Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Signs of a renaissance of Downriver

Here are several things that point to the fact that there is a major revival of the Downriver region, long neglected and ignored by many other Metro Detroiters.

New arrivals around Southland Center:

Menard's at the old Gibraltar Trade Center moves forward: http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...8069741215.txt

Redevelopment plans in Woodhaven: http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...c497863467.txt

Calder Dairy and Meijer set up shop in Flat Rock: http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...0406248853.txt

Is there anything I missed here?

Well you have the Cinemark Theater will be built next to Southland Mall and the new MJR Theater complex being built across the Mall where the old Star Theater used to be.

One of the things I always liked about Downriver was that it had less traffic than the other metro areas. It was easy to get around. Not so anymore.

Nice to see that other areas are seeing activity too!

Not to rain on your parade, but that hardly sounds like a turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    One of the things I always liked about Downriver was that it had less traffic than the other metro areas. It was easy to get around. Not so anymore.
    Since the speed limit was raised to 45 on Fort St. south of Southfield you can get around faster now...lol.

Not to be a negative nancy, but grimaldis was a famous brooklyn pizza place, a staple of the DUMBO neighborhood till they went broke. Someone unrelated bought the name and is now hyper-expanding but with not near the same quality of food. [[Have lived in dumbo since 1997 btw)

Downriver needs a renaissance of dentists. Im not saying so based on reputation or anything like that. I remember clearly being at a gas station at Coolidge and Jefferson or thereabouts trying to sell stuff talking to people in their 20s missing many/most of their teeth. This was new to me and im reasonably certain they weren't hockey players.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Downriver needs a renaissance of dentists. Im not saying so based on reputation or anything like that. I remember clearly being at a gas station at Coolidge and Jefferson or thereabouts trying to sell stuff talking to people in their 20s missing many/most of their teeth. This was new to me and im reasonably certain they weren't hockey players.
    You mean River Rouge? There is Downriver which unfortunately has to have that s**thole in it's midst.

Now Wyandotte, where I live, has the old Sears building being totally renovated. Three floors, one for residential condo, one for business and the third I am not sure of. Also, the last that I heard, a rooftop restaurant and dining area.
    Now that is some serious renovation and improvement.

Downriver needs a renaissance of dentists

Many dentists live on Grosse Ile. Many doctors and surgeons, too.