Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Will Downtown Be a Mess Monday for the Tigers' Opener?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...uide/25235335/

I was in town a month ago [[when it was bitter cold) and drove through the area [[actually pretty much the M-1 Woodward route).

Will Woodward [[and environs) be a royal mess Monday?

I had no trouble navigating Woodward a month ago but quite frankly there weren't many cars around... or should I say, BECAUSE there weren't many cars around.

Monday will be different, I'd think...

BTW, I haven't been to Milwaukee in decades, but I flew over it. I saw Miller Park - a baseball stadium in a sea of parking.

Now that is butt ugly. Detroit will get nicer as some of the surface parking becomes re-purposed [[if that is a word) as part of the arena district plans.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-03-15 at 03:52 PM.

More reason to walk instead of being stuck inside a car.

I'm usually downtown only a few times a year [[mostly for, guess, sporting events) but I've always found that Comerica and Ford Field handle traffic really, really well.

Folks seem to find many different routes to leave the area.

I was at a Maryland basketball game [[College Park, Md) in January [[vs. MSU) and it was the exact OPPOSITE. Few routes away from the arena. Me and my car had a good chance to spend a lot of time together doing nothing but sitting and idling...

Usually every vacant lot up at least as far as Temple gets turned into parking/tailgating lots on opening day. I'd guess that with the arena occupying a lot of what used to be tailgating lots + a clear forecast, the mess will extend even further.

Rent/borrow/buy a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Usually every vacant lot up at least as far as Temple gets turned into parking/tailgating lots on opening day. I'd guess that with the arena occupying a lot of what used to be tailgating lots + a clear forecast, the mess will extend even further.

Rent/borrow/buy a bike.
    I hope the Ilitch folks are looking [[won't help Monday or this season) at maybe putting up a garage at W Montcalm and the Fisher at Clifford.

I've been saying here for some time, losing all of that surface parking at the arena site will really be a problem. Those spaces will need to be made up somewhere else. I assume the spaces at the arena VIP parking deck won't be any help even in 2017.

Tigers' fans have two or three years of possibly bad parking problems, at least west of Woodward.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-03-15 at 07:26 PM.

This article frames it very well:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...gers/25262899/

With parking hard to find near Comerica Park and parking on the south end of Cass Corridor on Woodward Ave and I-[[375) close for good for the construction of the new Red Wings Area, you might as well have these options. Leave very early to find a closest parking area near Comerica Park in which you will not leave Gilberttown Detroit until 8:00pm. Park in some blighted areas in Brush Park and near Cass Park. Chances are you car might get stolen, getting jacked by some black males wearing Trayvon Martins, or your car windows being smashed and your personal items are gone. Or take the D-DOT or SMART busses in which you might have to deal with roudy and stinky patrons, lolly-gagging bus drivers.

Or park your car at some very secure spot in Corktown, pay up to 20 to 100 dollars from Nemo's Restuarant and bus shuttle. Its shuttle will take you to the Comerica Park. But you may end up waiting for a while until the traffic clears before Nemo's buses can load you Tiger patrons on be on their way out.
    Last edited by Danny; April-04-15 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    With parking hard to find near Comerica Park and parking on the south end of Cass Corridor on Woodward Ave and I-[[375) close for good for the construction of the new Red Wings Area, you might as well have these options. Leave very early to find a closest park area near Comerica Park in which you will leave Gilberttown Detroit until 8:00pm. Park in some blighted areas in Brush Park and near Cass Park. Chances are you car might get stolen, getting jacked by some black males wearing Trayvon Martins, or your car windows being smashed and your personal items are gone. Or take the D-DOT or SMART busses in which you might have to deal with roudy and stinky patrons, lolly-gagging bus drivers.

Or park your car at some very secure spot in Corktown, pay up to 20 to 100 dollars from Nemo's Restuarant and bus shuttle. And its shuttle will take you to the Comerica Park. But you may end up waiting for a while until the traffic clears before Nemo's buses can load you Tiger's patrons on be on their way out.
    Sounds like this is a ringing endorsement for watching the game on Fox Sports Detroit in suburbia. Right? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Sounds like this is a ringing endorsement for watching the game on Fox Sports Detroit in suburbia. Right? Lol.
    Of course, But still come on down to Opening Day. Some restaurants near the Comerica Park wants your support and $$$$$$$$$!!!

All I can say from my trip to Detroit a month ago, I would not do what I normally do:

Take Woodward southbound toward the surface parking at the arena site [[that path would be a total no go).

Maybe take Michigan Ave. to the surface lots West of the Fox and hope for the best.

park and tailgate at eastern market. treat it like a lions football game.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    park and tailgate at eastern market. treat it like a lions football game.

Wow, why didn't I think of that.

Downtown is always a mess on game day, especially when the games let out in time for rush hour and during the first of the month

All of the streets are gridlocked out of downtown, whereas on normal day they're relatively empty.

The big city actually feels and looks like a big city should.

Warning to all your business people coming and going to Gilberttown Detroit by car, track, van or RV on Opening Day:

1. Don't go northbound and any freeways from 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

2. Don't go southbound on any freeways from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.

3. Don't take Woodward Ave. either northbound or southbound all day.

4. Don't take either eastbound or westbound I-94 FWY all day! You will be stuck in traffic at least one hour.

5. Take either E. Jefferson Ave, Grand River Ave, Gratiot Ave. either northbound or southbound and detour to any freeway from there. It's quicker! Don't get lost at blighted ghetto hoods!

P.S. don't stop at any Detroit gas station and liquor store on the way to your destination. If you have to stop anywhere in the Detroit ghetto for emergencies, have a partner with you and some protection. By the way lock you doors! Crazy folks wearing Trayvon Martins are out looking for trouble! Please be candor to all homeless folks holding signs in freeway bridges. Give them some money [[ at least a dollar ) and tell them God bless you.
    Last edited by Danny; April-04-15 at 12:53 PM.

There are so many wide access points in and out of downtown that no one should unwillingly get stuck in bad traffic after a game.

Advice for this game and all sell-out games this summer [[there are always many, and frankly they might offer worse post-game traffic because post-opening day you may see more people hanging out downtown in the evening and thus a more staggered outflow): park near your outlet point, and by all means don't point too close to the stadium. If you make Madison Ave. or Woodward @ Adams your outlet point, you will rightfully get slowed up going home. If you walk a little bit, you'll be fine. For example, if you live on the east side/GP/SCS, park near Randolph/Brush @ E. Lafayette. You'll be able to hop straight onto Larned or Jefferson to go home. Also for eastsiders, park on Gratiot or near Eastern Market-- they'll be no issues heading NE on Gratiot. SW side/downriver, park at Cobo or at a lot in the financial district, or even the west end of Grand Circus Park. I'd probably recommend the eastern Market area for Oakland county folks too. You can get on 75 at Mack approaching from the east, via Russell Street, rather than trudge through the usual gridlock to get onto 75 from the opposite direction. Or just park where I suggested the GP'ers park and then get on 75 via Jefferson without having to wait.