Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

I wonder once M-1 is finished if more convention folks will stay 'further out' by Comerica/arena, entertainment district and simply M-1 to Cobo?

I see that happening more and more folks stay out there for sports.

If Ilitches have a reasonably priced hotel at Fisher/Woodward will a lot of Tiger visitors stay say Saturday night and take in a Saturday night/Sunday day baseball game and leave town Sunday evening?
    Last edited by emu steve; April-05-15 at 06:38 AM.

If the Illitchdevelopment comes to pass, I could imagine a large Hilton being put up there. Starwood has their westin, Marriott has the ren can. I could Imagine Hilton wanting to put their flagship in the city.

Sure it's possible someone may want to put a W or a Sheraton there. Maybe a JW Marriott or Riz Carlton, but I think they are a bit unlikely. Plus, with Hilton only having a DT with 200 rooms and an HGI [[not full service hotel exactly), they may view the market as underserved.

I know now lots of people like boutique hotels. Personally I do not. I much prefer the benefits of consistency and loyalty brought via a Nationally Recognized hotelier.
    Last edited by Detroit500; April-05-15 at 02:38 PM.

it's great that the hotel industry is booming downtown... it will definitely attract more major events to the area knowing that the city has multiple lodging options within walking distance.

also interesting to see that the Foundation hotel [[the planned detroit firehouse hotel by cobo) could begin renovation within 90 days.. good to hear that.. hadn't heard anything about it in a while glad to see it didn't fall through

The hotel industry downtown is booming so much that I couldn't find an affordable room downtown during my last visit. A room in the Hilton Garden Inn I got in August 2011 for $55 couldn't be had for less than $170 in July 2014. I had to stay up in New Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    The hotel industry downtown is booming so much that I couldn't find an affordable room downtown during my last visit. A room in the Hilton Garden Inn I got in August 2011 for $55 couldn't be had for less than $170 in July 2014. I had to stay up in New Center.
    Quite an observation and especially for the [[Detroit) naysayers.

There are certain data which seem to really, really show the vitality of a city and lodging occupancy and price per room are data which usually do not lie.

What I liked in the article is pointing out the need for MORE downtown lodging for conventions so folks can stay downtown [[and not have to go to the burbs).

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I wonder once M-1 is finished if more convention folks will stay 'further out' by Comerica/arena, entertainment district and simply M-1 to Cobo?

I see that happening more and more folks stay out there for sports.

If Ilitches have a reasonably priced hotel at Fisher/Woodward will a lot of Tiger visitors stay say Saturday night and take in a Saturday night/Sunday day baseball game and leave town Sunday evening?
    They already are. When people travel for baseball games, they often double down and take in more than one game of a series simply because you get more for your investment. The resurgence of the downtown is already bringing in more fans who will get a room and spend the night because there are more options. This trend will only continue and multiply.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    They already are. When people travel for baseball games, they often double down and take in more than one game of a series simply because you get more for your investment. The resurgence of the downtown is already bringing in more fans who will get a room and spend the night because there are more options. This trend will only continue and multiply.

Agree. My wording could have been better as I understand folks do it [[actually, I have come to Detroit for a baseball weekend myself).

My main point is that folks will stay closer to Comerica and if the 'right' hotel is built at Woodward/Fisher that will continue the trend.

Folks are looking for the 'right' lodging: Not four star, but reasonably priced, family friendly, convenient to Comerica, etc.

Give the Corktown Inn [[soon to be the Trumbul/Porter Inn) a chance - don't rely on the old
    reviews from the previous owner[[s). It is open during all the renovations and it is in Corktown and there are shuttles to the ball games from nearby bars/restaurants.