Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Video "Detroit Wants You, New York Hipsters"

A little Friday afternoon amusement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbF6ybH4oU

I'm not sure whether they are poking fun at us or endorsing us...

Same thing will happen Detroit like everywhere else,neglected becomes cool then expensive and then toney.

That's exactly what Detroit needs, more unskilled, unemployed, starving artists.

Yeah, no thanks. That made me cringe.

It's called taking out the trash!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I'm not sure whether they are poking fun at us or endorsing us...
    Definitely mocking...

Detroit doesn't need any more cold-hearted, status quo hipsters edified mainly by their stoicism [[yet, they endorse art that whines about how the world is stepping on their hearts), cliquishness, and self-absorbed equanimity. That's why I like it when the "Southern" and Mid-west aspects kick in for us all-to be an option to any of that I experienced living out East. I do like when snarky satire from Spy magazine used to keep all of that in check.

Now, that's what we really need: someone or some institution with a developed sense of satire or healthy sense of skepticism to keep us aware and on our toes. Too bad Fifth Estate isn't as potent as it was, and Orbit isn't around anymore.

What exactly is a hipster?

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    A little Friday afternoon amusement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbF6ybH4oU

This is actually for real and I promote it. Who cares if hipsters come here? Do they bother you? Are they shoving their viewpoints down your throats? I welcome all who want to come here and keep making Detroit a better place to live. This is great promotion for a city trying to make a comeback. Why shun away people who actually want to make a difference?

Yeah, Hah! So often the narrative is that as a designer/ artist you need to leave the D, make it big elsewhere then maybe COME BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's exactly what Detroit needs, more unskilled, unemployed, starving artists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster..._subculture%29

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

In a Huffington Post article entitled "Who's a Hipster?", Julia Plevin argues that the "definition of 'hipster' remains opaque to anyone outside this self-proclaiming, highly-selective circle."[14] In Rob Horning's April 2009 article "The Death of the Hipster" in PopMatters, he states that the hipster might be the "embodiment of postmodernism as a spent force, revealing what happens when pastiche and irony exhaust themselves as aesthetics." In a New York Times editorial, Mark Greif states that the much-cited difficulty in analyzing the term stems from the fact that any attempt to do so provokes universal anxiety, since it "calls everyone's bluff".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-..._b_117383.html

Quote Originally Posted by FormerEastsider View Post
    What exactly is a hipster?

There was something off about it for sure. The D doesn't need a mercy endorsement any more than a mercy anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Definitely mocking...

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    This is actually for real and I promote it. Who cares if hipsters come here? Do they bother you? Are they shoving their viewpoints down your throats? I welcome all who want to come here and keep making Detroit a better place to live. This is great promotion for a city trying to make a comeback. Why shun away people who actually want to make a difference?
    And what kind of "difference" are unemployed arteests going to make? Besides increasing the volume of spray paint sales and vandalizing storefronts and highway signs? Is Detroit so barren of sold out art recruitment is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, Hah! So often the narrative is that as a designer/ artist you need to leave the D, make it big elsewhere then maybe COME BACK!
    Like so many other former Detroiters that made it big.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And what kind of "difference" are unemployed arteests going to make? Besides increasing the volume of spray paint sales and vandalizing storefronts and highway signs? Is Detroit so barren of sold out art recruitment is needed?
    You took the words right out of my mouth, Honky Tonk. It is way past tiresome and becoming nauseating hearing all of these young kids who think that they're "doing something' or "making the city better" with their presence. If you want to do something to make the city better go out and pick up trash from the streets, remove some of the voluminous God-awful graffiti [[or "street art" as the hipsters call it) that is a cancer in the city, clean up and mow the grass in a neighborhood park. Then they can claim that they "made a difference".

Growing an ironic beard", hanging out in the latest uber-trendy bar and eating "artisan" food while sipping "craft cocktails" does not a difference make.

Only difference these damn starvin' arteests gonna make is if they're hungry enough, they end up doin' the dishes at Slow's to pay for their meals. There.

Hah. I tend to hate any food that is considered 'partisan', I think. Maybe I've like some and did not know what I was consuming!

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    ...hanging out in the latest uber-trendy bar and eating "artisan" food while sipping "craft cocktails" does not a difference make.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-12-15 at 04:54 PM.

Growing an ironic beard", hanging out in the latest uber-trendy bar and eating "artisan" food while sipping "craft cocktails" does not a difference make.
    I think you meant "organic", not "artisan". You know, avoiding all those chemical laced foods your generation has bestowed on us. Who do think is supporting Whole Foods? I'm guessing Sy has never stepped foot in the store...

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    I think you meant "organic", not "artisan". You know, avoiding all those chemical laced foods your generation has bestowed on us. Who do think is supporting Whole Foods? I'm guessing Sy has never stepped foot in the store...
    I know very well what I meant. I do not need you to correct my words, thank you. But you are correct in that I likely will not set foot in that store. There are many grocery stores in my city selling quality food. I do not live in a food desert. Why should I drive all the way down into the inner city when I can buy quality fresh groceries a mile from my home? Nice try though. Shalom.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; April-12-15 at 04:22 PM.

I know very well what I meant. I do not need you to correct my words, thank you. But you are correct in that I likely will not set foot in that store. There are many grocery stores in my city selling quality food. I do not live in a food desert. Why should I drive all the way down into the inner city when I can buy quality fresh groceries a mile from my home? Nice try though. Shalom.
    I don't think you even know what artisan means old man... Nice try though....Do you not enjoy a homemade loaf of sourdough? Or have you ever tried a homemade pumpernickel? You can make one at home! Skip the Wonder bread at the store gramps. It's probably not a good idea to use terms or words that you dont know the meaning of. Nice try on the blast of "hipsters" though..haha

I don't think you even know what artisan means old man... Nice try though....Do you not enjoy a homemade loaf of sourdough? Or have you ever tried a homemade pumpernickel? You can make one at home! Skip the Wonder bread at the store gramps. It's probably not a good idea to use terms or words that you dont know the meaning of. Nice try on the blast of "hipsters" though..haha

Gramps?? Old man?? I am only 49 years old and my children are in their 20s and they have far better manners than you. Your disrespectful immature rant speaks for itself. I will leave it at that. Shalom.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; April-12-15 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Only difference these damn starvin' arteests gonna make is if they're hungry enough, they end up doin' the dishes at Slow's to pay for their meals. There.
    High paying jobs like that are reserved for those with Fine Arts degrees.

Your disrespectful immature rant speaks for itself. I will leave it at that. Shalom.
    You think you get to be condescending and not take any flack? Then to top it off, you use terms that you don't know the meaning of?

If "hipsters" exist then you would be the ultimate "un-hipster" i think. You are a kibitser ... You know Yiddish right?
    Last edited by Dbest; April-12-15 at 05:12 PM.

You think you can be condescending at not take any flack? Then to top it off, you use terms that you dont know the meaning of. If "hipsters" exist then you would be the ultimate "un-hipster" i think. You are the ultimate kibitser ... You know Yiddish right?
    Peace be upon you, young man. You have much to learn. I will pray for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast