Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Well, that was confusing. I question any of these so-called improvements that they claim are safer. I don't see how anything with a learning curve is safer at least in the short term.
    Some short-term pain is worth it if there's long-term gain.

Seems to me like this is a fine idea. Sure, give it a try. Be progressive. I'm sure there are places where this might really be a good solution. But don't think this solves every problem just because its new.

This sure seems better than those California intersections where you wait about 12 minutes for your turn to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Some short-term pain is worth it if there's long-term gain.

Seems to me like this is a fine idea. Sure, give it a try. Be progressive. I'm sure there are places where this might really be a good solution. But don't think this solves every problem just because its new.

This sure seems better than those California intersections where you wait about 12 minutes for your turn to go.
    I agree. And just because something is new doesn't mean it's better. There are many intersections in Metro Detroit that would NOT be candidates for roundabouts.

I'd like to see more Michigan-Left's used at very busy intersections to eliminate left hand turns and the thru-time lost due to left hand turns. For example, Rochester at Auburn and Rochester at Hamlin.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'd like to see more Michigan-Left's used at very busy intersections to eliminate left hand turns and the thru-time lost due to left hand turns. For example, Rochester at Auburn and Rochester at Hamlin.
    If you drive up Rochester Road, you'll notice that there is a pretty big right of way. I believe that's because the long term plan would be to have the entire stretch from Big Beaver to Avon be a boulevard road with Michigan lefts all the way through. Of course money prohibits that, so they've only done the first mile and a half or so to date.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    If you drive up Rochester Road, you'll notice that there is a pretty big right of way. I believe that's because the long term plan would be to have the entire stretch from Big Beaver to Avon be a boulevard road with Michigan lefts all the way through. Of course money prohibits that, so they've only done the first mile and a half or so to date.
    Yes, the ROW is pretty wide.

M-DOT [[who owns Rochester from M-59 to Teinken) has no plan of widening right now. There was a referencing to making it 6 lanes with a median in a old I-75 corridor document published in 2005, but nothing since.

I spoke with a Traffic Engineer for Rochester Hills, and he also indicated nothing on the horizon for now.

Recently Rochester was taken from 5 to 6 lanes with a median from Big Beaver [[16) to Wattles [[17).

Roundabouts are not new. They have been used for well over 75 years in Britain. They are applicable to way more intersections than you'd ever imagine. They are used on much busier highways there than they are here. They come in all sizes, as small as a trash can lid, all the way up to huge multiple linked roundabouts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_[[Swindon)

Roundabouts rule. We should be replacing most of our traffic lights and stop signs with them. They eliminate head on accidents, reduce the total number of accidents, Reduce the severity of accidents and increase intersection throughput, saving huge amounts of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I agree. And just because something is new doesn't mean it's better. There are many intersections in Metro Detroit that would NOT be candidates for roundabouts.

Another concern for me is pedestrian friendliness. Roundabouts at freeway entrances seen perfect such as at Maple/I-496[[aka23) in Ann Arbor. At busy urban intersections less optimal, as you have a need to 'stop' the vehicular traffic for peds. Ever try crossing the road at the Arch de Triomph roundabout? Don't. Use underpass.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Another concern for me is pedestrian friendliness. Roundabouts at freeway entrances seen perfect such as at Maple/I-496[[aka23) in Ann Arbor. At busy urban intersections less optimal, as you have a need to 'stop' the vehicular traffic for peds. Ever try crossing the road at the Arch de Triomph roundabout? Don't. Use underpass.
    It's important to remember that there's a difference between roundabouts and traffic circles. The Arch de Triomph is an example of a traffic circle. Name:  Traffic Circle vs. Roundabout -Letter.pub.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  76.3 KB

So what is Campus Martius? Seems like it has more characteristics of a roundabout, except that it has traffic lights. But that's one of my pet peeves. With so much pedestrian traffic wanting to go inside the "circle" to the park, why do they rarely have the traffic lights at Michigan, Monroe and Cadillac Square do anything but flash yellow? Most times, there isn't so much vehicular traffic that waiting for a light would cause backups, but pedestrians are left to fend for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    So what is Campus Martius? Seems like it has more characteristics of a roundabout, except that it has traffic lights. But that's one of my pet peeves. With so much pedestrian traffic wanting to go inside the "circle" to the park, why do they rarely have the traffic lights at Michigan, Monroe and Cadillac Square do anything but flash yellow? Most times, there isn't so much vehicular traffic that waiting for a light would cause backups, but pedestrians are left to fend for themselves.
    Campus Martius is a traffic circle. It has a large center island, there is no deflection at the entrances, signalization, vehicles in the center rotary do not automatically have right-of-way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2