Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Recently Accomplished Personal Projects

With spring here, some of us are going to shake off the chill, pull ourselves up out of a slump, and finally get around to some long put-off projects. So, here's your chance to boast [[a little). Just briefly mention a recent accomplishment [[nothing indicating professional work), hobby, or household project you finished off recently. It can be a garden [[especially community installations), a huge banquet spread you pulled off, some car restoration, arts or crafts item, etc.

Please post pics if you got.

O.K. Normally, I like to cross stitch or look at quilt patterns, but lately I've been getting into crochet. I've been looking up various stitch techniques online, taking notes, ect. These items I was able to finish lately:

This pinecone that I ran out of the yarn I started with, but I finished it with similar stuff.
    Name:  003.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  36.5 KB

This hedgehog that I'm really proud of
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  43.3 KB

The most recent one I finished was this cute Easter present I jammed out for my grown son [[just a whim I though he'd like) after he showed me this cartoon called Rick & Morty that showed this character called Mr. MeeSeeks. It wasn't easy since the arms were so skinny, and I had to fit pipecleaners into them.
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  37.8 KB
    Here is the pattern for that last one, but the person who posted it wants to make it clear that the doll is only to be created for personal use and not for sale.
    http://www.ramenneedles.com/2014/04/...s-pattern.html

Very nice crochet. I have done it in the past. Could never master knitting.

Small accomplishment here I guess, but I backed up a hard drive a bit. Along with a flash drive. When this stuff goes south and you loose your precious data you wish you'd taken the time to do it. Great to do while watching an movie. Makes the time go by usefully!

Didn't think I had anything until you mentioned a hard drive...I had an external drive that chose to not mount one day. I have an adapter that is supposed to play any drive into a USB jack, but hadn't used it with SATA drives...only the older IDE ones. When I plugged in the power supply, the little circuit board on the drive actually smoked.

Later, I learned the power supply's 12v and 5v feeds were reversed...but also learned of a company in Canada that fixes the drive boards. [[or will sell you a replacement version if they have it in stock, they match the firmware with yours)

$50 for the board fix and $40 for the excellent ProSoft Engineering recovery software...and I've restored one of my backups that had some important stuff on it. When EVERY professional repair joint said it was roached...

Oh, and I restored an unbelievable pair of JBL studio monitors...purchased from a now-defunct famous production joint in Farmington Hills. They were junk, headed to the dumpster if they didn't sell at their garage sale after the official auction, and after many hours of sweatwork on the cabinet veneers and woofer foam-surrounds they are behind me now...playing WDET's Saturday morning broadcast. I intended on selling them, but they have been as rejuvenating to my hifi passion as I've been to them.

Same with the a/d/s/ monitors in our television room...now that I think of it...my favorite speakers are all twenty-five to thirty years old. Vintage hifi rules.

And I cleaned my car interior the other day...the maintenance equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest. Twice since I've gotten into it and thought I was in the wrong vehicle.

Cheers!

Used to be back in the day, just defragging a 'puter took a while to complete.

Yes, vintage audio equipment is awesome. I liked when most stereo systems came in components, not this lump some cheap piece of crud that's worth nothing once the C.D. player stops working or the radio frazzes out. Glad a lot of people are still interested in vinyl. It's getting harder and harder to go to functions where the D.J. plays vinyl.

Oh, by the way, folks, feel free to make mention of any performances or functions you had to take part in that makes for an interesting footnote of achievement.

Did some suspension work on my old car. Woke up the Harley and set off a few car alarms

^^^ Got an extra minute or two to install two front strut assemblies on my car? ......

Hah, I have an increasing grave yard of IDE and SATA drives laying about and let's not even mention cleaning out the car? One weekend at a time to fit it all in!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Didn't think I had anything until you mentioned a hard drive...I had an external drive that chose to not mount one day. I have an adapter that is supposed to play any drive into a USB jack, but hadn't used it with SATA drives...only the older IDE ones. When I plugged in the power supply, the little circuit board on the drive actually smoked.

You're brave. I used to defrag my older laptop but now I'm too afraid to do so... it might start smoking out the back end! ...... back up, back up must do more of that!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Used to be back in the day, just defragging a 'puter took a while to complete.

It is not a good day unless you set off a few car alarms. Had great fun with our old muffler challenged Chevy S-10 long bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Got an extra minute or two to install two front strut assemblies on my car? ......
    I've done a few struts. Piece of cake with the right tools. My expertise is much older stuff. I like working on vehicles with soul. ​Even the Harley is too modern...

I have the whole kit for both [[struts, springs pre-compressed, and shock towers mounts all in ones) but not a job that can be done crawling under the car IMO as one person tried to convince me.

The car needs to go up in the air and will need an alignment afterwards.... I need a recommendation... will hit you on PM if the work cannot be done as needed with tech. I am currently talking to.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-12-15 at 07:52 PM.

I have the whole kit for both [[struts, springs pre-compressed, and shock towers mounts all in ones) but not a job that can be done crawling under the car IMO as one person tried to convince me.

The car needs to go up in the air and will need an alignment afterwards.... I need a recommendation... will hit you on PM if the work cannot be done as needed with tech. I am currently talking to.
    Check out Pizzouli Muffler, Warren & Chase in Dearborn. They do good work at reasonable prices.

Took the pumpkins off the front porch, and am starting to take the decorations off the Christmas tree.

Thanks for the lead HT. I know the area will check out.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Took the pumpkins off the front porch, and am starting to take the decorations off the Christmas tree.
    WHY????? Christmas is just around the corner!

Thanks for the lead HT. I know the area will check out.
    A couple of tips: TT Chris, you might have to do some prodding, he's old and cranky, , pay with cash. They do do good work.

Belle Tire did good work on my all wheel drive but expensive and appointments just mean you bring it in and wait. The key to making these newer cars last is avoiding the worst paved roads. Suspension parts wear a lot more quickly on dirt roads too.