Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Belle Isle Grand Prix 2015

I was at Belle Isle today and was amazed at the work that goes into setting up for the Grand Prix. I understand it takes two months to install all of the structures and barriers. I did a cursory internet search looking for some more detail on the costs and benefits of this event, but found little. Can anyone here tell me more?

I wonder what the costs are to re-do the roadwork the state did at the north-western side...it appears Penske didn't like the new surface and the whole road is torn away to dirt.

I've searched and found nothing to answer your question, Ex.

If we include the intangible costs of holding the western quarter of the island hostage for a quarter of the year...I don't see how they could balance enough benefits...

I just don't understand why it takes so long to set everything up and take it down. It seems like they should be able to do it in a couple weeks on either end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_man View Post
    I just don't understand why it takes so long to set everything up and take it down. It seems like they should be able to do it in a couple weeks on either end.
    You obviously haven't seen all the stuff they set up for the grand prix. There is no way you could put all that stuff up in a couple of weeks.

I guess I have become a grumpy old man. For years, I looked forward to taking a day off work to attend Free Prix Day, and conversation at the original Honest John's.
    Now, I ask "why not someplace else?"
    The island is more beautiful without the race than with it.

I am not a race fan, but I can deal with the race on the island. I am trying to look at the bigger picture and I do think the race day telecast is a big plus for the city and the area.

I have noticed that they do a nice job of post-race cleanup. I hate the sea of concrete that is the paddock area and I wish they would place about 20 big planters with tree in them when they are done.

I really want to get a Grand Prix poster. Here is the winner, it's such a retro/nostalgic design...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mo...ster/25908829/

I must make a correction...I took a short walk this morning to see how extensive the roadwork is on the Isle, and they are NOT replacing the work done last year. It seems they are doing the last bit of rebuilding just before the pit area.

No one remembers the bitching we all did when they held downtown hostage? Could not drive, could not walk, could not park without special privileges. Could not watch the CBS feed unless you could pull the signal from Toledo. Not fond of the race on Belle Isle. Chews up too much construction time for a 3-day ticketted event. But it sure does show the City off in a pretty light.

Indy Cars ain't Formula 1 although the drivers seem interchangeable and do not get dizzy going around in circles.

On the other hand, like the Gold Cup races, with those mosquito quiet engines, the noise level will not be so bad. Did not quite get the blood to pulsating level the last couple of years.

May pony up for a poster this year after a few years hiatus of non-purchases. Have to enjoy the oddness of an event winner never having attended the event she is extolling. She needs a 3-day free pass, a decent room, a chauffered limousine, a river runner and all the food and drink her crew can handle. At least, that is what I would ask for.