Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit should Host the Indiana events.

Because of Indiana's right to discriminate bill, many events such as the NCAA and Gen Con are pulling out of Indianapolis. Also many businesses such as salesforce and Angie's List won't do business in Indiana.

These places need a place to go. I think they should come to Detroit.

you're a great city but your reputation has plagued you for years. Your Mayor should put out a press release saying he'd welcome everyone from Indianapolis to Detroit. Angie's List HQ was supposed to bring 1000 jobs to Indy they could be brought to Detroit I can tell you Eli Lily, a huge employer for Indianapolis, would really like to leave. Before the bill Indianapolis was known as a great place for tourism and business. This is your chance to show the world that you're just as good for that.

I'm sure the more Cynical of you will say "nobody will come here", "We're not good enough to host these things" "It's a waste of time". Maybe it's true it's a waste of time but I believe in this city and I believe that if you guys asked for it they will come.

Share on Facebook, Twitter and everywhere else. Ask your politicians to bring the indiana businesses and events to Detroit. I'm sure most of you will dismiss it but think about it what it could do for the city.

Just something to consider.

As to getting events, Detroit has a solid track record and that will continue. It's seen as a good if not great sports event city. Obviously, we've had the Final 4 in the recent past. Little too late for this year's final 4. If we get another, I am sure it will be on merit, and not because we are some moral paragon vis-a-vis our system of laws. We're not, plus many villainize Michigan for the marriage statute that is now on review at the Supreme Court. Without wading into that, I'll just say that we're not that much more progressive than Indiana.

And yes we should persuade and poach any and all corporations that are looking to leave any other city. Eli Lilly or otherwise. It's something the state and city are actively doing, I would believe.

The legislature and attorney general would need to curtail their own anti-gay agenda before this approach would work.

Michigan has its own right to discriminate bill. If an event left the Hoosier state for another based on the bill, they aren't going to another state that legalizes the same type of discrimination.

But I'm sure the bread-and-circuses crowd would love it here. More "urban revitalization excitement" through the glories of a 90 minute minor league basketball game. Maybe we can inherit the Indy moniker "Naptown".

Quote Originally Posted by starwriter1983 View Post
    Because of Indiana's right to discriminate bill, many events such as the NCAA and Gen Con are pulling out of Indianapolis. Also many businesses such as salesforce and Angie's List won't do business in Indiana.

These places need a place to go. I think they should come to Detroit.

you're a great city but your reputation has plagued you for years. Your Mayor should put out a press release saying he'd welcome everyone from Indianapolis to Detroit. Angie's List HQ was supposed to bring 1000 jobs to Indy they could be brought to Detroit I can tell you Eli Lily, a huge employer for Indianapolis, would really like to leave. Before the bill Indianapolis was known as a great place for tourism and business. This is your chance to show the world that you're just as good for that.

I'm sure the more Cynical of you will say "nobody will come here", "We're not good enough to host these things" "It's a waste of time". Maybe it's true it's a waste of time but I believe in this city and I believe that if you guys asked for it they will come.

Share on Facebook, Twitter and everywhere else. Ask your politicians to bring the indiana businesses and events to Detroit. I'm sure most of you will dismiss it but think about it what it could do for the city.

Just something to consider.
    I need the right emoticon for this, but I've been suggesting that Detroit go after B1G events such as their hoops tourney [[come to the much 'hated' new arena being built at the corner of Woodward/Fisher).

NFL combine.

B1G football championship.

Detroit will have [[come 2017) some of the best combined sports facilities in the world with Ford Field, new arena, and all of the hotel beds in the area.

Indy, just keep messing up and Detroit will pick up the pieces...

NO state wants other states trying to poach their big events as a result of something as unnecessary as this legislation.

To use the sports metaphor: [[Indiana) "Unforced turnover". Pure and simple.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-02-15 at 05:01 AM.

Why would you think Detroiters, who have recently hosted the World Series, All-Star Game, Final Four, the Auto Show, etc. would think "we're not good enough"?. Thanks for the advice but from what backwater do you hail?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Why would you think Detroiters, who have recently hosted the World Series, All-Star Game, Final Four, the Auto Show, etc. would think "we're not good enough"?. Thanks for the advice but from what backwater do you hail?
    Hear, hear!

Maybe if Michigan had gay marriage this could be an option. But at this point we're not really in great shape LGBTQ-rights wise.

It's probably not likely now that the drive from Detroit between Chicago just got ridiculous.
    Name:  indiana.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  55.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Maybe if Michigan had gay marriage this could be an option. But at this point we're not really in great shape LGBTQ-rights wise.
    Well, "not really in great shape" is a far cry from "completely effing awful". Let's take advantage of both sides of the freedom of speech sword, and the current state of sentiment about such things.

Indiana is free to express its collective opinion however it likes, and enacting legislation is perhaps one of the harsher ways to express an opinion. Consumers and businesses are then free to react to the opinion of Indiana however they want, within reason, and declining to do business with or in the state is certainly within reason.

Gov. Snyder, who is business savvy in a way that Gov. Pence appears not to be, has observed the Indiana tornado and wisely foreclosed the possibility of his signing any similar law, which to me is a clear statement to the LGBT community, and those [[like your kindly old Professor) who believes they ought to be able to live in peace, that Michigan is at least not proposing to become a worse place for them to live, shop, etc.

So I'm with the thread topic: let's swoop while the swooping is good

I echo what 401don said and add: Super Bowl XL. Again, we sort of expect these events in Detroit, and frankly it's an affront the certain events like the Big Ten bball tourney haven't rotated through here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    It would help if the state government wasn't continuing to defend the ban, Alabama style, and trying to curtail adoption by same-sex couples as well. Think of all the Chicago dollars flooding into Allegan County if Saugatuck/Douglass could be a wedding destination!

Governor Snyder says he would veto such a bill.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/s...-bill/32156824

But we still hate Snyder, right?

I really meant no disrespect but I when I suggested it on twitter most of the responses I got where from people laughing at my suggestion and the overall attitude was Detroit sucks some from people who supposedly lived there. I was just trying to shut down any haters or cynics before they started because I believe it's good idea and I was trying counter their poison.

I'm from Indianapolis but honestly screw them. I have relatives in the Ann Arbor area and I've been to Detroit. It doesn't deserve all that bad press and the nation needs to see that. It would make me happy to see "Gen Con: Detroit" merchandise, to see Eli Lily opening their new plant in Detroit and yes host another super bowl. Tell your government to welcome these events with open arms and have them saying let's go to Detroit! #cometodetroit at least that's hashtag I came up with.
    Last edited by starwriter1983; April-02-15 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post

No, I don't hate Snyder; that's reserved for Schuette, who is firmly grounded in the 1950's. Snyder resides somewhere closer to the latter part of the last century, but not in the mid-century.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-02-15 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It's probably not likely now that the drive from Detroit between Chicago just got ridiculous.
    Name:  indiana.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  55.0 KB
    There's always the Lake Michigan route.

http://www.lake-express.com/

http://www.ssbadger.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post

FWIW, Snyder also said he would veto a Right-to-Work bill, and yet lo and behold what was signed into law...

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    There's always the Lake Michigan route.

http://www.lake-express.com/

http://www.ssbadger.com/index.php
    Except in winter and stormy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Michigan has its own right to discriminate bill. If an event left the Hoosier state for another based on the bill, they aren't going to another state that legalizes the same type of discrimination.

But I'm sure the bread-and-circuses crowd would love it here. More "urban revitalization excitement" through the glories of a 90 minute minor league basketball game. Maybe we can inherit the Indy moniker "Naptown".

Michigan does have a their own version of religious freedom act proposal, but it still the law file cabinet closed and sealed for a long time. Besides Gov. Snyder, the nerd will not sign the bill into law. He doesn't want to see Michigan under fire by homosexuals and other anti-religious fanatics holding signs and occupying Lansing for long time. Not to mention a quick sudden loss of regional jobs. It could hurt Detroit, suburbs and other Michigan cities. This state is O.K. for now.

Because Michigan and Detroit are just so freaking LGBTQ-friendly? What fantasy land do you people live in? Even anti-gay Indiana has legal gay marriage, whereas Michigan still does not. In fact, Michigan is just one of 14 remaining states where gay marriage is still banned. We're in no position to poach anything from anyone.

Rolling Stone named Michigan in its Top 5 "Worst States for LGBTQ People."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...eople-20141124
    Last edited by aj3647; April-03-15 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...Gov. Snyder ... doesn't want to see Michigan under fire by homosexuals and other anti-religious fanatics holding signs and occupying Lansing for long time. Not to mention a quick sudden loss of regional jobs. It could hurt Detroit, suburbs and other Michigan cities. This state is O.K. for now.
    So you're saying Snyder has been "bullied" into support?

All religious freedom laws being passed in some states are indeed unconstitutional and unjust. The new version of segregation coming back to haunt the American People. We are indeed not a free country! Here's how real religious freedom law works:

1. The biased news media reported that religious freedom law meant that businesses that are owned and operated by religious officials can have the right to turn away homosexuals. It's a ill, because most religious freedom laws can denied anyone based on race, sex, age, non-religious person and yes even religious folks.

2. A person can not sue anyone business owner for their denial for public service. In fact any businesses can put up a sign saying "NO HOMOSEXUALS", NO ATHEISTS, NO KIDS ALLOWED!" or maybe "NO COLOREDS!" Yes their civil rights are being violated, but's their way. I can't wait to see what would happen if any religious fanatic hand NO JEWS or the word "JUDEN" in their windows.

3. The religious freedom law will give powers to any churches, synagogues and mosques, satanic and atheists clubs to deny anyone affiliated with other beliefs and values.

The State of Indiana is going to suffer under this law. So far Arkansas and Michigan have their religious freedom laws pass through its legislature, but their governors will say "For heaven sakes no!"

Since freedom of religion under the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution is a necessity for all people. We don't another law to keep people of religions, non-religions and other cultures, race and sex out of our lives. America is suppose to be a free county with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not a totalitarian neo-facist regime that rival other ancient brutal oppressed empires of the past.

I will say to all America people go shop, occupy and do business in every store, you have the civil right to do so. That so call religious freedom law means nothing to me. If any business denies me service, I will occupy that area all day until I get my served. It will be black folks in 1960's civil rights era walking into a "whites only" lunch county waiting to be served.

If Snyder refuses to sign the RTRF bill, I predict that the legislature will create a public ballot proposal for the fall or next spring. And it will pass.