Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ode to Southwest Detroit

Check the link below for the latest Neal Rubin blog entry....about SW D.

Here's to continued promotion of the good things happening now/around Detroit....

Check it out:

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/n...blog/index.php

stinkbug Guest

Nice, but this one had me:

"It's a place of flourishing rosebushes in front of well-kept houses in neighborhoods that make you think, "I could live here. I'd like to live here.""

Some of us do actually think, "I live here" when we walk into one of those houses. Because I do. It's not Mars, dude.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Nice, but this one had me:

"It's a place of flourishing rosebushes in front of well-kept houses in neighborhoods that make you think, "I could live here. I'd like to live here.""

Some of us do actually think, "I live here" when we walk into one of those houses. Because I do. It's not Mars, dude.
    People who already live there probably don't need Neal Rubin to tell them about it. Then again, some people don't get out much.

Word up. Hubbard Farms and SW in Neal's house.

I don't think he was directing the comments to the people that live here, which is exactly the point. The ones who don't get out much probably DO consider parts of their own county as inhospitable as Mars.

Silly Neal, what was he thinking. I guess nobody should say anything positive about any part of the city. Good plan.
    Last edited by 4Oranges; August-05-09 at 11:10 PM.

When I pass through Southwest Detroit it always feels like I'm in a different city. In a sense it is a time-capsule of how Detroit looked in the past - houses close together, parking in the back via alleys, congested commercial strips [[ Vernor and Michigna Avenue - from Livernois to Wyoming), mom and pop stores, and a large Catholic contingent [[St. Anne and Holy Redeemer parishes). Also, Vernor reminds me of what Mack, from St. Aubin to St. Jean, must have looked like in its better days. Southwest Detroit is not perfect but it has a lot in place that's positive. Something you don't hear to often when describing Detroit.