Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Artificial turf coming to old Tiger Stadium?

The Detroit Police Athletic League is planning to build its new headquarters on the site of old Tiger Stadium.

PAL's a great organization doing great things for Detroit's kids, so this sounds like a pretty good deal, considering where we've been in the whole Tiger Stadium saga.

Today, the only remnants of the old ballpark are the flagpole in center field and the grass on the field. But now PAL wants to tear up the natural grass and put in artificial turf.

Good idea?
    Or not so much?

Uhhhh...no..

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Uhhhh...no..
    Elaborate please....

Artificial turf is just very ugly. Natural Tiger Stadium grass is fine by me.

My number one pet peeve. Why does everyone, including the media, refer to it as "old" Tiger Stadium? There has always only been one Tiger Stadium.

Good point, Don.

The problem is that too many members of the media [[both locally and nationally), after 15 years, still erroneously refer to Comerica Park as "Tiger Stadium."

Thus the need to differentiate.
    Even though technically there is no "old" Tiger Stadium.

Of course, there's no "new" Tiger Stadium either.

Unless, of course, you're talking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    My number one pet peeve. Why does everyone, including the media, refer to it as "old" Tiger Stadium? There has always only been one Tiger Stadium.
    I agree 1000%.

I don't hear the CoPa referred to as Tiger Stadium very much anymore. But when one says "Old Tiger Stadium" it gives the impression there is a "new" Tiger Stadium. That place they play at now is no stadium -- it's only a park.

To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, I knew Tiger Stadium. Tiger Stadium was a friend of mine. Comerica Park, you're no Tiger Stadium.

Without a full-time grounds crew, and subsequent funding for it, there's no way that natural grass would withstand all the activities that PAL has planned for the site. Baseball, football, soccer...maybe lacrosse.

I completely understand your pet peeve, but the reason for this distinction is to clarify the subject for people who may not be familiar with the proper names of various sports stadia. While every Tiger fan should know the difference between Tiger Stadium and Comerica Park, a person who does not follow baseball could easily be confused by a news story about artificial turf being installed at "Tiger Stadium" and understandably think that the news story was referring to the current stadium where the Tigers play, and not the former stadium.

I would never say "old Tiger Stadium" when talking to a fellow Detroiter or Tiger Fan, but I always say "old Tiger Stadium" when talking to a person from another state, especially if they are not a baseball fan. In the same vein, I will refer to the Silverdome as the "Old Lion's Stadium", and Ford Field as the "New Lion's Stadium" when talking to a person who is unfamiliar with the the official stadium names.

It is kind of odd, but people say the old Olympia, too.

I'm assuming the "turf" will be the kind that is utilized in football stadiums that looks like natural grass somewhat and not the old crap that looks like a green carpet.

....and the "Old Lion's Stadium??

Quote Originally Posted by 19162 StLouis View Post
    ....and the "Old Lion's Stadium??
    Most people outside of Metro Detroit and Michigan do not know that the old Lion's stadium was called The Silverdome, and that the new Lion's stadium is called Ford Field.

I'm sure that most people in Indianapolis know the difference between the RCA Dome and Lucas Oil Stadium, but 99% of the people who don't live in Indiana would not recognize these official stadium names. However, if you said "the old Indianapolis Colt's stadium" and the "new Colt's stadium" most people would understand what you were talking about.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ggan/79695956/

It's official. The Field of Dreams will be replaced with a Field of Seams.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ggan/79695956/

It's official. The Field of Dreams will be replaced with a Field of Seams.
    Ugh ugh ugh.

Respectfully, I don't really see the problem. Modern synthetic turf is not the horrible Astroturf of yore, and the field is in really bad shape. Yeah, I know volunteers have done what they can and it's deeply appreciated by many including myself, but the field itself is now uneven, pitted, ruts in the dirt, etc.

Bring it up to playable conditions and keep it easy to maintain. The dirt, plate, bases will all still be in the same place. If it proves to be a huge success and funding for maintenance is available, they can always put sod back down. The important thing is that people, including many who never even knew Tiger Stadium, will continue to play baseball at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

P.S. I did some googling on this and found out that Detroit is one of only 2 of the 14 original major league franchises that have gotten new stadiums to preserve the ballfield at all. I hope knowing how exceptional this is might help some feel better about the outcome despite the aesthetic concerns [[not sarcasm).

Polo Grounds - apartments
    Ebbets Field - apartments
    Shibe Park - church
    Forbes Field - University of Pittsburgh buildings
    Comiskey Park - parking lot
    Griffith Stadium - Howard U. Hospital buildings
    Crosley Field - highway/parking lot
    Braves Stadium - Boston U. soccer+lacrosse field
    Cleveland Stadium - site of new NFL stadium
    Sportsmans' Park [[Busch Stadium 1953-66) - Boys' and Girls' Club football/soccer field

Old Yankee Stadium - site of a park with original diamond and dimensions

Fenway Park, Wrigley Field - still standing
    Last edited by Junjie; February-02-16 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    It is kind of odd, but people say the old Olympia, too.
    I won my very first black & white TV at Olympia when my dad took me to a Red Wings game when I was 7. We were sitting so high I was afraid to go up the stairs to our seats, but as soon as they called my ticket for the TV I flew down those steps to get it!

I hate artificial turf but I understand why they need to use it. I'd go down to watch some baseball there.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    P.S. I did some googling on this and found out that Detroit is one of only 2 of the 14 original major league franchises that have gotten new stadiums to preserve the ballfield at all. I hope knowing how exceptional this is might help some feel better about the outcome despite the aesthetic concerns [[not sarcasm).

Polo Grounds - apartments
    Ebbets Field - apartments
    Shibe Park - church
    Forbes Field - University of Pittsburgh buildings
    Comiskey Park - parking lot
    Griffith Stadium - Howard U. Hospital buildings
    Crosley Field - highway/parking lot
    Braves Stadium - Boston U. soccer+lacrosse field
    Cleveland Stadium - site of new NFL stadium
    Sportsmans' Park [[Busch Stadium 1953-66) - Boys' and Girls' Club football/soccer field

Old Yankee Stadium - site of a park with original diamond and dimensions

Fenway Park, Wrigley Field - still standing
    Of course I would love the original grass to stay, but I'm also not gonna let my preferences be in the way of development. Get the cranes out and start building!

It would be nice if they could return the Tiger Stadium and Ty Cobb plaques to the site. I believe they are both at the Historical museum. Anyone know who maintains this facility? Is it Parks & Rec or will PAL have its own people?

It would be nice if they could return the Tiger Stadium and Ty Cobb plaques to the site. I believe they are both at the Historical museum. Anyone know who maintains this facility? Is it Parks & Rec or will PAL have its own people?
    The point about the plaques is a good one. Turf aside, I want to hear more about how they plan to actually honor the Tigers and Tiger Stadium. E.g. will flagpole remain? Original dimensions are not fit for youth baseball, but any nod to 440' or the outfield fence? Historical markets or exhibits? Etc.

I really can't believe this is an issue. Next there are going to be people picketing along Michigan Avenue demanding all the dirt from the site go onto the National Historical Register and preserved in a giant glass jar.

I'm not sure what the costs to maintain grass is versus the expense to put in artificial turf. But I'd think if there were hundreds of kids playing on this surface every single day, natural grass would be worn out in about a week and look like a big brown patch. They surely have a maintenance budget they need to stick to. Yea natural grass looks better, but were not the ones paying for upkeep.

Default Bitch, Whine and Moan

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I really can't believe this is an issue. Next there are going to be people picketing along Michigan Avenue demanding all the dirt from the site go onto the National Historical Register and preserved in a giant glass jar.

I'm not sure what the costs to maintain grass is versus the expense to put in artificial turf. But I'd think if there were hundreds of kids playing on this surface every single day, natural grass would be worn out in about a week and look like a big brown patch. They surely have a maintenance budget they need to stick to. Yea natural grass looks better, but were not the ones paying for upkeep.
    Thanks Mikeg19
    Name:  images.png
Views: 1107
Size:  2.0 KB

I'm sick of old people talking about this site as if it has an intrinsic worth. It's just a piece of grass. To anyone under 30, to anyone who moved to Detroit after 2000. It looks like crap and even a McDonald's or WalMart would be better than what's there. Holding on to a past [[when there's no past there - unlike the train station) just makes you out of touch with reality. I don't give one ounce of care whether they use real grass, turf or making it an outdoor swimming pool. Nor should anyone else. The fact the question is posed is barbaric.

Did Larson Realty secure their financing for their development on the property as well? From what I recall is that PAL will get Northern and Western property and the Housing/Retail was to go along Michigan Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I'm sick of old people talking about this site as if it has an intrinsic worth. It's just a piece of grass. To anyone under 30, to anyone who moved to Detroit after 2000. It looks like crap and even a McDonald's or WalMart would be better than what's there. Holding on to a past [[when there's no past there - unlike the train station) just makes you out of touch with reality. I don't give one ounce of care whether they use real grass, turf or making it an outdoor swimming pool. Nor should anyone else. The fact the question is posed is barbaric.
    I simply made a little joke "field of seams". Get it? I also mentioned it would be nice if they could bring the plaques back since I'm certain they will want to honor Tiger Stadium with some sort of signage. Pretty well everyone on this site has stated they agreed, while natural grass would be ideal [[especially for the kids to play on), artificial turf will be more cost effective. But raising the question in the first place is barbaric? Uh, no. What the gov't did to the people of Flint might be though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast