonsense cannot be tolerated in decent communities.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; April-12-15 at 12:58 PM.

If any of you are about to be held up, just call Danny. He will respond and discuss the matter with the would-be robber and take him home to his mother.

The best part:

"The robber fled east to the Wendy's parking lot, where he got into a silver Cadillac..."

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    This nonsense cannot be tolerated in decent communities.
    This statement is beyond stupid. Are there communities where it should be tolerated?

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    This statement is beyond stupid. Are there communities where it should be tolerated?
    Did I say that it should be tolerated anywhere? Save your indignation.

In that same parking lot, half an hour before this post, I observed a young woman, cell phone stuck to her ear, loading her car as her three or four year old was running circles around their vehicle as traffic passed through the parking lane.
    This could have ended up worse than yesterday's attack.

Yes, the all might-tee distraction when misused: the mobile phone. I have just started to ignore calls when I am at crucial points like loading the car, etc. more when I am out. Often I find most of the calls are not urgent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, the all might-tee distraction when misused: the mobile phone. I have just started to ignore calls when I am at crucial points like loading the car, etc. more when I am out. Often I find most of the calls are not urgent.
    Phone or not, people need to be aware. A few of these robberies need to turn out badly for the thief and the shit will stop. Carry, people.

Yep. More women are choosing to carry. I just stopped letting the phone rule me. If not convenient or safe I just let the thing ring.

Phone or not, people need to be aware. A few of these robberies need to turn out badly for the thief and the shit will stop. Carry, people.
    A hardened criminal would rather die than go to jail. Packing heat only deters the petty thieves. You need visible police to deter most criminals.

Before I retired last summer, I would often take walks in the nearby neighborhoods after coming home from the afternoon shift. Never had a problem, but the friendly clerk at the 7/11 pointed out a few times certain streets to avoid, based on her conversations with local police. I decided to stick to one route, and wave at the officers when their patrols took them past me. I believe they were actually looking out for "the old guy", as their appearances seemed more frequent as time passed. Kudos to SCS police!
    I now take the walks at the nearby lakefront park, in the morning.
    Last edited by Bobl; April-12-15 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    A hardened criminal would rather die than go to jail. Packing heat only deters the petty thieves. You need visible police to deter most criminals.
    They wont do it again. Death would be a pretty good deterrent.

They wont do it again. Death would be a pretty good deterrent.
    But that also counts as a homicide and when it shows up in the crime statistics, people are going to see it as a declining or dangerous area and it'll negatively impact the area either way.

^^^ Yep. Such is the consequence of criminal behavior[[s) on a community. Your response to NOT be a victim is calculated as part of the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep, such is the consequence of criminal behavior[[s). The response to NOT be a victim is calculated as part of the crime.
    I would definitely rather keep my eyes open and avoid the situation in the first place.

Yes. That IS the first reasonable response: AVOID.

She was exiting her car as the thief got a jump on her. So unless she was getting out of the car, gun in hand with finger on the trigger, I don't see how she would have been able to use it. It's not like she had time to fumble through her purse for a pistol. A likely outcome would be the thief gets away with a ring AND a gun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast