Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1000 Foot Water Slide Coming to Detroit this Summer - Fun or Controversial?

"Slide the City, a traveling water entertainment company from Utah, is bringing its enormous, two-lane water slide to southeast Michigan this summer, with plans to hit several major cities, including Detroit and Ann Arbor.

For a fee, riders can whiz through 1,000 feet of city streets on inner tubes or other flotation devices, which seems like a positively delightful way to take in our fine city.

Prices are on the steep side, clocking in at $15 for a single ride, $30 for three rides, and $50 for an unlimited pass. Depending on the package, inner tubes may also need to be rented."
    Source The MetroTimes

While it is a bit of a buzzkill, I have to agree somewhat with the awkward optics of this, in light of the on-going water shutoffs, as expressed by the MetroTime's Michael Jackman's editorial "Slipping and sliding into troubled waters"

...to bring a 1,000-foot, two-lane water slide to the streets of Detroit this summer, should have set off some alarm bells somewhere, dictating careful PR handling.

You see, Detroit is in the middle of a battle to halt water shut-offs to city residents who are behind on their bills. According to the Michigan ACLU, anywhere from 26,000-28,000 residential customers in Detroit could face water shut-offs starting in May. That would mean the city's poorest and hardest hit would face an action condemned by the United Nations.

It would be against this backdrop that free-spending folks would pay between $15 and $50 for the privilege of racing through the city on thousands of gallons of water.

Yes, the two issues are separate. It's really more a matter of poor timing than anything else. But, as they say these days, the optics are bad.

On the one hand it's an awkward in-your-face "Then let them eat cake" situation.

On the other hand, [[two-lane? That's smart.) how much of an advantage in a race would you gain by applying some hydrophobic substance to your inner tube?

This is fodder for a great political cartoon.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-09-15 at 09:09 PM.

Anyone who finds anything remotely controversial about this is an idiot. I don't know if I'll partake, since it's a bit pricey, but sounds like it could be fun. Will be interesting to see when/where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Anyone who finds anything remotely controversial about this is an idiot.
    I agree completely.

This is a traveling entertainment setup, which is similar to the traveling carnivals that come into town every year.

Claiming that the traveling water slide shouldn't come to Detroit because of water shutoffs is like saying that the traveling carnivals shouldn't bring their amusement park rides to Detroit because there is broken playground equipment in the city parks and schoolyards.

Anyone who finds anything remotely controversial about this is an idiot. I don't know if I'll partake, since it's a bit pricey, but sounds like it could be fun. Will be interesting to see when/where it is.
    I'm not focused so much on it being controversial, as way, way overblown.

There folks have done one heck of a national PR job with the implied promise of this thing "coming to your city!" They picked a bunch of cities nationally, and sent out the photo and press release in hopes of drumming up enough demand-- and a charity partner/client, and a specific venue-- in each targeted city to make the spot adequately profitable for them. Furthermore, the excitement level seems to suggest many readers think it's "coming," as in "to stay." Nope. For a single day, if it comes [[and works as anticipated) at all.

My reaction is that everyone should calm down, read more carefully, be a little less gullible ...

Here is a video of the giant slip'n'slide in action from last July on what, as far as I've been able to find, was apparently its only public appearance ever, on a conveniently inclined street, in the Salt Lake City hometown of its parent company. goo.gl/zh5QS5

Single slides go for $15, btw.

Another stupid distraction. Let's let this run 5 or 10 pages while ignoring the real important shit.

Before everybody gets all worked up into a breathless frenzy of online excitement about this; channel 2 news this morning reported that the city has not heard anything about this "event". Nobody from Slide the City has reached out to city officials about staging this thing. It looks like it won't be happening.

I find their approach rather disingenuous. They sent press releases all over the country as if this is really happening, when what is really going on is they are trying to get others to organize and further promote their events for them. The photo has crossed my FB feed probably 10 times, and each time there are plenty of people tagging others with "let's go" and "I'll be there!" Ummm. Really?

And Channel 2 News? They really have gotten the [[IMO gullible) locals to make some noise for them!

I agree.

The logic that a business cannot come into the city and put up a water slide because some people cannot prioritize or pay for their water bill is total and utter backwards thinking that will hold Detroit back.

On the other hand, an upcoming [[and repeatedly proven elsewhere) event where the presenters and the involved charities got together and did their own work has captured my imagination, though I've heard relatively little about it. Over The Edge has people rappelling down the the side of the First National Building on May 8, after they earn their spot by raising $1,000+ for the charities. Registration for that remains open until May 1. http://www.overtheedgedetroit.com//index.cfm

You can create a Mad Libs with the same reasoning with some other events that are happening this weekend.

The Shell Eco-marathon--closing roads, 1,000 students from around the world; however 30% of residents do not have access to an automobile and the region has inadequate public transit.

Art X Detroit--using public and private facilities, large spectrum of local artists; why participate in such frivolity when roughly 50,000 houses are currently being foreclosed [[and since when is Detroit only downtown, Eastern Market, and Midtown. Why not have some focus in the neighborhoods?)

/etc.

The difference is that the company will pay the costs to use the water, the people who are complaining didn't pay.

Precisely, and it's not like we're California and have a water scarcity issue.

Non-issue. My only question is where they heck will this go?

A two lane water slide. I like it. Who needs M1 Rail when we can float down Woodward.