Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit West Riverfront's Emergence - Mo Pop Leaves Sterling Heights' Freedom Hill

An emerging Downtown Event site is gaining momentum with the announcement that this year's Mo Pop festival is departing its Freedom Hill venue and will be held at Detroit's West Riverfront. The large swatch of vacant and grassy land, some of the site of the former Free Press printing plant, would seem to be an ideal location in many ways.

Mo Pop is joining the Downtown Hoedown in the movement to this new venue with its dramatic riverfront location and vistas of the downtown skyline and the bridge.

This flyover promo by the Hoedown displays the exciting assets of the site.
    https://youtu.be/qwfkVfvwmbo

“We’re excited to plant our festival flag in between views of the Detroit skyline and the Ambassador Bridge,” says Dan McGowan, managing partner of The Crofoot music venue in Pontiac who, in a partnership with AEG Live, is producing Mo Pop. “The energy in Detroit is tremendous. It’s another way for us to get involved in the city.”

Mo Pop is now in its third year and was previously held at Freedom Hill Amphitheatre in Sterling Heights. McGowan says he anticipates the largest festival yet with over 10,000 attendees expected over two days — a mix of local and out-of-state music fans.

The festival will be held July 25-26 at West Riverfront Park, a 20-acre expansion of the Detroit Riverfront that opened last year.
    Quoted from DBusiness

It's kind of surprising that a festival with modest mouse-esque millenial bands would have ever been in the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    It's kind of surprising that a festival with modest mouse-esque millenial bands would have ever been in the suburbs.
    its a hellova lot closer to the attendees' parents' houses....which is where they all live.

I think it's FAR more surprising the Hoe Down is still in Detroit.
    Last edited by bailey; April-03-15 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    its a hellova lot closer to the attendees' parents' houses....which is where they all live.
    Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Even the simplest thing like a concert brings out the 'city' vs. 'suburbs' mentality. I don't get it. Not every single bit of news about any thing that remotely has something to do with the city or suburbs has to bring this into play.

Except I guess it does.

Well, There goes the neighborhood.....

I just saw a TV commercial advertising the Hoe Down at West Riverfront Park and wondered to myself, "Where is this?". Now I know. Funny that these two events would want to go there to stage there events. It's mostly grass. Why not use Hart Plaza where you have two stages/performance areas, with room for more, and seating for your audience? They probably were enticed by some sweet deal that the Detroit RiverWalk Conservancy offered them since this is their property and they haven't promoted it since it's been open. I know on the few times I've been there I've said to myself, "This would be a great spot to view the fireworks." Well, maybe that's in the works too.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I just saw a TV commercial advertising the Hoe Down at West Riverfront Park and wondered to myself, "Where is this?". Now I know. Funny that these two events would want to go there to stage there events. It's mostly grass. Why not use Hart Plaza where you have two stages/performance areas, with room for more, and seating for your audience? They probably were enticed by some sweet deal that the Detroit RiverWalk Conservancy offered them since this is their property and they haven't promoted it since it's been open. I know on the few times I've been there I've said to myself, "This would be a great spot to view the fireworks." Well, maybe that's in the works too.
    Lol, have you ever been to Freedom Hill? Hart Plaza is the complete opposite of Freedom Hill and I'd imagine the organizers didn't want to go to Belle Isle because it's a little more complicated now that it's a state park.

during my pbr silo drinkin days i went to a passion pit concert. circa 2009...was a nice time
    Last edited by hybridy; April-03-15 at 03:47 PM.