Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bus Fee for Entry to Belle Isle

Quite often I give bus tours of Detroit. Last summer I asked a state person person on Belle Isle about the cost of bring a bus to tour the island. I was told there was no charge. Last Saturday, I led a bus tour and stopped at the toll booth. I was told the charge for a bus tour was $16. I chatted for some time, gave the toll taker $21 and expected to get $5 in return. I continued to chat and she returned the $21. Does anyone know if there is a charge to take a tour bus onto the island? Is there anyway I can use my personal recreational pass when I am leading a bus tour? Thank you

Wow, didn't even know they had a toll booth now. Do my dogs need to be quaranteed? Winter is not our thing. Spring, summer and fall. That's when we visit lots. Have our plates. State cops amazing rude.

From the DNR website:

have a commercial vehicle. How do I get the Recreation Passport?
    The Secretary of State will not be offering the Recreation Passport to owners of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight [[GVW) of over 24,000 pounds or vans/buses with a capacity of 16 or more. These vehicles, as well as tour buses, will be required to purchase a $16.00 permit, good for that day only, upon park entry. If you have a commercial vehicle without a Recreation Passport and you are using the vehicle for non-commercial, recreational use in the park, you will need to purchase the Recreation Passport at the park.

I was skeptical when Belle Isle was changed to a State Park. There have been some complaints about rude State Police, but the several times we have visited, there have been no problems. We strictly adhere to the speed limit. Nice to see less litter [[perhaps even a bit of overkill on the number of trash containers), and the restrooms opened and maintained, at least near the Conservatory.
    Looking forward to warm weather, and renting a bicycle!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I was skeptical when Belle Isle was changed to a State Park. There have been some complaints about rude State Police, but the several times we have visited, there have been no problems. We strictly adhere to the speed limit. Nice to see less litter [[perhaps even a bit of overkill on the number of trash containers), and the restrooms opened and maintained, at least near the Conservatory.
    When I was there a couple weeks ago I didn't see a single cop. There was a small group of cars doing burn outs in the road. We'll see what happens when the weather warms up.

We have an event there in October. They stated that shuttle buses bringing people on the island and vendors all must have the permit. Even if it is for only one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Nice to hear. I take rudeness complaints with a grain of sale. If you feel disenfranchised, you sometimes look for slights. I would expect the State Boys on BI would be extremely restrained and if anything detached. They have to know that some are fishing for evidence that the State Police are the vanguard of an occupying army from Howell.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Wow, didn't even know they had a toll booth now. Do my dogs need to be quaranteed? Winter is not our thing. Spring, summer and fall. That's when we visit lots. Have our plates. State cops amazing rude.
    could you you be more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    When I was there a couple weeks ago I didn't see a single cop. There was a small group of cars doing burn outs in the road. We'll see what happens when the weather warms up.
    Ha! Saw my first red-bubbled blue sedan coming off the island this morning...it MUST be Spring. He was alone, so it must not be mating season for them yet.

What time of day were those burn-outs happening?!

Why is it that every thread regarding Belle Isle questions immediately devolves into comments regarding peoples perspectives on policing and garbage. And by the same posters.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Why is it that every thread regarding Belle Isle questions immediately devolves into comments regarding peoples perspectives on policing and garbage. And by the same posters.

You're right. I've considered going for the gold...why the new pavement paint wore off over the Winter...but haven't been able to sneak it past the low-hanging fruit.

It DID seem that the Troopers were interested in mating something last year...I'm fascinated by this invasive species and how it adapts to its new surroundings.

Comments seem to be made by people who visit the island fairly frequently. Could be because of the high police visibility on the island. Just guessing. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It DID seem that the Troopers were interested in mating something last year...I'm fascinated by this invasive species and how it adapts to its new surroundings.
    John, you sound excited and whistful, I do hope you get to mate with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    John, you sound excited and whistful, I do hope you get to mate with one.
    Pretty sure John has a lovely significant other. Who would or why bond with bubble gum?

Maybe you want to deal with IT'S JEFF memorial, clearly damaged by lawn crews, we went to talk civily with the enscounced state park folk at the white house on the island, to discuss plans to repair, replace and cost accountability.

Wow, the bitch at the desk had troopers surrounding us. Never raised our voices etc. My husband spent many years as a diplomate for foreign governments. He uses a walker, myself a cane, real scary folk, I guess. Fuck, we are even white. Real bad taste from that experience!

Have the file, new contacts, but feel free to take the info over. Watch the amazing disrepect. Most likely you don't even know who Jeff was. We will donate towards the loving repair of a memorial for a beloved person.

Haven't seen any amazing improvement. But like one poster said, Sumas, tell us what you really think

Most likely you don't even know who Jeff was.
    I don't. Why don't you share his story with us?

Maybe you want to deal with IT'S JEFF memorial, clearly damaged by lawn crews, we went to talk civily with the enscounced state park folk at the white house on the island, to discuss plans to repair, replace and cost accountability.

Wow, the bitch at the desk had troopers surrounding us. Never raised our voices etc. My husband spent many years as a diplomate for foreign governments. He uses a walker, myself a cane, real scary folk, I guess. Fuck, we are even white. Real bad taste from that experience!

Have the file, new contacts, but feel free to take the info over. Watch the amazing disrepect. Most likely you don't even know who Jeff was. We will donate towards the loving repair of a memorial for a beloved person.

Haven't seen any amazing improvement. But like one poster said, Sumas, tell us what you really think
    I've been involved with state parks over the years. I was on the board of Friends of Pontiac Lake State Recreation Area for a few years. Back then, the park system had an uneasy relationship with memorial trees and benches. Exactly for the reasons that you mention above.

They farmed the purchasing [[from donations) and maintenance of the benches off onto the Friends group. The ranger we worked with said he was more interested in the big picture. We, in the Friends group, could spend the time on some of the details.

WOW sumas, you're right, I didn't know your deceased buddy Jeff. Not to mention that he, nor your issues regarding cops and trash, have shit to do with a bus fee. But your response right here, is the reason I posted my point in the first place. Excuse me...
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-03-15 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Comments seem to be made by people who visit the island fairly frequently. Could be because of the high police visibility on the island. Just guessing. Your thoughts?
    Hey, I've been the first one to bitch when this whole state take over of Belle isle thing started. I'm always looking for perspective, and am waiting for someone, anyone to convince me that my suspicions regarding ulterior motives are false. Not one Detroit friend of mine, enough to fill a large bus I'm sure, will step foot on the island, a place I used to visit about once every week or two year round. And they have no problem paying for a yearly pass or picking up some trash. Renf, to answer your question, it's $16 for the bus, it applies to all MI state parks, they hand you a window sticker. Sounds like the lady was just being nice to you.

Interesting, have driven on the Isle , twice this past week and a half and no one was at the booth either time,, we didnt even know it was open.
    Gosh, we have had several discussions with state cops there so far and they have always been real nice,, one waved to us as left the Isle on Monday.. hopefully all will be well,, it looks so nice and clean,, what a change.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Interesting, have driven on the Isle , twice this past week and a half and no one was at the booth either time,, we didnt even know it was open.
    Gosh, we have had several discussions with state cops there so far and they have always been real nice,, one waved to us as left the Isle on Monday.. hopefully all will be well,, it looks so nice and clean,, what a change.
    I'm not sure how they will operate the one on Belle Isle, but in general the State Park entrance booths are much more likely to be closed since the introduction of the recreation passport. The reduction in staffing of the booths was supposed to be one of the major benefits of the passport. That way the workforce could focus on other duties throughout the park system. It appears to be working as there has been a noticeable increase in maintenance activities at the parks by my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm not sure how they will operate the one on Belle Isle, but in general the State Park entrance booths are much more likely to be closed since the introduction of the recreation passport. The reduction in staffing of the booths was supposed to be one of the major benefits of the passport. That way the workforce could focus on other duties throughout the park system. It appears to be working as there has been a noticeable increase in maintenance activities at the parks by my house.
    An empty booth is a bad idea. If they are going to enforce the passes, they should enforce the passes...and have a warm live body available during all operating hours for the purchase of annual and day passes, and answering general questions.

Thursday morning was the first time I've been waved down by anyone at the new booth. The fellow was not wearing a uniform, nor any form of state identification...but wanted to know if my tag was 'up to date'. We chatted for a short while about the Gran Prix setting up a few months early...and I went on my way. Not suspecting a thing.

Until the next day, when I showed up a half hour later...thinking if they are going to have a booth I'd rather impress the guy to remember me so I won't be forced to be social on ugly-mood mornings, before my Fix-of-Nature public spa session.

There was nobody around, and it looked like the lock on the booth was open. So, now I'm wondering who the heck that dude WAS...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    An empty booth is a bad idea. If they are going to enforce the passes, they should enforce the passes...and have a warm live body available during all operating hours for the purchase of annual and day passes, and answering general questions.

Thursday morning was the first time I've been waved down by anyone at the new booth. The fellow was not wearing a uniform, nor any form of state identification...but wanted to know if my tag was 'up to date'. We chatted for a short while about the Gran Prix setting up a few months early...and I went on my way. Not suspecting a thing.

Until the next day, when I showed up a half hour later...thinking if they are going to have a booth I'd rather impress the guy to remember me so I won't be forced to be social on ugly-mood mornings, before my Fix-of-Nature public spa session.

There was nobody around, and it looked like the lock on the booth was open. So, now I'm wondering who the heck that dude WAS...
    Well Gannon, you can always borrow our van for that trip to Belle Isle. Been supporting State Parks for years, Seriously, I just find the park kind of creepy now. Rented out, people displaced.

Forgot the Grand Prix. Can't go without a ticket. Forgot....free day Friday, it's a big no deal.

It's just a venue now waiting to be rented out.

Well Gannon, you can always borrow our van for that trip to Belle Isle. Been supporting State Parks for years, Seriously, I just find the park kind of creepy now. Rented out, people displaced.

Forgot the Grand Prix. Can't go without a ticket. Forgot....free day Friday, it's a big no deal.

It's just a venue now waiting to be rented out.

When the western beauty of the island is held captive by cement barriers and empty grandstands...for a quarter of the year...all for a three-day event, it is more than a mere venue rental.

Thanks for the offer...don't know where you got the impression I needed help to access the island. We're campers, and have had the pass since it became available. Wouldn't drive onto the island without it...

I think the fellow I mentioned was an entrepreneur, and found a way to fleece some unsuspecting citizens...like the dirt-lot operators downtown. I didn't hand him any cash...didn't need to...but if he IS official, I hope they get him a uniform quickly. And insure he and those like him work all the hours the park is open.

Sorry Gannon, no intention to insult.

I am curious now. Used to take a van full of area kids to the island. Do I need a special pass for that? The only thing I never did was take the kids swimming. The responsibility for that was not something I care to take on.

I bought a lift for Ron's scooter, does that need a plate too? Not being facietious at all. Need to get it out of moth balls for the summer.

Ron doesn't drink but if I want a beer do I need a special one day pass? Rules and regulations, maybe our council or state officials should send us ignorant Detroiters a rule book. Do I need a special pass for my dogs? All have their shots up to date and liscenced but I don't display tags on collars. Lots of questions????
    Last edited by sumas; April-05-15 at 04:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast