Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Opening Day is Here - the 2015 Detroit Tigers

I love this date. Spring is here and months of warm weather and outdoor activity coming. Downtown will be buzzing and it is just an overall cheerful and hopeful time.

Anybody have any plans for the day or going to be downtown? Pop into DetroitYES [AtDetroit] HQ in the Michigan Building for our informal opening day festivities.

Any predictions for our Tigers? Will they finally win it all or are they headed for decline.

Update... Parking lost are filled 11:00 AM Scoreboard Flashing...

For those who like 'expert opinion' Vegas has the over/under line for the Tigs at 84 wins.

I've always found Vegas very well informed as to sports, as that is the job to set good lines which they hope will attract equal amounts bet on each side, e.g., 50% bet on the Tigs' over [[84) and 50% bet on the under.

If they set a silly line, e.g., Tigs over/under 89, no one would take the over.

I assume their 'methods' are to look at last year's team as the baseline and determine if the team is better, the same, or worse with some consideration to the current status of other teams within the [[Central) division.

I was in Vegas for March Madness and took the Tigs over [[84).

Tigs were 2 : 1 to win the AL Central. The Central is pretty much wide open as a 2 : 1 line would indicate.

Over 90 wins, 5th straight division title. They'll acquire Kimbrel as closer from the Padres in July and march to win the World Series with, finally, a shored up bullpen.

White Sox will just miss a wildcard with 85 wins, KC will be .500, Minnesota just below, and Cleveland well below [[they are the most overrated going in). The division will be stronger than its collective record indicates.

Go Tigers and happy holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Over 90 wins, 5th straight division title. They'll acquire Kimbrel as closer from the Padres in July and march to win the World Series with, finally, a shored up bullpen.

White Sox will just miss a wildcard with 85 wins, KC will be .500, Minnesota just below, and Cleveland well below [[they are the most overrated going in). The division will be stronger than its collective record indicates.

Go Tigers and happy holidays.
    Yep, the interesting thing about MLB is that something can happen in July to 'change the needle'.

A team 'one player away' can go out and 'mortgage the future' for the current season...

If the 'pen is the problem, one move 'might' solve it... [[let's hope so, anyway).

If they acquire a closer, they go far.

Last week the Vegas line was 22-1 for the Tigers to win the World Series. This week it's dropped to 18-1. Danged if I know what occasioned the change. Anyway, it's going to be a ding-dong, drag out fight in the division this year. Minnesota, Chicago, and Cleveland are all improved, while the Tigers are a bit weaker with Scherzer gone. I call it a toss up.

Downtown was off the hook @ 8o am this morning. I noticed many bbq’s being setup and parking was at a premium. One lot was charging $50.00, one was $40.00 and the Olympia lots were $20.00. Gridlock on Cass for several blocks – go Tigers.

just got here and couldn't find parking within 3 blocks of the stadium, ridiculous!

- Dave from windsor

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    just got here and couldn't find parking within 3 blocks of the stadium, ridiculous!

- Dave from windsor
    I've never been to a Tigers' Opening Day [[been to two? at Nats Park) so I can't speak to the 'party' atmosphere and the fans who come to party and not enter the stadium [[even though 42K+ will).

That said, my question is what will it be like for 40K, not opening day, for a weekday game?

I've been harping on the M-1 work and removal of surface parking at Woodward/Fisher...

I hope the entire 2015 season won't be a traffic/parking mess...
    Last edited by emu steve; April-06-15 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

- Dave from windsor
    All the LOLs to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    All the LOLs to this.
    Did it go right over my head? Oh, my.

It's a jab at a forumer who has had some obnoxious episodes on other threads complaining about an alleged parking crisis in downtown Detroit [[something only he can perceive).

We looked great today. Cespedes is looking like the full multi-tool player that we haven't seen at that caliber in my memory.

Not a huge sports fan. Did all of City government close because its opening Day?

Some idiot knocked down a stop sign. Not one department answered phones. All voice mail. Tried to be civic minded but what the heck. Someone dies, it's on them.

My work shift ends at 4:30pm, so I exercised my option NOT to work downtown today! 1pm start times make it difficult.

If I would have known about a DYES event, I would have drove in!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    My work shift ends at 4:30pm, so I exercised my option NOT to work downtown today! 1pm start times make it difficult.

If I would have known about a DYES event, I would have drove in!
    No blame, I don't attend church on Sundays in football season. I know people like tail gating and all, which is fine. The mess of traffic just isn't worth it. I like my life simple, just attend a few churches closer to home those days.

In the interest of Detroit Yes. Go Tigers!

Kirk Gibson was just awful in the booth. And we don't need Morris either. Rod Allen and Mario are just fine as is.