#WSBoundTigers

#TwinsUglyBaseball [[neither are real)

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Surprised no one has posted this yet.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...roit/25536681/

#WSBoundTigers

#TwinsUglyBaseball [[neither are real)
    Wow. Very unprofessional.

The comment could have just been a misguided attempt at humor, but his reply to the criticism of his comment was even worse. Even his apology wasn't sincere, and included a backhanded insult.

I am really surprised at his handling of the criticism, which was far worse than the initial comment.

I am not much of a sports fan but the remarks were rude.

I wonder how many of Olympia Entertainment's jack-booted thugs were sent to "coerce" this response:

Bert Blyleven @BertBlyleven28 Follow I apologize for my comments: the city of Detroit. It is an exciting time here led by the Ilitch family.
    7:33 PM - 9 Apr 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I wonder how many of Olympia Entertainment's jack-booted thugs were sent to "coerce" this response:

Bert Blyleven @BertBlyleven28 Follow I apologize for my comments: the city of Detroit. It is an exciting time here led by the Ilitch family.
    My thought too. Somebody had to have bitch-slapped some sense into him although my guess is that it came straight from the top of the Twins management.

Aside from being simply rude, what really bugs me about idiots like this is that they are usually making the comments having never seen of which they speak. Blyleven takes the trip directly from the Townsend Hotel to the park and back and never drives through, let alone sets foot in, downtown. If he has any real impression, it is from 20 yrs. ago. He was pissed off because the team was stinking out the place for 2 days and now he had to sit through a 4 hour rain delay on getaway day.
    Blyleven has been known around MLB for years as the jerk who endlessly promoted himself for the Hall of Fame both in person and on Twins broadcasts.

Another shot at the "Hall of Infamy".

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

Yeah, there is a little bit of knowing where your bread is buttered, but the criticism probably came from the Twins front office. I can think of several reasons.

* The Twins stunk up the joint in there first two games, then did the same thing in the third game.

* You don't want your broadcast crew to overshadow your team.

* You still have to come back to Detroit for two series [[May and September). Fans can have long memories, if they want them.

What a clown. The guy obviously wouldn't know an art deco skyscraper from his asshole. And yeah, he probably gets shuttled in from a distant hotel and looks out at downtown saying 'I bet its scary/ugly.' Which is funny given that the view of downtown from behind home plate at CoPa is way prettier than Mpls from Target Field. And moreoever, though Mpls' neighborhoods are in impressive condition, it's downtown will put you to sleep and Downtown Detroit is basically cooler than either of the Twin Cities' downtown.

A Twins VP actually issued a statement critical of Mr. Blyleven while yesterday's game was ongoing. Thereafter, Mr. Blyleven issued his not so sincere apology. http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/299259681.html

He was known as a prickly asshole during his playing career. Folks like that rarely change. In his own head, he's surely the smartest guy in the room too.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    A Twins VP actually issued a statement critical of Mr. Blyleven while yesterday's game was ongoing. Thereafter, Mr. Blyleven issued his not so sincere apology. http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/299259681.html

He was known as a prickly asshole during his playing career. Folks like that rarely change. In his own head, he's surely the smartest guy in the room too.

I think you've got it all wrong. I'm sure he's a pretty nice guy. He's just lacking in social graces. lol