Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good sandwich rolls?

I'm originally from New Jersey, and there you can go into any supermarket and find Kaiser and Hoagie rolls that have good crusts and plenty of chew on the inside. Here, everything I've found has the texture of a hamburg or hot dog roll, and won't stand up to a fried fish sandwich, an Italian sub, or a juicy burger. Can anyone recommend rolls that have the density to withstand absorbing some fat/juices without falling to pieces? I'm willing to travel to find the object of my desire.

While I'm on the subject of baked goods, can anyone recommend a bakery that still sells danish? I realize that Dunkin, Tims, and KK put the local bakeries out of business, but is there a local bakery that makes breakfast items?

Try Bommarito's in st Clair shores. Best bread and rolls around.

The supermarket ones are awful but if they have a bakery department, you might score "ok" ones. Bommarito's is good and also Tringali's at 12 and Schoehneer. Randazzo's Fruit Market on 16 and Garfield are pretty decent too.

Sounds like you know how to make a double-yummy sandwich! I had the driest, most horrid thing pretending to be corned beef sandwich recently. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Can anyone recommend rolls that have the density to withstand absorbing some fat/juices without falling to pieces?

Trader Joe's has par-baked [[partially baked) rolls that need about 10 minutes in a hot oven and they are perfect for sandwiches. They are in the bread dept. and come in 2 sizes. I buy the small ones [[6 for $1.99) and they keep in the fridge for a couple weeks - which is past the "use by" date but still good. My husband is from NJ and he loves these.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sounds like you know how to make a double-yummy sandwich! I had the driest, most horrid thing pretending to be corned beef sandwich recently. Ugh.
    I try. Rye from Knickerbocker Baking in Madison Heights [[available at Hiller's) works great for my reubens and other grilled sandwiches, but their rolls have to be crisped up in the oven and still don't have the right texture inside. BTW, they also make awesome raisin and cherry-walnut breads for breakfast.

Thanks, folks, you've helped a lot. I figure having an Italian name is half the battle for finding tolerable breads and rolls, and these all pass that test. I've bookmarked the pages for future reference.

BTW, it's a good thing i'm willing to drive to find what i want, since I live near Telegraph and Lone Pine!

I'm not really a roll connoisseur but when I'm in the mood for one, I go to Honeybee. They sell bocadillos in a few different sizes. In the back, on the bread table by the deli counter, in a clear plastic box.

Thanks. There's a TJs about a mile and a half from me, so I'll have to try these.

Looking at the website for Bommarito's, they might be my source for danish as well. A twofer!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward22 View Post
    Trader Joe's has par-baked [[partially baked) rolls that need about 10 minutes in a hot oven and they are perfect for sandwiches. They are in the bread dept. and come in 2 sizes. I buy the small ones [[6 for $1.99) and they keep in the fridge for a couple weeks - which is past the "use by" date but still good. My husband is from NJ and he loves these.
    I like bread a lot, those half baked Trader Joes loaves are good but they always come out a little to crispy on the outside.

Cantoro's on Hagerty and 5 Mile have the best hard rolls around. Better then Jersey Mike's.

Bartz bakery on Telegraph Rd. [[between Cherry Hill & Ford) is okay; if anything, they got a floor freezer filled with various breakfast breads [[zucchini, lemon/poppyseed, pineapple, etc.). Bolillos are fresh and durable at Mexican Bakery on Bagley [[right next to Armando's) in Mexicantown and are great for French dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Cantoro's on Hagerty and 5 Mile have the best hard rolls around. Better then Jersey Mike's.
    Go to the original Cantoros at 7.5 mile and Middlebelt.

I am drawing a blank about Avalon and whether they do rolls/small loafs. They might.

When I was in NJ, my favorite things were the various Portuguese rolls best found in Newark. I got really bread spoiled there.

I am fussy about rolls also. DiMaggio's on Six Mile west of Beech Daly makes great rolls. They might be a little on the small side, but so good! Same ones they serve at Scotty Simpson's. Zeman's on Greenfield north of Ten Mile in Oak Park makes great rolls also, challah and onion and sometimes kaiser with the poppy seeds.

On The Rise Bakery has great rolls on Gratiot and Milanos in Eastern Market on Russel for danish. Their cannolis to die for.

Strangely Aldis has an interesting bread assortment.
    Last edited by sumas; April-06-15 at 06:14 AM.

Personally on a mission to find black Russian bread. Anyone know a source?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Personally on a mission to find black Russian bread. Anyone know a source?
    Russians in Metro Detroit tend to be Jewish, and tend to live in the traditional Jewish areas. There's a place called New York International, with one location in West Bloomfield, and the other in Southfield, that would have Russian products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Russians in Metro Detroit tend to be Jewish, and tend to live in the traditional Jewish areas. There's a place called New York International, with one location in West Bloomfield, and the other in Southfield, that would have Russian products.
    Thank you I'll give them a shout. Raised Christian but my blood lines are Welsh and Russian Jewish.

On the other hand the "Shakers", said, "the blacker the bread, the longer you live". Having done home hospice for loved ones a few too many times, I figured I didn't want to live too long. My kids have annoyed me so lately, thinking I'll stick around to make them miserable.

I love Danish and Milano Bakery on Mack and Russell have the best Danish I have eaten. They are about the size of a frisbee. My favorite is cheese. They also have apple, pineapple, cherry/cheese, and cherry. They've probably added some new flavors since I left Michigan three years ago. For about $3.00 you can get a coffee and a Danish [[unless the price has gone up since I was last there). I have never had the bread but there's plenty there.
    Last edited by FormerEastsider; April-06-15 at 08:27 PM.

On Greenfield north of Ten Mile there are three stores that have Russian offerings. Gold International Bakery has wonderful bread but not black bread. The New York International is next door, not sure about their bread. Just across the driveway from Gold is the One Stop Kosher Market, which does have a bakery. A lot of Russian clientele, many from Bielorusse. You could also try Zieman's, just across Greenfield. For sure you will find the black bread at one of these places. Husband won't eat it so I never look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I am drawing a blank about Avalon and whether they do rolls/small loafs. They might.

When I was in NJ, my favorite things were the various Portuguese rolls best found in Newark. I got really bread spoiled there.
    There is or was a Portuguese bakery in London, ON

http://www.italiabakerywindsor.com/ On Erie street in Windsor. The best bread and rolls, take a trip and fill up your trunk............

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    On The Rise Bakery has great rolls on Gratiot and Milanos in Eastern Market on Russel for danish. Their cannolis to die for.

Strangely Aldis has an interesting bread assortment.
    I'm trying not to eat any sweets of any kind but On The Rise has the best oatmeal cookies I've ever had.

They may have just recently closed within the past few months [[per an online review), but if you're looking for more good places in the city, there is Sunnyside Bakery on 6 Mile and Davison.

There's also the Nortown Bakery on 7 Mile and Van Dyke, which I know for sure is still open.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast